0-1965-vs-2015-Mustang-Display-Featured.jpg

Half & Half
A new museum display celebrates 50 years of Mustang innovation
By Steve Turner
Photos courtesy of Ford Motor Company

It’s hard to imagine, but many of the original Mustang features were not patented until well after the car was in production. These days the modern Mustang is a rolling piece of intellectual property and that sort of innovation is what’s being celebrated at the National Inventors Hall of Fame Museum by a unique fusion of a classic 1965 Mustang and a modern 2015 Mustang.

This unique, conjoined Mustang—built by the clever craftsmen at Classic Design Concepts—is now on permanent display as part of the Intellectual Property Power Exhibit within the National Inventors Hall of Fame museum. This museum is located on the United States Patent and Trademark Office campus in Alexandria, Virginia.

“Everything moved so fast in the design and run-up to production of the original Mustang that there were no styling patents issued back then,” Chris Danowski, Ford director of technology commercialization and intellectual property licensing, said.

By 1965 the Mustang used more than 100 of Ford’s functional patents, including self-cancelling turn signals. These days, the Mustang is a rolling library of protected ideas, packed with unique features like a glove-box airbag, a line lock and more. Many of these features are in the display and functional, while still more examples of patents and intellectual property will be give an audio/visual treatment via monitors near the display.

“Now look at the current car; 2015 Mustang Convertible alone was granted 36 styling patents, which ensure the unique look stays with the car,” Chris added. “It also has many unique functional patents for things like the airbag structures, 911 Assist and so many other technologies baked right in.”

Today the National Inventors Hall of Fame will unveil the display and highlight the work of Ford founder Henry Ford. You can learn more about the museum right here.

1-1965-vs-2015-Mustang-Display.jpg

Classic Design Concepts (notice the tag) built this unique display for Ford and the National Inventors Hall of Fame Museum, which fuses 60 percent of a left-hand-drive, reproduction 1965 Mustang with 60 percent of a right-hand-drive 2015 Mustang.

2-1965-vs-2015-Mustang-Display.jpg

If you visit the museum, you’ll be able to sit on either side of the 60/60 display and compare the modest features of the classic Mustang with the technical tour de force that is the 2015 Mustang.

After checking out the Half and Half Pictures of the 2015 Mustang and the 1965 Mustang together, I got to thinking! I live in California and we have very Strick Smog Laws and Engine Swapping Laws!

I use to own a 66 Mustang Coupe while in High School and I've been thinking about getting another one to do a Coyote engine (or a Shelby engine) swap along with a 6R80 6sp Auto Trans swap!

But now I am thinking of since the 2015 & 1966 Mustangs are similar in measurements I could get a 66 Mustang Coupe which weight about 2500 lb.s +/- and get a used running 2015+ Mustang GT or a wrecked one to use as a Donor Car!

Then I would transfer Engine, Trans, Complete Interior including the Dash and Front and Rear IRS Suspension! I would also be 50 State Street Legal and my Mustang would be Registered as a 66 Mustang!

So what do you Guys and Gals think of my Idea?...Thanks and God Bless!

BTW!...Check out this 71 Mustang Built by Chip Foose to give you an Idea what I am thinking about:

Last edited:
Check out the January Mustang Monthly. There are two 69 Fastbacks that have a old 69 Mustang grafted to the 2014 GT 500 floor pan and a 69 to a 2013 floor pan.Roger

Check out the January Mustang Monthly. There are two 69 Fastbacks that have a old 69 Mustang grafted to the 2014 GT 500 floor pan and a 69 to a 2013 floor pan.Roger

Yes!..."gta roger"...I am a subscriber to "Mustang Monthly" and I have that issue! Here is a link to the "Mustang360" Article: http://www.mustangandfords.com/feat...tang-body-on-a-2014-gt500-chassis-yes-please/

Also around about 2006 there was another Build called "Project SN65" which was a Yellow 65 Mustang Fastback Body on a 03 Cobra Drivetrain. It was Built by the "Julian Brothers" and here is another link to a "Mustang360" Article about it: http://www.mustangandfords.com/featured-vehicles/mufp-0609-1965-ford-mustang-fastback-sn65/

If I was to go with using the 2013/14 Shelby GT500 Drivetrain, I would like to Build a Hardtop/Coupe Body version of a 69/70 Shelby GT500 and/or Build a 65/66 Mustang Coupe Body using a 2015/18 Shelby GT350 Drivetrain! What do you think?...God Bless!

Many have done this already. Removal of shock towers and aftermarket front suspension ( coilover setup ) will be needed, as well as a rack and pinion steering setup. Very cool but money is better spent with a built pushrod Windsor motor and built T-5 trans. You'll need a 9" rear to handle the power also.

Many have done this already. Removal of shock towers and aftermarket front suspension ( coilover setup ) will be needed, as well as a rack and pinion steering setup. Very cool but money is better spent with a built pushrod Windsor motor and built T-5 trans. You'll need a 9" rear to handle the power also.

Yes!..."PaxtonShelby", I too have seen a lot of 5.0L Coyote engine swaps in Classic Mustangs! But I want to take it to the 21st Century Level!...which is to use the Complete Modern Chassis/Drivetrain with an IRS swap, Complete interior, and Dash of a 2013/14 Shelby GT500 or a 2015-18 Shelby GT350. Then use a 69/70 Mustang Coupe Body to fixed it up into a Coupe Version of a Shelby GT500 or a 65/66 Mustang Coupe Body fixed up into a Shelby GT350 Coupe!

Engine wise I am looking at a 5.0L Coyote with Twin Turbo's, a Shelby 5.4L/5.8L with Twin Turbo's or the NRE Built Ford 427ci. with Twin Turbo's!

Transmission wise, I am going with a PBH Built 6R80 6sp Auto Trans with Paddle Shift or Ford's New 10sp Auto Trans with Paddle Shift!

So what do you think now?...Thanks and God Bless!

Yes!..."PaxtonShelby", I too have seen a lot of 5.0L Coyote engine swaps in Classic Mustangs! But I want to take it to the 21st Century Level!...which is to use the Complete Modern Chassis/Drivetrain with an IRS swap, Complete interior, and Dash of a 2013/14 Shelby GT500 or a 2015-18 Shelby GT350. Then use a 69/70 Mustang Coupe Body to fixed it up into a Coupe Version of a Shelby GT500 or a 65/66 Mustang Coupe Body fixed up into a Shelby GT350 Coupe!

Engine wise I am looking at a 5.0L Coyote with Twin Turbo's, a Shelby 5.4L/5.8L with Twin Turbo's or the NRE Built Ford 427ci. with Twin Turbo's!

Transmission wise, I am going with a PBH Built 6R80 6sp Auto Trans with Paddle Shift or Ford's New 10sp Auto Trans with Paddle Shift!

I love the 65 .I wish I had the money for one of those.The best of both worlds.

Hey don't get me wrong. I like your idea. While I like these over the top builds as much as anybody, I am an accountant and I always look at the bang for the buck. Yes - I'm cheap. :) A build like the one you're talking is easily $200-$300k - more with the super-custom stuff. My point is you can build a vintage car for $50-$60k that will run, handle and stop with one of these high-end builds.

Whatever you do, start with a solid car. You'll save money and time in the long run.

Good luck!

Hey don't get me wrong. I like your idea. While I like these over the top builds as much as anybody, I am an accountant and I always look at the bang for the buck. Yes - I'm cheap. :) A build like the one you're talking is easily $200-$300k - more with the super-custom stuff. My point is you can build a vintage car for $50-$60k that will run, handle and stop with one of these high-end builds.

Whatever you do, start with a solid car. You'll save money and time in the long run.

Good luck!

I understand the "MONEY" Part! :) ...but I've Done my Homework and it won't cost me know were near "$200-$300k" mark! I have a friend by the name Tim Porter, he is the former owner of a Company called "Ultimate Bad Boy" Mustangs aka "UBB"! He's been Building 1000HP Shelby GT500 Mustangs for about 12 years now!

He has a New Company now called "Muscle Car Automotive": https://www.musclecarautomotive.com/1967-fastback and he has offered me to Build a 69 Shelby GT500 (Tribute Car) with a 7.0 ( 429ci.) "Old School" engine and an Auto Trans, for about $130,000.00 +/- using a Brand New Dynacorn 69 Fastback Body!

Also, He offered me to Build me an 2018 RS 1000 (WideBody) Mustang with Twin Turbo's putting 1000HP using the 5.2L Shelby GT350 VooDoo Engine! With the New Optional 10sp Auto Trans...0 to 60 times are about 3.0 sec.s, Top Speed about 245 MPH @ 8000 RPM (https://www.musclecarautomotive.com/widebody) This is the 2017 specs.

All this for $135,000.00 and Tim says it is 50 State Street Legal! Since I live in California, that' a Good Thing! I am considering it! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread