1985 GT build thread.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
That sucks about the wheels... If it was me, I would have all 4 done again and just bite the bullet on it. It's going to be had to get an exact match on it and if it's off at all it going to drive you crazy.

The problem I have is that since the beginning of this project I have been paying for top dollar for everything.. that was my choice and I have no problem doing that. The problem is when I pay top dollar and I have to fix their mistakes myself or pay someone else on top of that.

I understand biting the bullet as I have the whole entire build, but I am getting sick of paying for other peoples mistakes.

I'm nervous about mounting my new wheels too. I'm going to be pacing the whole time they're doing the job...

Yeah, word to the wise, get something in writing that states they wont "repair" the wheel if its messed up, you want a replacement not a fix.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Things have been crazy lately...

Sold my truck - great profit made
bought a beater to daily
Vacation to Chicago
sold daily beater - made a smaller profit
Bought a nice daily
Vacation to Mexico

During all of this I was super upset with my Mustang, didn't want to work on it and ever debated parting it out. Once I looked at what I could get I realized I didn't want to lose 20+k on this car so there is only one thing to do...

Few small updates...

First off, I am getting my wheels recoated, I peeled off a sample to send off to a company over in Tennessee to match the color. I should see the sample in the next couple days and if that is close I decided I will just redcoat all 4 wheels since I will be forced to buy 5lbs of powder.

If anyone remembers I had a Corbeau harness bar, well that thing was so far off from fitting it wasn't funny, so this thing will have to do. Downside is that it weighs a ton :/
EC22BB05-81E9-4446-BBD1-E31362A8D3A6_zpsm4uiuyqv by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Maximum Motorsport 6 pt with swing out doors. Once it is all fitted I will take it to be powder coated to match the rest of the MM stuff. Matte black wrinkle. 01013A25-5F43-4950-B68D-4A5861C69298_zpsucybhdwj by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Last edited:

Woody6799

Established Member
I know your pain, I am still in the middle of that lull right now lol. I have been so pissed at my car I walked away from it for the last few months, this site included. I finally got all my clutch stuff in and I am trying to finish what I have started. Stick with it man, we will both be happy in the end.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I know your pain, I am still in the middle of that lull right now lol. I have been so pissed at my car I walked away from it for the last few months, this site included. I finally got all my clutch stuff in and I am trying to finish what I have started. Stick with it man, we will both be happy in the end.

Good to know im not the only one who feels this way lol. I almost "Rage quit" the damn thing. I know once its done im going to look back and be happy I stuck with it but right now all im doing is looking back wishing I would have left it alone. Appreciate the words woody!

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Your garage walls must be pocked with knuckle marks! You have more patience than I could ever have ! Nice work BTW

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
sucks man. not sure what to say about the wheel other than let it go and move forward. shit happens.

stay the course and take breaks as needed. I've done a few long term builds (in the middle of one) and always have those thoughts. you'll regret it in the end. hit up car shows, go to the track, clean the garage and you'll get all the motivation back

mike

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I know your feeling, I have been in and out of so many foxes over the last 27 years, but I always end up coming back. I picked up a nice clean 86' a few weeks ago, I'm going to try to leave this one alone and just drive/enjoy it lol.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Your garage walls must be pocked with knuckle marks! You have more patience than I could ever have ! Nice work BTW

I normally just go out and beat the shit out of my daily lol. My walls are block so that would end badly for me hahah

sucks man. not sure what to say about the wheel other than let it go and move forward. shit happens.

stay the course and take breaks as needed. I've done a few long term builds (in the middle of one) and always have those thoughts. you'll regret it in the end. hit up car shows, go to the track, clean the garage and you'll get all the motivation back

mike

Once they are refinished it will be back to forward progress. Going to car meets etc out here in AZ just pisses me off even more. Bunch of shit talkers that I would love to shut up but cant... I have actually been doing a lot of cleaning in the garage lol.

I know your feeling, I have been in and out of so many foxes over the last 27 years, but I always end up coming back. I picked up a nice clean 86' a few weeks ago, I'm going to try to leave this one alone and just drive/enjoy it lol.

LOL, good luck keeping it stock hahah.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Well I got the color sample back from the powder mixing place.... Its off.... by quite a bit. The finish that was on there was a super fine metallic. The mixed match color was heavy flakes that were too large. It seems the original color had blue-ish metallic as well.

Back to the drawing board... Irritation levels with all the issues is at an all time high.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Well I got the color sample back from the powder mixing place.... Its off.... by quite a bit. The finish that was on there was a super fine metallic. The mixed match color was heavy flakes that were too large. It seems the original color had blue-ish metallic as well.

Back to the drawing board... Irritation levels with all the issues is at an all time high.

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
I'm with you. my car is still sitting idle at the frame shop...

let's hang in there together. after enough time and money they have to get completed right? haha

Mike

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
This is such an awesome build man. I know its a struggle but it will be well worth it in the end. Keep it up brother!

Thanks man, appreciate the kind words. I have no doubt it will be worth it in the end, just need to vent then move on lol.

I'm with you. my car is still sitting idle at the frame shop...

let's hang in there together. after enough time and money they have to get completed right? haha

Mike

hahaha, moral support circle! Im afraid to keep adding up the money I have into this. Those little stainless cap screws count for several hundred already! hahah.

So small update, I found a great match on the PC.

Here is where I started. Color is similar however the metallic flakes appear to be far larger and the old had some blue tinted metallic.

A396B704-8ACF-427E-8CEB-DEB2860BF60B_zpsfvco0fab by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Here is where im at today.... very very close, just a hair off but I wont settle for anything short of a 100% match so I am stripping all 4 and having all of them recoated. Color appears to be a hair off but the metallic is fairly spot on.

60FF92DA-CBA2-483C-BFB2-2623A695F713_zpsktwcwdlw by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Last edited:

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
^ I don't blame you man. You haven't skipped any details yet, don't start now.

Dont worry, my wallet has reminded me LOL. Its a bummer because I have been throwing around the idea of buying a beach house in Mexico or going on my vacations around the world... this is kinda keeping me here for the most part. Once its finished I am done with cars for a long while!

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Wheels have been dropped off to be dismounted, stripped, coated, cleared, and tires remounted.

While I had the time, even though hot, I decided to check a few things off the list... Although low hanging fruits, they still needed to be done. Used my new fender roller to roll my fenders.

Next I installed my rear shock tower brace. This was one of the pieces that I had coated to match the Maximum Motorsports stuff.

9A36CFCA-99FC-422F-AE77-930E0F1931FE_zpsktdhe6ux by |SK Photography|, on Flickr

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread