16 6.7 w/ p0087

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
bone stock truck, roughly 180k miles on it.

It went into limp mode with reduced power and threw code for fuel rail/system pressure too low
Its our road side guys truck - he said it also is slower to start than it used to be

replaced both fuel filters, no signs of metal in either one, still doing the same thing

looking for guidance on to diagnose - i have forscan so can look at pretty much any PID

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Threw the laptop on it and anything over half throttle fuel rail pressure doesn’t keep up. It’ll command ~28k and only get 21-22 and derate. Part throttle it kept up at 25kpsi

Is there anything other than the high pressure pump and is it a certainty that it’s shit metal and we need this damn ~5k repair kit with all the lines etc…?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Only thing I can think of is the high pressure pump. If you didn't see metal anywhere you might have gotten lucky and the pump just failed. Or is failing. If that's the case you shouldn't need to replace all the lines and stuff. But I'd throw one of those disaster kits on it for future safety.

Something just occurred to me. One of the times I changed the filters I didn't tighten the frame filter housing enough and it kept sucking air. It gave me the low rail pressure code. Maybe the frame pump is dying out and can't supply the high pressure pump.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Only thing I can think of is the high pressure pump. If you didn't see metal anywhere you might have gotten lucky and the pump just failed. Or is failing. If that's the case you shouldn't need to replace all the lines and stuff. But I'd throw one of those disaster kits on it for future safety.

Something just occurred to me. One of the times I changed the filters I didn't tighten the frame filter housing enough and it kept sucking air. It gave me the low rail pressure code. Maybe the frame pump is dying out and can't supply the high pressure pump.
Ya I’ll look more for a way to check the first pump tomorrow but I didn’t see any pids for it.

I guess at this point just pull the rail pressure sensor and if there’s no metal there either throw a new pump in and pray

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
We don't have time to keep ****ing with it, having it towed down to the dealer in Tampa since there aren't any Ford shops we can trust up here. I have asked them to look into adding the disaster prevention kit if they have to replace everything.

96dreamer

Established Member
Aaand it’s proper ****ed as expected, ~11k bill incoming
See if they can pinpoint it to bad fuel or at least say it was bad fuel. I have heard of a ton of people having the fuel system covered under their insurance if they can prove they got bad fuel or put a claim in saying the truck was vandalized by someone putting something in the gas tank.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
See if they can pinpoint it to bad fuel or at least say it was bad fuel. I have heard of a ton of people having the fuel system covered under their insurance if they can prove they got bad fuel or put a claim in saying the truck was vandalized by someone putting something in the gas tank.
his truck gets 99.5% of his fuel from our fuel tanks all of our trucks fuel from. There were no significant signs of water damager or anything. It made it 180,000 miles which seems to be a pretty good run for that pump.

I did realize they weren't reflecting our Ford parts account and it dropped from just over 11k to just over 9k.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The 9k is about what I was told it would cost for a full system from a guy that does this stuff for the government. It's why I spent $350 on the disaster proof kit.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The 9k is about what I was told it would cost for a full system from a guy that does this stuff for the government. It's why I spent $350 on the disaster proof kit.
clearly I wasn't up to snuff on this, looks like we'll be ordering 2 of em.

Which one did you go with?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I actually ordered it through Amazon. There's a version without the fuel filter. But I went with it because it gives me a spot to easily look for metal. And without it I think the metal can still make it back to the tank, but not make it to the injectors because of the stock filters. This way is seems everything would be contained between the pump and filter.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I actually ordered it through Amazon. There's a version without the fuel filter. But I went with it because it gives me a spot to easily look for metal. And without it I think the metal can still make it back to the tank, but not make it to the injectors because of the stock filters. This way is seems everything would be contained between the pump and filter.

thanks, I think I saw your post about it somewhere - how long did it take you to install? Maybe they'll have a black friday sale

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
thanks, I think I saw your post about it somewhere - how long did it take you to install? Maybe they'll have a black friday sale

About 4 hours from grabbing my tools to having it idling again. And that was the deepest I've gone on my truck so far. Getting the upper intake off was the hardest part.

Users who are viewing this thread