1965 Mustang

2000gator

Established Member
Hey guys i found a cheap mustang that needs a little work it has been sitting for 10 years. What are somethings i should be looking for or can do to turn the engine over to make sure it hasn't frozen up. 1965 mustang i'm checking the car out tomorrow and would like help i'm not as familiar with older stangs.

KaNolton

Rio Red Slowbra...yezzur
Established Member
Check the floors and the cowl area in these cars. Take a water bottle and pour it down the cowl vents on the hood and check inside the car right near the kick panels. If you feel the water. WALK AWAY. Just imagine 1000s of rivets and hours of time. Aside from that, check the frame rails out back as they also have a tendency to rot. Then just the usual. Floor pans, qtrs. The usual.

As far as the engine goes. If it's been 10 years I don't think that motor is turning over. I guess the only way is to take a battery just in case but I think the most you're going to be able to do is bring various sockets, i think its 15/16ths and a hefty pull bar and see if you can just get the motor to turn over manually.

Good luck!

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Like stated above, check the cowl. I believe its around 150 some odd spot welds. And there isn't a reproduction cowl panel yet. Labor intensive job to say the least. Take a towel. Its rude to pour water into someones floor board LOL.

Quarters are the next spot followed by the pans.

If its the original 3 speed it will be a 2.77 with a non sychro first gear. Takes awhile to get used to stopping before putting it into first.

That little 200 is damn near bullet proof. The best website for them is fordsix.com. BTW, if you need some parts. I have a complete one sitting in the garage. I'd let the parts go for next to nothing since I swapped mine over for a 302.

The car will have a 7.25 rear end. Four lug all around.

If you're considering it to swap over to a V8, you may want to search different avenues. Its not a cheap swap, the little things add up. But they're great cars regardless. I've had two of 'em.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
Pretty much what everyone has said and do some research if your planning a V8 swap. Its not cheap. Car looks pretty solid though from what I can tell.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Pretty much what everyone has said and do some research if your planning a V8 swap. Its not cheap. Car looks pretty solid though from what I can tell.

negatory.......a V8 swap is relatively cheap to do. :beer: Then again, I guess that's individual perception.

Take a battery, gas can, and magnet. Use the magnet to check the outside panels for bondo/rust.

sixt5

Established Member
one of the best years! but im biased.

mentioned before but..

lay down under the steering wheel and look up with a flashlight, mines got some surface rust but nothin bad. pour some water in the cowl if it leaks, it will be in the front floor board by the kicks.

rear qtrs are bad as with rear frame rail.

Users who are viewing this thread