1985 Mustang GT mini resto/build

cobraCRZY48

Established Member
So here goes my first attempt at a thread. First off not looking to copy Tony Frank and his awesome 85 mustang. Just wanting to document the journey between before and after. A quick back story before getting into the car. In 1985 my dad bought a brand new light regatta blue 85 mustang gt convertible. The car has been in the family longer than I have, and I have always loved it and 4 eye fox's. Being the gear head I am I have always wanted to modify it. However, the car is a mostly original 27k mile time capsule, and most of all my Dad doesn't seem to agree. So next idea is finding a light regatta blue hard top 85 mustang and modifying that. After searching for the right car for almost 5 years I finally found one I wouldn't feel bad modifying yet wasn't so bad it needed complete restoration.

The car I am working with is a light regatta blue 85 mustang gt hard top with 71K original miles. Mods already done to the car:
-347 stroker with stock block, X303 cam, Aluminum heads (unknown brand or specs), Edelbrock Intake, Weber carb (Unknown CFM), Shorty headers, H-pipe, Pypes Violators, SVE Aluminium radiator, Electric Fan.
-5 lug conversion with SVE anniversary wheels.
-8.8 rear end conversion.
-Unknown sub frame connectors (welded in at least).
-Budget wire tuck with Scott Rod panels riveted in place, Battery relocated to the trunk.

Overall it's a good starting point. Runs and drives good, interior is original and super nice (car does have 140 mph speedo), body is straight with only one rust spot on the rear hatch near the tag lights. The biggest negative is the car needs paint. I am guessing it set outside for a while because the hood, roof, and trunk are all faded pretty good. All the trim is faded and some of the weather stripping looks pretty sad.

So here are some pics of what I am starting with and the convertible. Planning on changing up the exhaust very soon. Followed by the electric fan. Then blowing her apart to get painted!
50030724476_f34f2f4c67_k.jpg
IMG_9845 on Flickr

50030184443_e358862a1c_k.jpg
IMG_3241 on Flickr

50030985497_aa74e8d346_k.jpg
IMG_2564 on Flickr

50030986732_795c9a2f37_k.jpg
IMG_9846 on Flickr

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I will start by saying im humbled and honored at the same time people still think about my build and I have possibly inspired others as well.

I am excited to watch this unfold. People thought I was crazy for building such a clean car to begin with but I don't regret it at all. If I could do mine all over again I would put AC in mine since it was a factory AC delete car. That is the one thing that would make the car perfect and drive year round.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Nice! The x303 is not a bad cam. Lots of guys will talk shit about it though. It likes RPM. I had one in a built / carbed 86...it was a healthy car. Figure out what heads and carb you have!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cobraCRZY48

Established Member
Should be an awesome build.
Thank you! I'm looking forward to the journey.

I will start by saying im humbled and honored at the same time people still think about my build and I have possibly inspired others as well.

I am excited to watch this unfold. People thought I was crazy for building such a clean car to begin with but I don't regret it at all. If I could do mine all over again I would put AC in mine since it was a factory AC delete car. That is the one thing that would make the car perfect and drive year round.
Your car is absolute perfection! If mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be super happy. Mine had A/C from the factory, but previous owner deleted it. I am strongly considering putting it back in!

That thing is sick
Thank you!!

Nice! The x303 is not a bad cam. Lots of guys will talk shit about it though. It likes RPM. I had one in a built / carbed 86...it was a healthy car. Figure out what heads and carb you have!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I am liking the X303 so far. Good drive ability, good idle chop and seems to pull pretty strong. As far as the heads I did find some info in some old paper work. They are 64cc heads with 1.940 Intake valve and 1.640 exhaust valve. Still no idea what brand they are. I ran the numbers on the carb shows its a 600 cfm edelbrock but it says Weber clear as can be on the side.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Your car is absolute perfection! If mine turns out half as good as yours I'll be super happy. Mine had A/C from the factory, but previous owner deleted it. I am strongly considering putting it back in!

I would. it may rob you of maybe 5hp... over compensate that with a blower or some cool shit like that. Looking forward to how this unfolds.

cobraCRZY48

Established Member
I am in the process of changing up the exhaust on the 85 right now. Sticking with the shorty headers for now but I'm going from an H pipe to a bbk X pipe. Which was actually kinda hard to find. The shorty x pipe for long tubes is impossible to find by the way. For the cat back I was debating between Spintechs and Mangnaflow competition. I ended up going with the mangnaflow because I wanted to try a straight through design muffler rather than chambered and seems to be a little more unique. After the install I am quite disappointed. Sounds great but the way it fits and looks isn't going to work for me. The tips are to big for my liking (3.5 inch) I don't like how it looks from the side of the car and most of all its extremely tight between the tire and the gas tank. I had to go grab a small set of wheel spacers so it would clear to drive home! I knew 3 inch was tight on a fox but with 275's its almost impossible. So I've already called up spintech and ordered a system from then and I ordered pypes tail pipes. Hopefully this combo works better for me.

50038387573_695540eff2_b.jpg
IMG_2819

50039196377_bf3817052a_b.jpgIMG_2818

50038387563_0df0a3d27a_b.jpgIMG_3597

50038386953_7f788275f3_b.jpgIMG_3598

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Im not sure I’ve ever seen that color (let alone on a 4eye) before. I’d drive the HELL out of that car as it sits. Lower it and find chrome wheels and tint and giggle like a little 80s child every time I started it.

Very cool.

Diablo Mike

Trinity Guy
Authorized Vendor
Love these 4 eye foxes. I too dig the color.
I’d give the paint some love and see if it will come back...

cobraCRZY48

Established Member
Im not sure I’ve ever seen that color (let alone on a 4eye) before. I’d drive the HELL out of that car as it sits. Lower it and find chrome wheels and tint and giggle like a little 80s child every time I started it.

Very cool.
Thank you! Lowering and tint are on my list. I'm still undecided on wheels. Is that a grabber blue GT500 I see in you profile pic??

Love these 4 eye foxes. I too dig the color.
I’d give the paint some love and see if it will come back...
That was my original plan. I was actually washing it planning to clay bar it and start polishing but I blew some paint off the roof.

Are you going to stay with the same mufflers ?
I'm actually going with Spintech 6000. Know anyone who wants to buy a lightly used magnaflow competition catback? Lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I am in the process of changing up the exhaust on the 85 right now. Sticking with the shorty headers for now but I'm going from an H pipe to a bbk X pipe. Which was actually kinda hard to find. The shorty x pipe for long tubes is impossible to find by the way. For the cat back I was debating between Spintechs and Mangnaflow competition. I ended up going with the mangnaflow because I wanted to try a straight through design muffler rather than chambered and seems to be a little more unique. After the install I am quite disappointed. Sounds great but the way it fits and looks isn't going to work for me. The tips are to big for my liking (3.5 inch) I don't like how it looks from the side of the car and most of all its extremely tight between the tire and the gas tank. I had to go grab a small set of wheel spacers so it would clear to drive home! I knew 3 inch was tight on a fox but with 275's its almost impossible. So I've already called up spintech and ordered a system from then and I ordered pypes tail pipes. Hopefully this combo works better for me.

View attachment 1648040IMG_2819

View attachment 1648041IMG_2818

View attachment 1648042IMG_3597

View attachment 1648043IMG_3598

Car sounds great, what makes you want to change the exhaust?

I ve heard spintech on S197 with an x pipe that sounded great. But thats all.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Thank you! Lowering and tint are on my list. I'm still undecided on wheels. Is that a grabber blue GT500 I see in you profile pic??

Yep, want to add a 69/70 and a Fox before I get too old.

On a side note, my wife absolutely hates Fox body Mustangs. I showed her yours last night before bed. She had tossed the phone back at me and said “ugh” before I even had a chance to tell her I wanted one. Only the 100th time she’s done that...

cobraCRZY48

Established Member
Car sounds great, what makes you want to change the exhaust?

I ve heard spintech on S197 with an x pipe that sounded great. But thats all.
I'm not happy with how it fits and look. I feel like the exhaust tips are to big and I don't like how you can see the raw pipe and clamp from the side of the car. As far as the fit it keeps rubbing on the right rear tire. It is super tight between the gas tank and tire. I'll post a video once I get the Spintechs on!
Yep, want to add a 69/70 and a Fox before I get too old.

On a side note, my wife absolutely hates Fox body Mustangs. I showed her yours last night before bed. She had tossed the phone back at me and said “ugh” before I even had a chance to tell her I wanted one. Only the 100th time she’s done that...
My Dad has a 14 Grabber blue GT500. Love that car!! Maybe you should just show up with a foxbody and go with the forgiveness over permission approach. Lol

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I'm not happy with how it fits and look. I feel like the exhaust tips are to big and I don't like how you can see the raw pipe and clamp from the side of the car. As far as the fit it keeps rubbing on the right rear tire. It is super tight between the gas tank and tire. I'll post a video once I get the Spintechs on!

My Dad has a 14 Grabber blue GT500. Love that car!! Maybe you should just show up with a foxbody and go with the forgiveness over permission approach. Lol

Yes please post a video when you change to spintech

triple-s

Established Member
I was going to order a magnaflow cat back for my fox too but you're right I don't like how the tailpipe looks. Definitely post the spin tech please.

Users who are viewing this thread