1979 F100 aftermarket gauge install ??s

crazy4ink

Extreme Ratchet Abuser
Established Member
Ok, picked up another Ford pickup to use for general running around and towing so as not to beat up my L. Had a pretty severe electrical problem that I have gotten resolved. To avoid not knowing what my charging system is doing, since the stock dash only has a 'alt' light and no gauge, I decided I wanted to install an aftermarket gauge.

First question; do I want a voltmeter or an ammeter?

Second question; how do I go about wiring it up? Which wire goes where?

Wiring has never been my strong point, and this shows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

FORDINATOR

boost is your friend
Established Member
the the old girls its an easy task, if meory serves you can just tape into a wire coming from the voltage regulator on the pass side fender well. been a while since i wired one though. everything you need comes with the kits, as well as great directions. i highly recomend autometer, if your on a budget they have the auto gauge line that is cheaper. i ran this very one in my bronco before i sold it.
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugedetail.aspx?gid=3346&sid=1

monkeyspunk79

A Van Down by the River.
Established Member
post up some pics of the ol' F100 when you get a chance. I used to have a 78 F150 and I miss it like crazy.

Good luck with the install, my truck had the expanded gague cluster and I can't recall how that was wired up from the factory.

Here is some info from gmcmotorhome.com

ammeter35gx.jpg

THE RIGHT WAY to hook up an ammeter: You can see from the three drawing that for the correct hook up the battery feed line from the battery and starter solenoid must be the only wire connected to the (+) terminal of the ammeter.

Users who are viewing this thread