15" 6 piston brembos build thread

Svtmustang01

Established Member
I sold my bbs rk's winter last year and picked up a second hand set of 4 18x10 ccw c10s. These wheels are the only ones I could find that could fit the OD of the caliper except for the bbs specially made ones from ford racing which i dont necessarily like. Vintage Venom went out of business so im building a one off kit that uses the same concept.
I know 15" brakes are over kill but I got them for cheap and wanted to give it a go since I havent seen it done yet on a new edge.
Here are some teaser pictures of what it will look like.

IMG_20150623_161009_zps8khbp1da.jpg

IMG_20150623_161742_zps4xaytyaj.jpg

IMG_20150623_161030_zpssjidyjwg.jpg

EB85

Established Member
Was that kit used on anything previously? Those calipers look nice and shiny.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
damn man thats alot of added weight. I wonder what the gains will be. My 14" Brembo setup paired with Michelin pilot sports up front tries to yank my eyes out of socket if I mash on the brakes! This is going to be insane. Do you think the stock brake booster will support these? What are you doing for the rears?

Svtmustang01

Established Member
The gt500s all run a single piston in the rears with a 14" rotor. Right now im just going to leave it stock but probably in the future just fit the the stock cobra rear caliper to a 14" rotor.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
Any update? I would love to see the brackets you make to get the gt500 calipers to work. I want to do this to but vintage venom went out of business I didn't think I could but if you can do it maybe you might make another set of brackets :coolman:

Tomyobombyo

Established Member
i got the brembo kit on my cobra i have to run a minimum 18" wheel so my stock Cobra's are set to the side :/

Attachments

• svt cobra side shot.jpg
    svt cobra side shot.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 980

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Yeah i have the spacers completely ready. Im trying to find good drawings of an s197 spindle but cant seem to find any. If someone had a vintage venom kit and took some pictures and measurements for me i could replicate the kit on the conputer in 10 minutes.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
Done right, you'll be ripping up some asphalt like an acme cartoon character, good stuff man.

I'm just wondering how much you'll have to do to get them to work properly. Also I don't know how the suspension geometry will fair. I'm sure something like a Griggs sla or agent 47 sla could likely handle the stress, but short of a maximum motors ports or steeds k member, I don't know how well the typical front suspension options would fair.

Rear brake wise, I'd look into a decent 12-13" rotor on a 4piston to balance all that front end bite unless you prefer the balance of a big front, small rear brake combo when lapping. Some drivers can trail brake and correct it with heavy pedal work even on a small rear setup, but I've heard the best results from about a 70-30 to 60/40 setup. I'd imagine a 15 6p front and 12-13" 1p read would be closer to a 90/10 but you might be able to get 80/20 with some master adjustment and tuning.

Just adding some dialogue to the discussion, all in the name of a great result, if someone doesn't mention the seemingly discouraging stuff, sometimes these kind of projects have unanticipated results.

Good luck in general though, and hopefully you can dial it in exactly how you'd like/are planning.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Any ideas are more than welcome here. I was thinking about doing a kind of knock off of ftbr poor man brake kit. Use the stock caliper with a 14" rotor. The problem with 4 piston rears is sourcing ones that can work cheaply. I have read that you cant use front calipers on the rear without a proportioning valve because the pistons are to big and will cause them to lock up before the fronts. The only caliper that can be had for not a bad price for the rear is from a cts v.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
That's what I've seen as well. I researched switching to brakeman brakes setup because it all read and sounded accurate but I never got around to fully vetting the info.

He had a lot of good info on the math's regarding force control and unsprung weight, lock up, etc.

I've only seen expensive 2p and 4p rear calipers as well.

Ive seen people switch to huge 6p wilwood and brembo systems only to lose feel, gain stopping distance etc.

I plan to get knee deep into the brake system after I do some cosmetic stuff to my interior. I've been happy with my 13" cobra r kit thus far, and the local road course is closing so I won't have much use for huge brakes until next summer if I start hitting out of state track days when I have more time.

I'm surprised at how well my current brake setup works, Brembo cobra r's, hawk pads, stainless lines, dot4, and my buddy/mechanic has tuned the brake balance/booster iirc. With a dialed suspension and tire setup, I've seen that my braking needs are much less than I thought years back. I'd be surprised if my 60-0 stopping distance is anything over 95-100ft. I know my daily driver is rated by motortrend around 105ft 60-0 ('12 regal gs on the stickier summer tires) and my cobra feels much better/confident while braking.

Last edited:

PEKStang

Established Member
6 piston front brembo brake swap

I am in the process of adapting 6 piston brembo brakes to my spindles. Since Vintage Venom is out of business I have to come up with an
adapter or if someone else has already done one maybe they can help me out. I have already adapted the GT500 14 inch rear discs to my 03
IRS spindle. I mocked up an adapter and had it made out of billet aluminum. I used a rear Brembo brake caliper from an SRT8. Worked out
pretty good. I haven't put the IRS back into my mustang yet as I have some medical problems at this time. I can only do a little at a time, get
really fatigued.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
when i saw the title of this thread the first thing that popped into my head was wheel fitment but i see you tackled that already.

people need to be aware that only a couple of wheels out there will clear these brakes (in 18") due to the OD of the rotors/calipers. theyre massive. theyre also very heavy. i put them on my car and while they look sick i wish i would have left the stock 4 pots on so my stock wheels would still fit. i may end up dropping back down so i can run 18s again.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
I got all the sn95 dimensions i needed today. Now the only thing i need is a s197 spindle to measure or a 3 view picture of one.

I might make a few kits after i get mine settled out but i dont know due to liability issues etc.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
I got two replies from two local machine shops. The cheapest price for 4 spacers so far is $600. I have emailed a few places that specialize in wheel spacers to hopefully cut the cost down as i think 150 dollars per spacer is a little high to me.

Users who are viewing this thread