14GT base gauge cluster swapped for 14 premium gauges w/track apps.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Oh and you can also choose the BOSS cluster from a 13 boss if you want. Same process but you will need a boss vin. Boss cluster has the 180mph speedo, but no my color at this time. The hardware is there, but nobody has been able to unlock the mycolor options in the cluster firmware to be used. But the lights are there and the cluster changes all kinds of colors when you are flashing it.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Where does one acquire a Track Apps Instrument cluster for a base GT? Will these swap out and all the Track App functions work on a base GT????

Oh and I forgot to say "YES" the track apps will function perfectly along with all the extra gauges and whatnot including mycolor. Its very badass.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You will need to get a VIN from a premium GT same year as the cluster you want. (13 and 14 have different faces). Then order that and the steering wheel buttons at the same time. Then you can either take that to the dealer and see if they will install them and enter the as-built data from the other VIN (not yours) and then relearn the PATs to get the keys to work. If not then you can buy the $200 VCMII flash tool from online and do it your self. Then sell that tool to the next guy. Pretty easy and not as expensive as you would think.

$450 for gauges - after core return
$19 steering wheel buttons
$200 flash tool or around half that for dealer labor. If they charge you more than one hour I'd bitch.
So I can go online and choose the window sticker and VIN for any premium 13 or 14 GT, then use that VIN to order a gauge cluster, as well as use that VIN to get the as-built data for that car?

Now what issues will I have if I try and reupload my custom tune via my SCT? Will I run into any issues there?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I'm interested if I can switch to the boss gauges. I want the easier to read font and 9k tach. Does the tach face on the boss set light up at redline? Would custom tuning work with the new 180 speedo and 9k tach?

ajpturbo

Established Member
I'm interested if I can switch to the boss gauges. I want the easier to read font and 9k tach. Does the tach face on the boss set light up at redline? Would custom tuning work with the new 180 speedo and 9k tach?

I have done this. No problems with being tuned. I have the boss but there is no mycolor . Boss didn't come with it. I hated the font of the GT also. You need to get the cluster then have the dealer reset PATS and transfer as built data to the new cluster

Monster 5.0 do you post on other forums on that cluster thread?

Last edited:

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
I have done this. No problems with being tuned. I have the boss but there is no mycolor . Boss didn't come with it. I hated the font of the GT also. You need to get the cluster then have the dealer reset PATS and transfer as built data to the new cluster

No I don't. Just reader.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member

So you didn't have any issues with you tune loading? Good to hear

ajpturbo

Established Member
So you didn't have any issues with you tune loading? Good to hear

Nope, but you need an IDS scan tool or you have to go to the dealer with stock cluster and take your new one and have them install it and do PATS reset at the same time....Your car wont run unless you have the capability to reprogram the new cluster.

Slowb00st

Established Member
That other thread has about 70 page. Is the only way to change the millage on the cluster(New or used) to go to the dealer? If so how much do they normally charge?

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
That other thread has about 70 page. Is the only way to change the millage on the cluster(New or used) to go to the dealer? If so how much do they normally charge?

When you order the cluster, the dealer will ask you your current mileage and they will set it before the new one gets sent out. There is no extra charge for this.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Speaking with a Ford parts rep the other day, I learned that ford has since changes the policy in which core charge is returned. You have to send in the same cluster as you are buying to get your core charge back

ajpturbo

Established Member
Speaking with a Ford parts rep the other day, I learned that ford has since changes the policy in which core charge is returned. You have to send in the same cluster as you are buying to get your core charge back

This is not true. I know first hand.

ajpturbo

Established Member
I wonder if this swap would work for GT500's as well. I would love to have the 2013 gauge cluster in my 2011.

-Nick

Yes it can. You need to have an IDS scan tool(VCM II). Or a ford mechanic with patience and experience loading as built data into the cluster manually with IDS

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
I just spoke with Steve @ Tasca about it on Friday. He said that change had just come about. I don't know long ago you did yours, though.

This may be what Tasca says, but there are plenty of other dealers out there that have no issue giving you back the core on your base gauges. Trust me.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Can anyone confirm if the VCM II product posted below would work to program the new cluster and reset the PATS for the keys?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item338ae8a013&vxp=mtr

There are a number of them that cost $1500-2500 and quite a few that are around $400. Only differences that I can see between the two are that one is made in China and the other is a actual Ford tool.

-Nick

Last edited:

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Can anyone confirm if the VCM II product posted below would work to program the new cluster and reset the PATS for the keys?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professiona..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item338ae8a013&vxp=mtr

There are a number of them that cost $1500-2500 and quite a few that are around $400. Only differences that I can see between the two are that one is made in China and the other is a actual Ford tool.

-Nick

Yes thats the one, with wifi too. But there is a cheaper V86 one thats $195 without wireless. Not sure the difference. But that one will work.

Xplosiv

Established Member
I know i'm a noob but I work in parts @ a Ford dealer in Norman, OK. Just spoke to my parts manager and they require us to send back the exact same cluster we buy UNLESS theres been a part number change. Then it has to be one of the previous part numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread