1984 Ezgo golf cart gulf paint scheme

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Bought a 1984 ezgo 2 stroke golf cart last spring from a buddy. It would backfire for him occasionally so he sold it to me for $600. I adjusted the throttle cable and got it to quit back firing but the damage was already done. Got the cart out, pulled up to #1 tee box, teed off, got back in the cart and it would turn over but never fire. Pulled the seat cushion off and I could see air/fuel leaking out between the head and the block.

I ordered the full rebuild kit from online but before I rebuilt the motor I decided to repaint the golf cart and clean it up. The cart had been rattle canned poorly and the trim was covered in overspray. The cart was a pale baby blue with red wheel inserts and a red ezgo logo on the hood. I pulled all the rubber trim off the cart and scrubbed it with a rag with parts cleaner on it.

I couldn't decide what to do with a baby blue golf cart then I thought of the best looking baby blue paint scheme there is. Here are pictures of the project I just finished it up today.

All that's left is reinstall the sunshade and the rubber trim.

image_zps2sbn8mgf.jpg

image_zpsswdvwmuz.jpg

image_zpsocxg0tmv.jpg

image_zpsj69esfv7.jpg

image_zpswi64tds5.jpg

image_zpsyvatcvu2.jpg

image_zpsligy2cxl.jpg

image_zpsnmpeoxeu.jpg

image_zpsswio1qeo.jpg

image_zpstxgntsba.jpg

The colors looked really good but most Gulf paint schemes have a thin black divider stripe between the orange stripe and the blue paint scheme. I picked up a roll of 1/8" pin striping at auto zone yesterday. Here are the results.

image_zpsib9ijtab.jpg

image_zpsgdltz7ud.jpg

image_zpsaagn92wc.jpg

image_zpsrdv1xwxu.jpg

image_zpsoytryapo.jpg

image_zpskwflkmyk.jpg

This is what happens when a racer puts his car into the wall and hates racing for awhile. Race car build is started again also. #28 2.0 is in the works.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Looks good.

We have an electric Ezgo at our beach house to use in the community, I've been thinking about changing it up a bit with some new paint.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Paint looks great!

Turbo on the cylinder? Or maybe a small shot?

Funny you mention that, just yesterday I was looking at the cart and wondered what it would take to add a small turbo to the cart!!! Now a small shot might be easier lol, golf cart with a 10 horse shot!!! Haha pull up to the tee box and purge the bottle classic!!!

Looks good.

We have an electric Ezgo at our beach house to use in the community, I've been thinking about changing it up a bit with some new paint.

It takes time, just like any other project. I purposefully did the paint first. If I had rebuilt the motor first there's no way I would've painted this thing. Now to rebuild the ezgo gulf cart.

Looking good.

Thank you, it was a fun project and turned out very well for rattle canning it.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
****ing stupid hacks at my work got the idea last night after sitting around drinking beers to hide my cart from me and make me think the shop got broken into and that my cart got stolen.

Now the back story. March 3rd I woke up with my right ear hurting, I didn't pay much attention to it figured it would go away, still there Friday morning and hurting much worse. I go to the dr, diagnosed as an ear infection in my right ear. Get put on antibiotics and told it'll start to feel better by Monday. Come Monday morning it feels better but I stay home from work anyways to rest.

I have blisters on my right ear by this point and it's very red and swollen. Monday night was hell, excruciating pain from my right ear. Back to the dr. Tuesday I am very dizzy cannot walk without help, I get admitted as an outpatient and get blood work done so they will know if my kidneys can handle the double dose of iv antibiotics they're about to give me. They gave me four doses of morphine while I was there and it barely touched the pain.

My right side of my face starts to go numb and drop while I'm there getting the iv antibiotics, go home despite them wanting to admit me. Very dizzy. Next morning the entire right side of my face is immobile, looks like I had a stroke. Back to the dr Wednesday, I finally get referred to an ENT. The ENT looks at me for 10 seconds and diagnoses me with shingles. When shingles gets into the facial nerves it kills them that's why I can't smile, could barely blink my right eye and it also took 60% of the hearing in my right ear. The correct name for this is Ramsay hunt syndrome.

I was out of work for 2 1/2 weeks, this was my second full week back. Ear had been hurting some this week, but I was trying to push through to the weekend to take it easy. I'm back to driving but I'm far from being 100%.

Stress is a big factor that can cause the shingles disease to reemerge.

So for the hour that this prank went on I was a nervous stressed out wreck. There's been a lot of stuff stolen locally in the past year. We have cameras but they told me they were left off by accident when our electrician was there the other day working.
My boss told me the sheriffs office called him at 2am and that the shop door was wide open. At first the only thing I saw missing was our small enclosed trailer. Then I saw my golf cart was gone too. Sun shade was still there but the cart was gone.

I called my friend who is the under sheriff and he came right out started filing out a report. Now get this the sonsofbitches even called the sheriff to let him know they were pulling this prank on me, he was supposed to tell the undersheriff but I guess he was too busy doing shit that actually mattered. I dunno but if you have to call the cops to accomplish your practical joke I think there are lines being crossed.

I get the cart back and am unloading it when I see the nice hand print on the hood in the clear coat. I used some final inspection but the clear coat is scuffed. There was a layer of fine dust on it when these hacks pushed it into the trailer. I was livid, still am I just get this done and these few no talent hacks have to **** with me? Seriously?

So best of all by this point I called the ENT dr becuase I am very worried that my ear will start hurting over the weekend. Another trip to the dr, $70 co-pay, $15 co-pay for the new meds, 4 hours missed from work and a half a tank of gas. I figure this prank cost me about $185.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
People that prank someones vehicles should be fired.

Or just prank them back. Get a small can of aircraft paint stripper and paint "Keep Distance. Pedophile" on the tailgate of their pick up trucks. They do all drive pick up trucks, don't they?

Hope your medical problems resolve.

sonicdan

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your health and poor timing of a prank...

Cart looks good!

I am a member of a golf cart forum, buggiesgonewild.com

You should check it out. Lots of custom carts on there with motor swaps!

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I thought about it but no pranks back on this.

I thought about not showering for a week and proceed to teabag all of the cans of beer in the fridge and then when they're all sitting around drinking beer, I'd send them a picture of my balls on their cans of beer.

My silence and lack of a response will show them they crossed a line.

Getting better daily, even if it's a very small improvement. Nasty stuff this was.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
This whole thing started out because the engine quit. I pulled the engine this past Sunday. Got it on the bench and have it torn down to what amounts to the short block.

I tried to remove the clutch today and it kicked my ass all over the shop. I bought a 3/4" fine thread bolt to use as a pusher tool to push the clutch off the crankshaft. The bolt wasn't long enough so I grabbed a bolt off the workbench where I was tearing the motor down and tried to use it as a spacer to push the clutch off with. Little did I know but it was a 0 grade bolt. I screwed the 3/4 fine thread bolt into the clutch housing and nothing happened. Backed the puller bolt out and there I saw the smaller bolt bent into an L shape down inside the clutch housing.

It wasn't going to come out and it was down inside about 2" so there was no reaching it with needle noses pliers. I tried to pry around on it but didn't want to damage the 3/4" threads in the clutch housing. So I went to what I knew would work. Grabbed a newspaper and soaked it under the faucet. Walked over to the engine and started shredding the wet newspaper then stuffing it into the hole where the bent bolt was. After filling it up I wrapped the 3/4" bolt in Teflon tape and screwed it in. Remove and repeat stuffing in more wet newspaper and rewrapping the bolt each time. Finally after about 15 times of doing this the clutch popped off the crank shaft snout and I was able to drive the bent bolt down and on out easily.

No new pics but I painted the engine flywheel cover sky blue and mandarin to match the rest of the cart.

I hope to have it running in the next week or two.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The prank was WAY out of line and totally unacceptable. People get/should get fired for pulling pranks like this in a shop. That said, you did a fantastic job with the paint. Took the simple cart from ordinary to awesome! Well done! :beer: :thumbsup:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ya it was pretty shitty. Never exacted any payback, not yet at least.

Thank you for the kind words about my old golf cart!

To anyone reading this that's going to undertake rebuilding an Ezgo 2pg engine be sure to put some loctite bearing retainer on the crank seals. My engine blew the brand new fan side crank seal with about 5 minutes on the thing! Staking the seal at 12, 4 and 7 o'clock is also recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread