18x10's All the Way Around

CCS86

Established Member
Hey guys, I just swapped over from the 18x8" Ford Racing wheels I was running with the stock Pirellis, to 18x10" SVE Drifts with Eagle F1 Supercar 285/40-18's. This setup definitely pushes the boundary of the fender well lips and makes for a really aggressive stance.

The stock silver 5-spoke 18x8's weigh 26.5 lbs and these SVE's weigh 24.2 lbs. There is definitely an increase in road noise with these tires, but it's well worth the trade in sidewall stiffness and steering response. I got a smoking deal on the rubber because they are old stock ('08 date code), so they may not have the grip they once had, but so far I'm pretty happy. Played in the wet today and they stuck really well.

Big thanks to Jarrod at Late Model Resto' for cutting me a great deal on the wheels and shipping them quickly.

I had been told that they would fit up front with no problems, but I gave everything a careful look anyway. There is a bolt (stud) protruding from the strut on both sides which ends VERY close to the tire sidewall. We're talking like 1/8". I wasn't comfortable with this in case sidewall flex or weird dynamics caused contact. Rubbing a strut body is one thing, but a nice pointy stud is something else. After cutting some of the square nose off of the stud, I would estimate the clearance at about 5/8".

Also, the factory lug nuts will not work with the SVE's. It wouldn't be too hard to overlook this, which could lead to a cracked wheel or lug coming loose. You'll need a set of narrower lug nuts.

Side note: Ford Racing matte black wheels for sale, nearly flawless condition, ~3100mi with Pirelli P-Zero Neros

Before:
IMG_0145_HDR1000copy.jpg

After:
IMG_66351300.jpg

IMG_66381300.jpg

IMG_66411300.jpg

Last edited:

JaysonMFK

5.0 Fanboy
Established Member
Your car looks great!

Do you track it? My buddy took his BOSS to Eagles Canyon Raceway quite a bit. Ever been there?

Also, what suspension setup are you running and do you have the Brembo package?

One last thing, what are you selling the old set of wheels for?

Congrats on the beautiful car and sorry for all the questions!

Last edited:

CCS86

Established Member
Updated pics look great. Sorry to be picky but do you have any dead on side shots?
Awesome pictures, and awesome camera! We need a side profile.

Thanks guys, I'll get a side profile up soon.

Your car looks great!

Do you track it? My buddy took his BOSS to Eagles Canyon Raceway quite a bit. Ever been there?

Also, what suspension setup are you running and do you have the Brembo package?

One last thing, what are you selling the old set of wheels for?

Congrats on the beautiful car and sorry for all the questions!

Yeah, I do private instruction for motorcycles on the road course at Harris Hill Road. I'm out there a fair amount on my race bike, so I get access to bring the car out too. I am starting to instruct for car events now too with Longhorn Racing Academy.

Right now I'm running a Spohn panhard bar and UCA. I will be putting on some Koni yellows soon, but am holding off on springs for the moment. I already drag the CS front clip on occasion. I don't have the Brembo package, but will be upgrading the brakes. The stockers suck around a road course. I'm leaning towards the Brembo retrofit.

I'd like to get $950 for the set. They have about 3100mi on them, in awesome shape.

Is this the bolt that you had to cut down? The sway bar end link bolt?

http://blog.latemodelrestoration.com/wp-content/uploads/DSC02512.jpg

That's the one, sorry I wasn't specific about it. I left a little bit of the square profile end on it.

Wow! Those are sexy as hell. Great combo and mods you have there.....

Thanks! I'm still swooning over how it looks and gawking at my car all the time. :-D

Got any pics without the overdone effects?

Hahaha, I'm sure you can find some other pics that you like better. :thumbsup:

After looking again, is that a small trailer hitch in back?

Oh yeah, she tows like a boss! I got 22 mpg running down the highway at 70-80 and you barely notice the trailer.

284497_3704402251019_884276293_n.jpg

What kind of effect is that? I like it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, it's not just one effect. I do most of the work in Adobe Camera Raw which lets you get all the colors and levels balanced out, give the photo some range. Pics of a white car look pretty terrible right off the camera. It will try to expose the body, and leave the wheels clipped to black so you can barely see them. These in particular might be a bit more dramatic than real life, but I think they are closer than untouched are.

Last edited:

boardkat

n00b
Established Member
BIG thumbs up!! I just picked up a set of these last week too, and plan to run a similar tire size setup. Thanks for the tip on the sway bar bolt, I'll definitely check the clearance too. Glad I'm not the only one towing with a 'stang too :D

chuckstang

Established Member
what size tires are you now running front and rear?

Roush uses an 18x10 all around so I see no issues there. They use a 275 tire all around

CCS86

Established Member
While I was in there, I took a flap disk on the grinder to the caliper too. The ugly casting texture and mold lines bothered me, so I smoothed them off. I'll grab a pic of that too.

Users who are viewing this thread