$179 to copy a key?

98Bird

Established Member
1997 Cobra with a chipped key. To clone it, a locksmith quoted me $179. Don't even want to know what the Dealer wants.

I'm wondering why so much? It's not programming anything since I already have a working key. A key guy in the middle of a mall wanted $60, like 10 years ago and I didn't do it, damn.

Home Depot can't do it. Ace Hardware only starts from 1999 Mustangs in their book. Any ideas?

Only have 1 cloned key when I bought the car used, so I can't program a 3rd blank from ebay/amazon the easy way. It's an "Ilco" brand, so I'm thinking clone copy w/chip.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
$179 will be about it. In order to start the car the chip has to be programmed.

hotcobra03

Established Member
buy a key elsewhere

our local Walmart does it

I haven't had one done but asked last time in

I had just a basic key cut for getting into car
I only have 1 key

the fob you can program yourself

someone asked if you had 2 keys now?

manual says we can reprogram up to 4 keys but you need 2 to start with to do it yourself

1320goat

Established Member
I was recently in a bind and needed an extra key for my F350. If you have a store nearby called "Batteries Plus" they sell and program keys. I believe the key was $120 and $40 to program it to my truck since I only had one other key. I was in and out within 15 minutes without an appointment

98Bird

Established Member
I was recently in a bind and needed an extra key for my F350. If you have a store nearby called "Batteries Plus" they sell and program keys. I believe the key was $120 and $40 to program it to my truck since I only had one other key. I was in and out within 15 minutes without an appointment

Thanks, I'm trying to not pay that much. Those blank keys with chips are like 2 for $25 on Amazon and probably the same thing.

I know that if you lose all keys, then the programming is more tedious as they need to plug into the car's obdii port. But cloning a key w/chip, I think they just cut it normally then just copy the chip w/o much interaction from the operator.

DrZed

Established Member
... so I saw a solution to this, but it depends on your comfort level. I have a 98GT you need two programmed keys to make the third and fourth cheaply without a dealer reprogram.

If you copy your one Ford key and cut another cheap key with NO chip in it, you can hide your one remaining chipped key under the dash right beside the ignition switch. This means the security system will always sense this one key zip tied under the dash when you use your non-chipped cheap key. Then you can make as many as you wish, provided your original key stays zipped tied under the dash. Nobody will ever know or see it.

It is a creative solution I thought!

1320goat

Established Member
Thanks, I'm trying to not pay that much. Those blank keys with chips are like 2 for $25 on Amazon and probably the same thing.

I know that if you lose all keys, then the programming is more tedious as they need to plug into the car's obdii port. But cloning a key w/chip, I think they just cut it normally then just copy the chip w/o much interaction from the operator.
That was the cost of the that they had in stock. They also programmed my wife's Explorer key that was purchased from Amazon. If you take your own key there, they will cut and program it. I thought the $40 for programming was reasonable. Especially since I only had 1 main key and heard that it was a dealership visit if you only had 1 key. Hope you figure something out.

hotcobra03

Established Member
... so I saw a solution to this, but it depends on your comfort level. I have a 98GT you need two programmed keys to make the third and fourth cheaply without a dealer reprogram.

If you copy your one Ford key and cut another cheap key with NO chip in it, you can hide your one remaining chipped key under the dash right beside the ignition switch. This means the security system will always sense this one key zip tied under the dash when you use your non-chipped cheap key. Then you can make as many as you wish, provided your original key stays zipped tied under the dash. Nobody will ever know or see it.

I have to try this

I have a basic key

it's been awhile but I believe it will power car in on position
if I try to start it doesn't do anything and sets a code

I wonder if starter was jumped car would start and run

98Bird

Established Member

Yeah thanks. I recently saw that on Youtube. I'm going to try it out by just taping it there.

I wonder if this will make the factory alarm inoperable though...because isn't putting the key in and turning ignition is what keeps the alarm from going off when the door is opened? (I never had a key FOB until recently neither).

DrZed

Established Member
I really don't know, but I am pretty sure there is no horn alarm in that sense (other than the panic button). Meaning if the window was down and somebody reached in and unlocked the car and opened the door there would be no honking. So the PATS system is more of an ignition key thing only and not an alarm. That is my understanding.

wowsers

Established Member
I just had a key made over the summer and I paid around 40 for a locksmith to cut/program it. I bought the blank on eBay for 12 bucks or something.

I got quoted 200 at a dealer, so maybe just call around to different locksmiths in your area.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread