1985 GT build thread.

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
Love the way this car is turning out. I found an '80 mustang that I'm thinking about making into a track car. It'll be a lot of work but a lot of fun.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Love the way this car is turning out. I found an '80 mustang that I'm thinking about making into a track car. It'll be a lot of work but a lot of fun.

Thanks man, I will be happy once its finally going back together rather than tearing it apart further and further. I would be super fun to do a totally gutted fox track car. I have seen some out at the track and the engines are fairly stock with a ton of suspension work and they say they are an absolute blast.

If you do, you should do a build thread!

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Looks like you're making good progress. Keep it up, April is right around the corner :poke:

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
So I'm pretty close on pulling the trigger on a 87 Hatch. I'm reviewing your thread for inspiration and ideas but where I'm having trouble is finding spindles from a 94-95 or 96 and up. Did you get yours from a donor car or can you find these new?

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
So I'm pretty close on pulling the trigger on a 87 Hatch. I'm reviewing your thread for inspiration and ideas but where I'm having trouble is finding spindles from a 94-95 or 96 and up. Did you get yours from a donor car or can you find these new?

I bought mine from eBay. Some sellers will take the spindles, shot peen them then they are outfitted with OEM hubs and OEM dust shields.

I am 99.9% sure this is the seller I went with when buying mine. Super fast shipping and pieces were in great condition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-97-98-Fo...ash=item1c5c97d307:g:eLAAAOSwhcJWQ13o&vxp=mtr

What K member will you be running? That will decide what year spindles to use.

chao5.0

Established Member

I think LMR carries the 96 a later spindles for a few hundred

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
I think LMR carries the 96 a later spindles for a few hundred

Just going to throw this out there.... I have been sent the incorrect parts 2 times and sent used parts (probably returns) 2 times as well just in the span of this build.

After talking to LMR the last time about the Neutral switch on the trans the Manager had discussed some type of compensation to "make things right" for the hassle I have had the past 3 times dealing with them. He said we could sort it out after I got my good safety switch back in my hands. I returned the old one... waited over a week and had to call them in order to remind them to ship me out the correct part. So thats 3 weeks it took for them to replace my Neutral safety switch. Not to mention when I emailed about the "make things right" compensation I got the silent treatment.

Its really a shame because I literally had $2,000 worth of parts in my LMR shopping cart that I am going to end up buying from elsewhere. Sure I will pay a tad more but in this case I will pay more out of principle.

chao5.0

Established Member
no I agree you have to deal with their mistakes, I order a Fluidyne radiator before the holidays and I was sent one for a fox body car, well that won't work in a 96 cobra as far as mounting goes and I had to get them to send me the proper one and send me a return shipping tag so I wouldn't be charged for shipping the wrong part back. what should've been done in a few hours took me a week to get done, but I've had issues with other vendors as well not just them so I mark it down as part of the hobby. now it is a inconvience but I wasn't charged extra or anything out of the ordinary and they took care of it, just sucks I had to have my car down a week instead of a few hours.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
no I agree you have to deal with their mistakes, I order a Fluidyne radiator before the holidays and I was sent one for a fox body car, well that won't work in a 96 cobra as far as mounting goes and I had to get them to send me the proper one and send me a return shipping tag so I wouldn't be charged for shipping the wrong part back. what should've been done in a few hours took me a week to get done, but I've had issues with other vendors as well not just them so I mark it down as part of the hobby. now it is a inconvience but I wasn't charged extra or anything out of the ordinary and they took care of it, just sucks I had to have my car down a week instead of a few hours.

Yeah, I have had good luck with Summit due to the fact that they are in Nevada and I get parts next day which is nice. I have heard a lot that it happens but like you said, just sucks it takes longer. I guess its good this thing isnt waiting to be on the street with one of these parts.

This build is really coming along. It is going to be amazing when you finish.

Thanks Woody! I really enjoy going through your thread as well. Makes things worth while when I get comments from guys who have builds I have followed as well. Hopefully my build encourages people as well.

scottL

Established Member
You've been keeping busy! Or else I've been holed up in my garage far too long.
Axle's coming along nicely, 3.55's are the way to go with that motor & your Astro.
Sucks to hear about the LMR experience. Does Texas qualify as a rust belt state? Geez! Hopefully they make it right soon.

chao5.0

Established Member
Yeah, I have had good luck with Summit due to the fact that they are in Nevada and I get parts next day which is nice. I have heard a lot that it happens but like you said, just sucks it takes longer. I guess its good this thing isnt waiting to be on the street with one of these parts.

Thanks Woody! I really enjoy going through your thread as well. Makes things worth while when I get comments from guys who have builds I have followed as well. Hopefully my build encourages people as well.

well some of the things I need are restoration parts which is what LMR specializes in and I'll keep using them for that, but for my specialty parts like suspension and chassis I will go directly to MM for them, same goes for the wheels. now there are other parts like the headers, catback, and engine specific that LMR doesn't carry so I have to find the correct vendor for them, but I'm just glad we have a plethora of vendors to pick from because summit and jegs don't always have what I'm looking for when it comes to brand specific parts.

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
You've been keeping busy! Or else I've been holed up in my garage far too long.
Axle's coming along nicely, 3.55's are the way to go with that motor & your Astro.
Sucks to hear about the LMR experience. Does Texas qualify as a rust belt state? Geez! Hopefully they make it right soon.

Nice hanging out with you last weekend, even if it was for only a few hours. The ride in your buddies coupe was exactly what I needed. My bearings and seals were delayed and just got them yesterday so I can continue working on that this week.

well some of the things I need are restoration parts which is what LMR specializes in and I'll keep using them for that, but for my specialty parts like suspension and chassis I will go directly to MM for them, same goes for the wheels. now there are other parts like the headers, catback, and engine specific that LMR doesn't carry so I have to find the correct vendor for them, but I'm just glad we have a plethora of vendors to pick from because summit and jegs don't always have what I'm looking for when it comes to brand specific parts.

I hear you on that. there are small pieces I have to go through them but my high dollar stuff I will just go elsewhere. Like my next order of Corbeau seats, Corbeau 5 pt harnesses, Corbeau harness bar and other odds n ends.

Who knows, maybe after time goes by I wont be so bitter.

chao5.0

Established Member
which MM dampers did you go with on your car? I'm trying to pick between the Koni SA's, the MM sports, and the MM race 2 because I want to run between a 350-400 lbs front springs.

scottL

Established Member
Nice hanging out with you last weekend, even if it was for only a few hours. The ride in your buddies coupe was exactly what I needed. My bearings and seals were delayed and just got them yesterday so I can continue working on that this week.
I'm glad at least his was running! Good to finally have you over.. When I get my new engine management buttoned up I'll cruise over again to check on progress and give you another boost ride.

Users who are viewing this thread