1969 Corvette Stingray ZL-1 convertible, the only one of its kind, being auctioned in January!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My cousin in CA owned a 1968 Corvette (bought new) 427 L71 with triple carbs making 435 hp. I don't think his had the alloy heads even though it was intended for mostly racing. I still remember riding in it. What a beast. And what an incredibly mesmerizing ride. This 1969 ZL-1 being auctioned off is pure beauty. It will be interesting to see if bidding exceeds $3 Mil.

One-of-a-kind Chevrolet Corvette ZL-1 convertible surfaces at auction and could be worth over $3 million. It's the only one of its kind.​

By Gary Gastelu | Fox News

The only 1969 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray ZL-1 convertible ever built is set to be auctioned for the first time in January. The Monaco Orange car is one of just two that were ordered with the high performance ZL-1 option that year, the other being a coupe. The ZL-1 package was built around a version of the legendary L-88 427 cubic-inch V8 engine that was developed for Can-Am racing.

The monster motor was officially rated at 430 hp, but was actually far more powerful.

This is the only 1969 Corvette Stingray ZL-1 convertible.

This is the only 1969 Corvette Stingray ZL-1 convertible. (RM Sotheby's)

Tests indicated that its output was closer to the 560-580 hp range.
The 427 cubic-inch V8 produces roughly 560 hp.

The ZL-1 also received upgraded brakes and suspension and a positraction rear axle, but sacrificed the radio, air conditioning and heater at the altar of speed. Buyers did not get a discount for the missing equipment, however, as the cost of the option essentially doubled the Corvette's $4,781 base price, explaining its rarity.

The ZL-1 package doubled the price of a Corvette.

The car was purchased new and underwent a few modifications for drag racing, but sold to its current owner in 2007, who had it restored to its original condition in 2014.

The only major component that's not from the factory is the aluminum short block assembly, which had to be replaced under warranty during its first year on the road after the engine blew.

This car has only had two owners since new.

The car is scheduled to cross the auction block at RM Sotheby's Arizona auction on Jan. 26 and has a pre-sale estimate of $2.6 million to $3 million. A sale at the high end would make it the third most expensive Corvette ever sold, behind the $3.85 million and $3,424,000 paid for a 1967 L88 convertible and coupe, but it is possible this unique car could end up blowing them both away.

Gary Gastelu is Fox News Digital's automotive editor.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Vehicles like this always are so interesting to me.

Forget about resale value. What's this thing actually worth to someone? I wouldn't want it for more than $75,000.

Recon

Established Member
The top dog of the Vette’s back then. I wonder if it’ll be more than 3 million? Probably.
Here’s the coupe variant:
It would be awesome if they bought this one. They’d have both ZL1’s made.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Dad had a 69 427/435 Triple carb T-Top. That bitch had some balls.
They drank fuel like a panting dog, too. LOL. When I rode in my cousin's '68 427-3, I literally watched the fuel gauge needle move as we cruised with moderate throttle. Worth every drop of high octane fuel.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Vehicles like this always are so interesting to me.

Forget about resale value. What's this thing actually worth to someone? I wouldn't want it for more than $75,000.

I've always wondered that when all the people who grew up during the years of these cars eventual all die, what will happen to the value of these cars?

Like you, I was born long after this era ended. We largely have no emotional or childhood "dream car" connection to these cars.

The same can be said for the cars of our generation. Will anyone give a rip about them in 50+ yrs?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've always wondered that when all the people who grew up during the years of these cars eventual all die, what will happen to the value of these cars?

Like you, I was born long after this era ended. We largely have no emotional or childhood "dream car" connection to these cars.

The same can be said for the cars of our generation. Will anyone give a rip about them in 50+ yrs?

Even our generation, I don't really care. I don't have an emotional tie to any car lol

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Not even your Viper?

Nope. With that, it's all about how fast it is. If someone would offer me $XXX,XXX for it, and that would allow me to move into something faster...I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've spent $25k on it this offseason, and worked three different trades on it, just none of them worked out.

My last Viper wasn't for sale until a guy offered me enough that would basically move me straight into my current one without anything out of pocket.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Nope. With that, it's all about how fast it is. If someone would offer me $XXX,XXX for it, and that would allow me to move into something faster...I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've spent $25k on it this offseason, and worked three different trades on it, just none of them worked out.

My last Viper wasn't for sale until a guy offered me enough that would basically move me straight into my current one without anything out of pocket.
giphy.gif

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
For sure. It'd be harder to get me to move out of my house... but if I could either make money and move into another that I view as a lateral move, or upwards move...I'd do it.
Exactly. I have a hard time parting with some things but If you wanna pay me enough.. Ill even fill up the gas tank and wash it for ya.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My dad also had a blue 68 convertible 427/435 when he was younger and then my old boss bought an almost an identical 69 to my dad's and I got to drive that one. Can confirm that they can definitely move!

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Not a true ZL-1 if it's an auto but you could get the L-88 with the auto for 1969 and last year for that motor in a Vette. All the ZL-1's was M-22 4 speeds, period as that was the only transmission option for that engine Zora was able to get 24 ZL-1's for the Corvette line and about 9 ended up in Vettes as either customer cars (2 coupes) and test mules, the last ZL-1 crate engine was sold in 1978 as an offshore boat racing marine engine out of GM's performance brand stock. There is a whole lot of red flags on this if it has an auto and a ZL-1

blk02edge

Established Member

I grew up looong after that generation and if I was worth enough I'd be happy to shell out for interesting rare classics.

Look at art made hundreds of years ago, just gets more valuable.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
It does say it's not the original engine, that kinda takes the starch out imo. Maybe transmission swapped at that time. If used for drag racing that would have been the logical choice. But takes away from the #s matching original parts one of one diamond $3M price.

Users who are viewing this thread