15 inch vs 17 inch wheels for street use?

evoryne

Established Member
Hey everyone, I need help deciding what rear wheel set up to go with. My car is a M6 whippled 2013 GT making about 650whp, it will be used mainly on the street ( weekend car) w/ occasional visits to the strip. My stock Brembo wheels and tires are not cutting it lol. I’m currently looking at getting Forgestar F14s either in 17x10 or 15x10 w/ drag radials. I know I should use slicks for stick car on the track but it’s mostly gonna be on the street so I’m leaning towards DR. I would really appreciate it if I can get some input on a few questions and any recommendations would be much appreciated.

1. What are the pros and cons of using a 15inch vs 17inch rear wheel on the street? As far as high speed wobbles, durability, cornering, ect.

2. Would a 15x8 wheel w/ a 275 width DR hold my power level on the street? I’m just hesitant of 15x8 incase I need more tire width for traction.

Pretty much just looking for a set up that works and is most practical for street use but able to handle 600-700hp.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ATX5.0

Established Member
I have a ‘12 5.0 mt82 NA on 15x10 with 555R and no issues at all. Car still spins in 2nd gear but controllable. I would think at your power level a M/T SS or Street R for the street.
I use Hoosier QTP slicks only for the drag strip and would highly recommend.

nate-roth

Established Member
Go with the 15x10, I run these with MT Drag Radial Pros 275X60 and can hook on the street (M6 trans) when temps are above 70F. Im at about 650rwhp. 15" tires are cheaper too and I think look better.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
I'm a little late on this one, but 15's for sure. I've gone from 15's and Radial Pros to Pro Bracket Radials (even better!), to 17's with the ET Street R (noticeably less grip on the street) and am now going back to 15's with Pro Bracket Radials for street/strip.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I went from 19 to 20s (LOL) to 15s. I wished 8 would have done this sooner. Do not plan an cutting corners though. At your power level you can either have great straight line traction or great cornering but not both.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
275/60 MT Pro Radial DR on a 15 inch otherwise it will be a skating pond going down the hi way and u will definitely want to make more power as time goes on.

Do it right the first time. They drive perfect on the hi way and I take hi way corners no problem at 80 mph. Not to mention its a much softer ride than lower profile tires especially when u hit them beloved Pot Holes!

But ur in Texas so u probably dont have many pot holes down there lol

At the track u can get away with the 17 but not on the street cause they dont offer a Pro Radial in a 17. Thats my experience at least.

Users who are viewing this thread