15" Rear drag wheel

HighTorque

Established Member
So I have a 14 and have heard that it is possible to run a 15" rear wheel with some modifications. Is there a kit that includes everything I would need or can someone point me in the right direction on what all I would need to do?

I only drag race the car never road race so I am not worried about going to smaller brakes.

I want to run a 15" weld rear and the biggest drag radial I can fit without rubbing.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
Bps makes the parts you need to fit 15" wheels. I think you need a brake kit and sway bar relocation kit then I believe they fit.

Speedboosted

Established Member
You can just find a local 05-12 owner or non gt500 13-14 owner and swap rear brakes with him. Have him pay for the shop to do the work (or make him do all the work if he knows how to) and then it'd be a pretty even trade

HighTorque

Established Member
You can just find a local 05-12 owner or non gt500 13-14 owner and swap rear brakes with him. Have him pay for the shop to do the work (or make him do all the work if he knows how to) and then it'd be a pretty even trade

I have a couple of friends locally that have offered but if I can do the conversion relatively cheap I would like to keep the take off parts like I have with all of my other mods.

The hardest part is having to remove the axle for the caliper bracket right?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What gears are you running?
Yes 15" possible, BPS has a nice kit but there are some serious 18" drag radials. I run a pro compound Hoosier 325/45/18 but it's almost 30" so you need big power and 4.10s.
I see mention drag radials, but if you're dropping to 15s a bias ply wrinkle wall is much more forgiving on a stick car like this. Drag radials can work, but it's on/off like a switch, the bias ply is much more consistent.
-J

dotmpeg

Established Member
Everyone is forgetting about the shocks rubbing. If you have a performance pack car you will need to either replace them or move them over a little.

dotmpeg

Established Member
I would go with the billetproshop lightweight rear brake kit with sway bar relocation kit. It saves you weight over the factory 12 rear brakes. I have this kit and it works really well.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Everyone is forgetting about the shocks rubbing. If you have a performance pack car you will need to either replace them or move them over a little.

Correct but not a huge issue. I'm attempting to keep the big rear brakes and do it on a 18" first.
If you build the rear axle, 9" ends are the ideal, and it opens up more rear brake options while still allowing stock brakes.
I'm hoping to find a 13" rear brake to work in a Bogart 16x10-11" to run the large Hoosier 16" bias ply.
Trust me I've ran 9s on DRs and it's much more fun to use a bias ply and have consistency.
Also, Hoosier makes a non-DOT 17x10 slick that clears stock brakes on 17x10 RTS.
Just throwing out some options.
-J

HighTorque

Established Member
Thanks for all the input. I currently have 17" race stars with 305/45 et street r's

great tire but i feel the added sidewall of a 15 would help tremendously.

I have a svtpp track pack car with factorry 331 gears.

I am looking to into bias ply tires as well as drag radials and i would like the radial just to be able to drive the

car to the track without having to lug around a set of tires in my car.

Softballer77

Established Member
I had been running th 17x10" Weld RT-S's back there with no rubbing on the shock on my PP car. (fronts are 18x5 RT-S)

I did just have the BPS kit installed on my car though so that I could run a 15" wheel as well in hoping i could run a DOT bias ply for better traction. I'm researching tires as we speak for the 15x10 matching RTS I will have back there. Wondering myself what size I could go with that wouldn't rub as I'm wanting max width and height. Which brings up another subject...

...MT Streets vs Street Rs. I'm wanting to run a DOT approved Bias'd ply on the new 15x10s. (i'll keep my 17"x10" welds with the DRs for other days). There is a huge weight difference between these two tires (24vs33) on a 28" diameter tire. Plus, i can't figure out if the Street Rs are a biased, a radial, or a mixture of both (as I've read all 3 lol).

Anyways, just more thoughts on your 15" wheel thread as far as tires go. I don't know what tires won't rub on a 15"x10" wheel just yet with the BPS kit installed...

HighTorque

Established Member
i had been running th 17x10" weld rt-s's back there with no rubbing on the shock on my pp car. (fronts are 18x5 rt-s)

i did just have the bps kit installed on my car though so that i could run a 15" wheel as well in hoping i could run a dot bias ply for better traction. I'm researching tires as we speak for the 15x10 matching rts i will have back there. Wondering myself what size i could go with that wouldn't rub as i'm wanting max width and height. Which brings up another subject...

...mt streets vs street rs. I'm wanting to run a dot approved bias'd ply on the new 15x10s. (i'll keep my 17"x10" welds with the drs for other days). There is a huge weight difference between these two tires (24vs33) on a 28" diameter tire. Plus, i can't figure out if the street rs are a biased, a radial, or a mixture of both (as i've read all 3 lol).

Anyways, just more thoughts on your 15" wheel thread as far as tires go. I don't know what tires won't rub on a 15"x10" wheel just yet with the bps kit installed...

nice let me know what tire you decide on. I love the street r's great tire used them at wanna go fast felt solid.

I will also be running weld 15x10 rears and 18x5 fronts.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the input. I currently have 17" race stars with 305/45 et street r's

great tire but i feel the added sidewall of a 15 would help tremendously.

I have a svtpp track pack car with factorry 331 gears.

I am looking to into bias ply tires as well as drag radials and i would like the radial just to be able to drive the

car to the track without having to lug around a set of tires in my car.
Trust me and quote me on this, you WILL smoke your stock clutch if you keep the 3.31s. The 3.31s have even smoked a few aftermarket clutches.
It's just a retarded rear gear to use if you really plan to drag race frequently.
4.10>3.90>3.73, but your concern should be for the gears more than a 15" tire.
-J

HighTorque

Established Member
Yes I know my car doesn't even have a tune on it. All suspension mods but im at the point now where clutch protection is killing my 60'

So next step is 13-6 kit with McLeod clutch. Im a fan of the 3.31 because I finish 1/4 in 3rd gear

dotmpeg

Established Member
I dont have 15s yet but from my research on here im pretty sure they rub. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Users who are viewing this thread