'16 Shelby GT350 Tech Package at Watkins Glen International

Crashspeeder

Established Member
I took my Technology Package GT350 to Watkins Glen. The transmission overheated, but I was able to maximize my track time by short shifting and staying above third. I had a blast. The brakes were amazing and never faded. I'm definitely going to need to install transmission cooling before my next track day. I hope you guys enjoy the video.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was at Heartland Park yesterday and there was a 2016 Tech car there. He just installed the cooler last week, and it ran flawlessly all day.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
NICE OP.

When you say overheated, could you elaborate on that please.

Crashspeeder

Established Member
I was at Heartland Park yesterday and there was a 2016 Tech car there. He just installed the cooler last week, and it ran flawlessly all day.

That's great news! I'm glad to hear that will address the problem for good.

NICE OP.

When you say overheated, could you elaborate on that please.
The car goes into limp mode, limiting you to 5000RPM. At 5000 you don't feel an abrupt stop like it cuts fuel flow, but you know it's not allowing you to accelerate, though. If temps continue to rise you'll see a message in the instrument cluster that says the engine is overheating and power has been reduced to prevent damage. It's an odd message, since the oil temp was fine. You can continue to accelerate if you upshift, but you'll definitely be at a disadvantage.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
How long into the session when you started experiencing the issue?

Crashspeeder

Established Member
Have you ever overheated in the street?

Never, but I've also never sustained high RPM for that long.

He didn't install the transmission either, just the coolers.
The transmission is only required because it has the internal pump. If you install the radiator, hoses, and an external pump (which is what I had planned) we should be good. By the sound of it, this guy did just this and it proved out. Thanks.

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Overall, do you regret not going with a Track pack car over an Electronics pack car?

Are you satisfied with your **electronics** pack?

Sorry for the 100 questions but you seem like a reliable source of objective information.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Overall, do you regret not going with a Track pack car over an Electronics pack car?

Are you satisfied with your track pack?

Sorry for the 100 questions but you seem like a reliable source of objective information.

Your questions don't make sense. They contradict yourself.

Crashspeeder

Established Member

Are you satisfied with your track pack?

No worries. Happy to answer questions. Let me give you a bit of insight into my purchase process. When I was looking at the GT350s I actually wanted an R, but they weren't available and were going for exorbitant amounts of money. I decided I could benefit from a back seat anyway and went with a GT350. If you remember, the GT350R had an optional Electronics Package that added the nav and radio back in. That's how I would've gotten the GT350 if I could have, but the Track Package and Technology Package were mutually exclusive for 2015 and 2016.

Do I regret getting the Technology Package? Not in the least. This car is a daily driver first and foremost. I love the car and it performed beyond my expectations on the track. That said, I would've gotten the Technology Package and the Track Package had it been possible. I'm disappointed at the multiple bad decisions Ford made, first with making cooling and nav mutually exclusive, and then with making the cooling standard but not taking care of current owners. Once I install some transmission cooling I'll be all set and I'm sure I'll have many fun track days.

CO Mack

Established Member
No worries. Happy to answer questions. Let me give you a bit of insight into my purchase process. When I was looking at the GT350s I actually wanted an R, but they weren't available and were going for exorbitant amounts of money. I decided I could benefit from a back seat anyway and went with a GT350. If you remember, the GT350R had an optional Electronics Package that added the nav and radio back in. That's how I would've gotten the GT350 if I could have, but the Track Package and Technology Package were mutually exclusive for 2015 and 2016.

Do I regret getting the Technology Package? Not in the least. This car is a daily driver first and foremost. I love the car and it performed beyond my expectations on the track. That said, I would've gotten the Technology Package and the Track Package had it been possible. I'm disappointed at the multiple bad decisions Ford made, first with making cooling and nav mutually exclusive, and then with making the cooling standard but not taking care of current owners. Once I install some transmission cooling I'll be all set and I'm sure I'll have many fun track days.

Exactly my logic for the choice, and feelings on the choice too. (other than it's not my daily but it's first and foremost a street car, not a race car)

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

Got you. Thanks for the insight.

Your questions don't make sense. They contradict yourself.

Oh snap.

Totally jacked that up.

Meant to state "are you satisfied with you Electronics pack car?"

Took me a minute. Good catch.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
OP,

I asked because there was some reports of people supposedly getting their Electronics pack cars to over heat in the street, which seemed like a bit of a stretch to me.

Crashspeeder

Established Member
I believe it's entirely possible to overheat this car if you're canyon carving. I, however, don't live terribly close to good mountain roads where that would happen so it hasn't happened to me.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
OP,

I asked because there was some reports of people supposedly getting their Electronics pack cars to over heat in the street, which seemed like a bit of a stretch to me.
I've not heard one owner say theirs overheated in the street. Just a bunch of people want free coolers say it's possible to overheat in the street.

Nick asked one complainer like 10 times if his ever overheated in the street. The owner would never answer. Imagine that....

Crashspeeder

Established Member
Why is being on track and keeping the revs above 6k any different from canyon carving and keeping the revs above 6k turn after turn? Your view is incredibly cynical. I've experienced this firsthand on the track in cold weather. It is, in my opinion, certainly possible that this could happen on a mountain road that keeps the driver in second gear at high RPM for ~20 minutes, especially if the weather is anywhere above freezing.

As for your anecdotal evidence, it's inconsequential. A sample size of one is statistically insignificant. Anecdotal evidence is no evidence at all. Regardless of that one user's answer, I have video after video of my car cutting power after sustained high RPMs. Do you honestly believe the car knows the difference between a track and a mountain road and simply won't overheat on a mountain road? Certainly not.

Users who are viewing this thread