16 Explorer Sport Mods?

Obsol3te

Orange Golfball
Established Member
Hello guys, just picked up a 16 Explorer Sport for the wife as the mommy missile.
Curious if there's any good forums/vendors sites to look through possible upgrades for the truck.
She said she'd eventually like an exhaust, so we'd be interested in something that'll make her truck sound a bit better but keep the drone to a minimum.
20160311_104947.jpg20160311_104953.jpg

02_Lightning

Established Member
I would honestly shy away from any ecoboost mods. These engines don't have a good track record of longterm durability, so keeping your warranty without any question is valuable. I sold off my eco F150 after it developed major problems. I have an ecoboost SHO that has the same f150 eco problems, so will get that unloaded too. Very very disappointed that ford released this to the public- complete failure to me.

TVLA147

Established Member
Some people love them, some people haven't had the best experiences. Obviously, you'll hear about all of the people that have had issues, but most owners that have limited troubles will not be as vocal. You might start by checking out livernois motorsports and then go from there.

Obsol3te

Orange Golfball
Established Member
What kind of issues were you having? And I'm not looking to void the warranty. Probably just a cat back for now

Obsol3te

Orange Golfball
Established Member
Well, the wife's not getting a coyote motor in the exploder anytime soon. She just wanted her new truck to sound a little better if at all possible

02_Lightning

Established Member
I had an F150 eco, and I have an eco SHO. Both have had misfire issues since the engine eats spark plugs. You will be lucky to get 30k out of them. The eco in the f150 application is far more problematic, but the transverse application gets the intercooler in a spot where it is just enough less efficient, thus moisture build up is a minor issue. However, engine definitely needs a catch can or else your intercooler will hold a ton of oil.... unless you drill a weep hole. I had one in the f150, and also did one in the SHO.

woomaster

Established Member
Just traded in my 2011 f150 Eco with 55k on the odo. All with stage 3 and MPT custom 93 octane tunes. No issues at all. Did put cooler plugs in it before loading up the tunes. Just got a 16 sport as well. Sorry, I love this motor.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Just traded in my 2011 f150 Eco with 55k on the odo. All with stage 3 and MPT custom 93 octane tunes. No issues at all. Did put cooler plugs in it before loading up the tunes. Just got a 16 sport as well. Sorry, I love this motor.

I'm happy to hear it. I'm on the fence between a Jeep or an Exploder....

MiDiablo

Custom Auto Upholsterty
Established Member
Here's a couple resources that I've been using for our 2016 Explorer Sport that we just bought:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums

https://www.facebook.com/groups/872531582803278/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1544260442485286/

I've not heard any exhausts on any of the Ecoboost platforms that I'm a fan of, personally. Yet, I did just install a WMS Catless Downpipe on my Ecoboost Mustang and am digging that added low-end growl and turbo howl. Highly likely that will be something that makes it onto the Explorer.

Clemson

Established Member
My eco boosted Fusion is a turd. Terrible gas mileage, horrible torque steer, days and days to spool up, transmission is a complete POS. Other than that, great car. LOL

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
What catch can is everyone using on the 16+ Explorer? It looks like the engine layout changes slightly and the 09-15 catch cans for transverse ecoboost engines no longer fits.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
UPR should make a catch can, although it is not listed on their website. just make sure you get hoses long enough to mount it outside the engine bay.

Zemedici

Established Member
Dont worry about doing exhaust on the eco, it will sound like junk, and downpipes can potentially cause turbo issues. Tint the windows and give her a nice stereo, done deal. That's what I'm going to do to my girl's Tahoe when I snag her one. No need for a hotrod mom mobile. :lol:

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Do this and have a very happy wife! https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP663152

The EcoBoost motor is a very stout engine and will treat you fine for a very long time. I have 53K on my MKS, runs like a charm and I'll be tuning it this Fall. We have another member on here that has his SHO tuned and has 115K miles with no issues.

Last edited:

FastKatt

Established Member
I love the sound of my 16 Sport
Replaced the resonator and mufflers with MagnaFlo
Also added a K&N CAI
Next up is a time

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

Bleegman

Installed BORLA Sport tuned Cat-back exhaust on my 15 Explorer Sport. Sounds AMAZING! Highly recommend it- also probably got 20-30 HP gain.

Users who are viewing this thread