15 F150 Long Term Decision

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My 2015 F150 is about to hit 71,500 miles and outside of frustrations with the Panoramic Roof, the truck has been great. It is a Lariat Screw, FX4 with the amazing Tuxedo Black paint. We put a bunch of miles the first few years but have barely put 6k miles a year the last 3. It has the 3.5 EB max tow/toe.

Just put new tires on it, had the trans and coolant system flushed last year, I keep up on oil changes, etc…

It does need a few things. The interior needs detailed badly, it needs a paint correction, and the clear is coming off the step bars. Last, the Sync system is dated.

I’d really like to keep this long term as I do really like the truck and it serves us well. But there are a few things needing addressed like I said. There is a Sync 3 upgrade which is about $1500. I was thinking about dropping it off with a blank check for detailing and paint correction. Last I was thinking of taking the step bars off, taking them to get powder coated a Matte Textured Black.

I wouldn’t mind a new F150 the same setup. The issue is I have seen many people complain about the 10R80s where the 6R80 in mine has been perfect. Also, do I really want to go order a truck that will be $70k or so to get what I have now, minus what I could get for mine, so back to a payment for a year or so. Versus no payment and just a few $k in maintenance type BS?

Here is the Sync 3 Upgrade.
https://www.4dtech.com/f150-2015-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

Anyone have any experience with this upgrade?

Also, keep the 15 or get a new one?

I think CoVid Derangement Syndrome is the new Trump Derangement Syndrome.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I have a 16 with 50K miles and am going to try and time a hybrid purchase in 3 years. Am watching what happens with regulations.

I am doing minor upgrades to keep it fresh.

SHOdown220

Established Member
It's easier to just trade and get the new one but realistically you might be surprised how big of a difference some upgrades and a professional detail will bring back the truck to what you want.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 16 with 50K miles and am going to try and time a hybrid purchase in 3 years. Am watching what happens with regulations.

I am doing minor upgrades to keep it fresh.

I thought about the Hybrid/3.5 EB F150 but again, I just keep hearing people unhappy with the 10R80.

The two big gripes I have with mine is the Sync 2 system and 23 gallon fuel tank. The 36 gallon tank was not included in the max tow/toe in 15.

It's easier to just trade and get the new one but realistically you might be surprised how big of a difference some upgrades and a professional detail will bring back the truck to what you want.

Upgrades are not bad. I am leaning towards just keeping the 15 as I really do like it. And when the engine becomes an issue I can either upgrade to a newer Gen 3.5 or upgrade to possibly the F250 if at that time I am towing regularly.

But I do like the new F150s. It would be nice to have a warranty. But again, outside of the roof the truck has been reliable. And I love the color.

velocicaur

Established Member
Carvana is giving insane offers for trucks now. It's worth checking it out and then seeing what a new one would run. You might be able to get into a new truck at a fairly "reasonable" price.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
If it wasn't an EB, I would have been interested

I mean, I guess if you like your truck searching for gears on an incline you buy a Coyote F150 versus towing 5500lbs on hills and it making one gear change while knocking down 16mpg at 70mph with the 3.5EB.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Not really looking to tow with it. Just a fun truck for around town and when I need shit for the house.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
Not really looking to tow with it. Just a fun truck for around town and when I need shit for the house.

Mine is used by the wife to haul the person McNugget around during the week, haul stuff, and tow. It is fun enough, the truck can roast tire at like 20mph.

We drive my company vehicle all other times. I can have up to 20% of the use and gas be personal. So we take it on vacation, wife takes it to work on Saturdays that she works, etc…

Then the Mustangs are for fun.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I know for the Gen 1 Raptor(Sync 2) there's guys on the forums that sell a complete kit to conver to the latest Sync 3 for like 650. Plug and play

Not sure for the 15s that have sync 2 are that much more complicated to upgrade to justify the price there

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When I worked at the Ford Dealership, we never saw any issues with the 10R80. We also rarely had any issues with the EcoBoost engines, unless it was the 1.5/1.7 4 banger in the Escape. The 2.7 and 3.5 Ecoboost engines commonly went well over 150K with nothing but normal maintenance.
Don't change the oil on time, different result. As expected.

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
When I worked at the Ford Dealership, we never saw any issues with the 10R80. We also rarely had any issues with the EcoBoost engines, unless it was the 1.5/1.7 4 banger in the Escape. The 2.7 and 3.5 Ecoboost engines commonly went well over 150K with nothing but normal maintenance.
Don't change the oil on time, different result. As expected.

So, I didn’t mean to insinuate the 10R80s had repair issues. I have seen a good deal of people complain of the smoothness of the trans. Many said they think it is the shifting in normal mode due to skipping gears. They said it is non existent when you have it in sport mode and it goes through every gear.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
So, I didn’t mean to insinuate the 10R80s had repair issues. I have seen a good deal of people complain of the smoothness of the trans. Many said they think it is the shifting in normal mode due to skipping gears. They said it is non existent when you have it in sport mode and it goes through every gear.

They can be a tad quirky at times, especially when new. I've got used to it. Sport mode holds the revs higher though, so not as good on gas.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Im in the same boat with my 15 screw xlt 5.0

I got a 130k on her and she has bern great...had to raplace a trans cooler line once but other than that just normal shit, brakes, tires, oil etc. She is starting to rattle a bit on bumpy roads when its cold too

I want a new xlt screw but i like bot having a payment lol

And yeah thr clear coat is coming off my boards too

Deceptive

Established Member
Premium Member
I also know i want a 2022 xlt black appearance package

See, I would want pretty much my same truck 22 Lariat FX4 SCrew with Max Tow and that is about $70k.

I figure maybe $3-4k in refreshing is about what it will take.

My truck was gone through about 7k miles ago. Last Thanksgiving I dropped it off for a week and had them drain every fluid and service the truck. I just had another oil change in September when I had the tires replaced. Brakes were done last year.

I’d love a new one for the 36 gallon fuel tank and warranty but damn I do love the Tuxedo Black and how smooth the 3.5EB is with the 6R80.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
See, I would want pretty much my same truck 22 Lariat FX4 SCrew with Max Tow and that is about $70k.

I figure maybe $3-4k in refreshing is about what it will take.

My truck was gone through about 7k miles ago. Last Thanksgiving I dropped it off for a week and had them drain every fluid and service the truck. I just had another oil change in September when I had the tires replaced. Brakes were done last year.

I’d love a new one for the 36 gallon fuel tank and warranty but damn I do love the Tuxedo Black and how smooth the 3.5EB is with the 6R80.

I love my 36g tank...until i have to fill it lol...but man i can go way north of 600miles before i NEED fuel

Wouldnt have any other tank

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Our ‘15 has been pretty solid minus the horrible passenger side window seal and the subsequent howling.

Brakes and only one 40 dollar repair in ~90,000 miles.

I have no clue how “out of date the sync system” is, but it doesn’t seem to bother my wife who has put on 80% of the miles.

Having said all that, if it’s a “long term” truck, you acknowledge you’re going to have to make sacrifices. Who cares if the sync is a little dated, the interior isn’t spotless, and there are blemishes on the steps?

As long as it runs safely and doesn’t have glaring deficiencies you can’t stand, why spend 40-70,000 dollars on a new truck?

Edit: what kind of long term gas mileage are you 6r80/5.0 guys seeing? Ours is around 17.3, almost zero towing.

Users who are viewing this thread