1993 Mustang GT idling issue's

2slow_5.0s

Established Member
Ok so here's the problem...

I have a 1993 Mustang GT, 331 Stroker, Holley systemax upper and lower intake, svo heads, erson cam, air pump deleted with a smaller belt. My issue is my alternator finally took a dump and I just replaced it yesterday. When I was driving my car with the bad alternator my car idled perfectly on a charged battery. So after replacing it with a remanufactured alternator my car dosent want to stay idling, it boggles up and down, up then down. up then dies... Even when I'm driving and shift out of gear into neutral and riding, RPM's will shoot up then down, up then dies while driving it. Battery get's charged, just has idling issue's now.

Any opinion's would be helpful, I've tried just about everything I could think of.

Thanks

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Are you sure you have good solid connections, and a wire just isn't loose? or something along those lines. I would re-check any wiring and nuts/bolts you touched just to make sure.

2slow_5.0s

Established Member
Are you sure you have good solid connections, and a wire just isn't loose? or something along those lines. I would re-check any wiring and nuts/bolts you touched just to make sure.

I'll double check everything, i'm sure everything is connected properly though. Before my original alternator went on me it did it before. it seems to idle perfectly on just a charged battery but not when the alternator is connected. Any idea what size belt i should have on there with the air pump deleted? Thanks

racerx3317

Your computer has to re-learn it's idle strategy since the power loss. It will take a while but it should correct itself. Used to happen on my 89. It would idle funny for a couple of weeks then clear out.

MustangerMike

Established Member
what kind of MAF? did you remove it during the alt swap? could the orientation (of the MAF) have changed on reinstall?

Bfazona

Established Member
This is a late response, but check your MAF sensor and make sure it is clean and/or clean it. A small piece of dirt or drop of oil from your filter will definitely affect it. Also, check your TPS sensor and IAC. Both of those affect idle and it is common for the TPS sensor to go bad. I've had them go bad in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread