Deez nuts....
Established Member
Carnage!!!! :rockon:

DalesEngine003.jpg

DalesEngine002.jpg

DalesEngine001.jpg

harvboi05

Established Member
all things considered, thats not as bad as i thought it would be with a broken piston. what cylinder was it?

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
Wow - Looks like the rod bent, too, which is probably what did the piston. I do not mean to flame you as you are facing serius bucks there and I do sympathize, believe me. But,there are just too many problems with nitrous; seen way too many backfires and total car fires with it. Maybe it's a cheap way to make power but it sure seems expensive in the long run.

Good luck with however you decide to fix it........Good time for a built bottom end and some forced induction maybe for that "extra" 150 hp. The aluminator s/b isn't too expensive and it comes in either s/c or n/a compression ratios.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
IMO, nitrous for the most part is safe as long as you have all the support safety mechanisms.... WOT activation, window switch, cooler plugs, etc....

However, having that said I've seen more engine failures with a wet kit than a dry one. Adding fuel into the intake track before the injectors is just another hand in the cookie jar. Chances of puddling increase. But 150 on a stock block is asking a lot.

dadro77- What plugs and what was the timing?

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
RIP. I take it this was a wet shot?

EDIT: nevermind. I just read your sig. It was wet.

Drink a beer for a fallen soldier....

Is that the new "piston weight reduction" mod?

Yes, but it robs horsepower....

how did the car run before that? any dyno #s, or track times?

Ran great. 317 rwhp 317 rwtq on a dynojet..

all things considered, thats not as bad as i thought it would be with a broken piston. what cylinder was it?

There are actually 2 bent rods. I think that one was #3.

Damn what happened? Over rev? Spray too low?

Well, it happened on the dyno. First run she went a little lean, so he backed out. Took out some timing, added fuel. (255 focus fuel pump) Second pull she blew. It puddled in the intake, which is a common problem with our cars from what I hear.

Wow - Looks like the rod bent, too, which is probably what did the piston. I do not mean to flame you as you are facing serius bucks there and I do sympathize, believe me. But,there are just too many problems with nitrous; seen way too many backfires and total car fires with it. Maybe it's a cheap way to make power but it sure seems expensive in the long run.

Good luck with however you decide to fix it........Good time for a built bottom end and some forced induction maybe for that "extra" 150 hp. The aluminator s/b isn't too expensive and it comes in either s/c or n/a compression ratios.

Yes, I considered the alluminator. That block was actually a Mach 1 shortblock I put in the car last year. I spun a bearing in the original Teksid. My Teksid is getting built now with a strocker kit .020 over with 9.1 compression. It will be able to hold more power than the alluminator.

Ouch....and I was seriously about to order a kit this week. Now I'm on the fence again...

Just keep it at 100 and you will be fine. I put about 10 bottles through it at 100 without even changing my tune. It kicks in hard when everything goes right....

IMO, nitrous for the most part is safe as long as you have all the support safety mechanisms.... WOT activation, window switch, cooler plugs, etc....

However, having that said I've seen more engine failures with a wet kit than a dry one. Adding fuel into the intake track before the injectors is just another hand in the cookie jar. Chances of puddling increase. But 150 on a stock block is asking a lot.

dadro77- What plugs and what was the timing?

The plugs are TR6's, and I'm not 100% where the timing was as it was on the dyno for the first time with the 150 shot getting the tune. It was at 475 rwtq when she popped!!

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I am curious what did this one in... I have relatively high miles on my car (135,000) and it takes the 100 shot like a champ. It's a wet kit, too. I run TR6 plugs, 255 fuel pump, and at least 93 octane gas. My window switch is set from 3600- 6200. I agree that nitrous is safe for the most part, but all it takes is for one piece of the puzzle to fail and your motor can go boom. Turbos and SCs are no different- detonation/ lack of fuel is the enemy.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Nevermind, you posted at the same time I did. It sounds like you had your fun, and have another engine in the works. At least you had something else lined up. Get it fixed... summer is almost here :beer:

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Nevermind, you posted at the same time I did. It sounds like you had your fun, and have another engine in the works. At least you had something else lined up. Get it fixed... summer is almost here :beer:

Ya, it will be boosted now. And i live in South Florida, it is like summer all year!!:pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread