1993 SVT Cobra - "First Production Cobra"

St8-E

Established Member
Cool article, but not entirely accurate...said about the 18 "pre-productions" never being offered to the public...there are several out there that the "public" now has...including me!

BrettT 93|03

93 & 03 Cobra Venom
Established Member
Wow, Koons Ford of Baltimore. I grew up 5 minutes from there. I actually almost purchased myfirst mustang a 92 ultra blue gt from there..... ended it up getting it from Normandy Ford about 8 miles from Koons.

rolltide93

Established Member
Cool article, but not entirely accurate...said about the 18 "pre-productions" never being offered to the public...there are several out there that the "public" now has...including me!

Don't you think maybe someone like one of the ford reps just sold it after a while, maybe it is accurate and they were given to ford reps and maybe some of them just didn't want them anymore and sold them, you don't think every car ever given to a rep. stays in his garage forever. It seems as though every specialty car built the manufacturer gives the first few to the big wigs.

St8-E

Established Member
Don't you think maybe someone like one of the ford reps just sold it after a while, maybe it is accurate and they were given to ford reps and maybe some of them just didn't want them anymore and sold them, you don't think every car ever given to a rep. stays in his garage forever. It seems as though every specialty car built the manufacturer gives the first few to the big wigs.

Merely commenting on what was said in the article

"In August 1992, SVT built 18 pre-production Cobras for research and development. Several were used for crash-testing and never saw the light of day outside Ford. The remaining cars were kept in-house for internal use and never released to the public."

They were released to the public as the pre-productions are now owned by the public. #19 was just the first car given specifically to a dealership to be sold to the public...Regardless...it's a pretty cool article

To be honest, I have no idea where my car was before it was sold to the "public"...I do know it wasn't a magazine car because the engine bay isn't clearcoated...It would be pretty cool to find out exactly what it was used for when Ford owned it

Last edited:

rolltide93

Established Member
Merely commenting on what was said in the article

"In August 1992, SVT built 18 pre-production Cobras for research and development. Several were used for crash-testing and never saw the light of day outside Ford. The remaining cars were kept in-house for internal use and never released to the public."

They were released to the public as the pre-productions are now owned by the public. #19 was just the first car given specifically to a dealership to be sold to the public...Regardless...it's a pretty cool article

To be honest, I have no idea where my car was before it was sold to the "public"...I do know it wasn't a magazine car because the engine bay isn't clearcoated...It would be pretty cool to find out exactly what it was used for when Ford owned it

st8-E I was by no means trying to tell you where your car came from or that you are wrong, I have no idea how they got out just throwing ideas out there, they got out somehow and you have a really cool car bro.

St8-E

Established Member
st8-E I was by no means trying to tell you where your car came from or that you are wrong, I have no idea how they got out just throwing ideas out there, they got out somehow and you have a really cool car bro.

Oh no....hahaha..this is the problem with posting things on forums...I wasn't trying to blast you at all...nor did I take what you said as offensive! I wish there was more info. on these cars...Really there isn't anything special about my car...just a low number...but you put it next to any other Teal/Leather cobra of a higher number and there is NO difference...

bossman302

Banned
I to found this artice a little off, that is the issue with the 93's, their was tow prototype cars, 18 pre production show cars, and then #19 first true production car. I think they are all rare cars, and have their own place, as would the last production 93. Maybe one day they can do an article with them all.

Last edited:

04SVTMystic