15 F150 Long Term Decision

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Our ‘15 has been pretty solid minus the horrible passenger side window seal and the subsequent howling.

Brakes and only one 40 dollar repair in ~90,000 miles.

I have no clue how “out of date the sync system” is, but it doesn’t seem to bother my wife who has put on 80% of the miles.

Having said all that, if it’s a “long term” truck, you acknowledge you’re going to have to make sacrifices. Who cares if the sync is a little dated, the interior isn’t spotless, and there are blemishes on the steps?

As long as it runs safely and doesn’t have glaring deficiencies you can’t stand, why spend 40-70,000 dollars on a new truck?

Edit: what kind of long term gas mileage are you 6r80/5.0 guys seeing? Ours is around 17.3, almost zero towing.

About 18.3ish summer, and 17ish winter...i live in the hills of PA

Towing closer to 15

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Our ‘15 has been pretty solid minus the horrible passenger side window seal and the subsequent howling.

Brakes and only one 40 dollar repair in ~90,000 miles.

I have no clue how “out of date the sync system” is, but it doesn’t seem to bother my wife who has put on 80% of the miles.

Having said all that, if it’s a “long term” truck, you acknowledge you’re going to have to make sacrifices. Who cares if the sync is a little dated, the interior isn’t spotless, and there are blemishes on the steps?

As long as it runs safely and doesn’t have glaring deficiencies you can’t stand, why spend 40-70,000 dollars on a new truck?

Edit: what kind of long term gas mileage are you 6r80/5.0 guys seeing? Ours is around 17.3, almost zero towing.

My wife hates the dated Navigation which is why I was looking to update it which is $1500ish. Not a big deal.

I have averaged 18mpg+ with the 6R80 3.5 EB. That is with towing and hauling.

I think CoVid Derangement Syndrome is the new Trump Derangement Syndrome.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Why not swap your tank to a 36gal? A quick search netted me this forum thread.

Seems it can be done for not too much assuming you can find the tank in a junk yard.

Sounds like you could get all the updates you want for ~$5k and your truck is still low mileage. I vote keep it.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I kinda have a similar scenario. I have an 08. Bought new, with 102k miles on it. Lifted, 35's, 5.4. Cant tow worth the shit and trying to decide whether to keep or private sell when my '22 arrives.

Wife says keep. "Its a paid off truck and people want free shit. **** em"
My 2015 F150 is about to hit 71,500 miles and outside of frustrations with the Panoramic Roof, the truck has been great. It is a Lariat Screw, FX4 with the amazing Tuxedo Black paint. We put a bunch of miles the first few years but have barely put 6k miles a year the last 3. It has the 3.5 EB max tow/toe.

Just put new tires on it, had the trans and coolant system flushed last year, I keep up on oil changes, etc…

It does need a few things. The interior needs detailed badly, it needs a paint correction, and the clear is coming off the step bars. Last, the Sync system is dated.

I’d really like to keep this long term as I do really like the truck and it serves us well. But there are a few things needing addressed like I said. There is a Sync 3 upgrade which is about $1500. I was thinking about dropping it off with a blank check for detailing and paint correction. Last I was thinking of taking the step bars off, taking them to get powder coated a Matte Textured Black.

I wouldn’t mind a new F150 the same setup. The issue is I have seen many people complain about the 10R80s where the 6R80 in mine has been perfect. Also, do I really want to go order a truck that will be $70k or so to get what I have now, minus what I could get for mine, so back to a payment for a year or so. Versus no payment and just a few $k in maintenance type BS?

Here is the Sync 3 Upgrade.
https://www.4dtech.com/f150-2015-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

Anyone have any experience with this upgrade?

Also, keep the 15 or get a new one?

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Why not swap your tank to a 36gal? A quick search netted me this forum thread.

Seems it can be done for not too much assuming you can find the tank in a junk yard.

Sounds like you could get all the updates you want for ~$5k and your truck is still low mileage. I vote keep it.

Thanks for this. I think that just made
My decision for me.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
My wife hates the dated Navigation which is why I was looking to update it which is $1500ish. Not a big deal.

I have averaged 18mpg+ with the 6R80 3.5 EB. That is with towing and hauling.

I'm surprised it's so much more in the F150's. In the Taurus/Explorer, it's about $700 or less depending on who you get it from. Aren't the screens pretty much the same in both?

Edit: I'm referring to upgrading to Sync 3.

Last edited:

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Sync 2 sucks, I'm guessing that's why they only put in the '15's.

I have two 10r80's, one in my '19 CC 3.5 Platinum and one in my Co. vehicle, a '21 CC 2.7 XLT Sport. The 6r80 I had in my '16 XLT & '14 GT was a great trans but there isn't even a discussion of which one is better in my trucks.
Towing is better, it's faster, and the mpg's are better. I consistently get 19 mpg's with the Platinum and 22.5 mpg's with the 2.7.
Oh I could never live without the 36 gal tank. My range on the '19 3.5 is 600-650 miles up just over 700 on road trips, and the 2.7 is 700- 750 and up to 800 miles.

DoneItDeliberate

Established Member
My parents have a 2018 F150 SCREW 4x4 Lariat with the 2.7EB and 10R80. They love the 10R80 and the truck had no problem towing my 1998 GT from CA to NV at 70+. I have to say I am really impressed with the 2.7L and 10R80 combination.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
OP I swapped my Sync 2 to Sync 3 non nav I use waze for like $450-$500. Look up Watson Tech on the F150 forums. Great honest dude, preprogrammed. I did the swap in my driveway easy. Bought the interior trim kit from Harbor Freight for like $7.00. Sold my Sync 2 set up for $80.00. I love my 15 F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coposrv

Established Member
Overall clean-ish, paint scratched and a little worn, a little dated inside but still reliable is just about when a truck is broken in.

KEEP IT

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread