#139 Carlisle 95 Cobra R

CarlisleBill

Tom,

I miss that car! I see you have some of the stories. I can certainly fill you in on the rest of them if you wish. A few might not even be in the family oriented spirit of the forum. lol I bought the car brand new from Family Ford in Carlisle, PA. My salesman/friend Ray McNew and I checked the oil, filled it with gas and drove to Englishtown to meet Evan Smith. We didn't even adjust the tire pressure for the first pass. I'm sure I have pictures on an old hard drive somewhere.

The car had about 11,000 on it when I sold it. Other than driving it back and forth to Watkins Glen and Summit Point the remainder were all at 6,000 rpm or above. We never had the valve covers off of the car. It was basically bulletproof.

Yes it did have subframe connectors, a prototype Mac exhaust, an AutoPower cage and the same suspension setup that Steeda used on the race cars. I went to college in West Palm and Dario and I became friends in the late 80's. I was at all of the races in the SE at the time and was in the pits with all of the R cars and I remember the Zippo cars well!!!

One story that you may not have heard is when Ray and I ran the Silver State Challenge. It was an amazing time. We were the only team out of about 150 to be disqualified for exceeding 20 mph over our rookie mandated target speed of either 140 or 150. I don't remember exactly but we did get clocked at over 170. The organization would not document it because of our disqualification. however, at the finish line the guy running the gun talked to us about it on video:) GREAT TIMES! I have that whole weekend including in-car video on old hi-8 film.

Does anyone know the story behind this shirt??? I dug it out just for you guys.

Bill III

IMG_1613.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1613.jpg
    IMG_1613.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 78

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Tom,

I miss that car! I see you have some of the stories. I can certainly fill you in on the rest of them if you wish. A few might not even be in the family oriented spirit of the forum. lol I bought the car brand new from Family Ford in Carlisle, PA. My salesman/friend Ray McNew and I checked the oil, filled it with gas and drove to Englishtown to meet Evan Smith. We didn't even adjust the tire pressure for the first pass. I'm sure I have pictures on an old hard drive somewhere.

The car had about 11,000 on it when I sold it. Other than driving it back and forth to Watkins Glen and Summit Point the remainder were all at 6,000 rpm or above. We never had the valve covers off of the car. It was basically bulletproof.

Yes it did have subframe connectors, a prototype Mac exhaust, an AutoPower cage and the same suspension setup that Steeda used on the race cars. I went to college in West Palm and Dario and I became friends in the late 80's. I was at all of the races in the SE at the time and was in the pits with all of the R cars and I remember the Zippo cars well!!!

One story that you may not have heard is when Ray and I ran the Silver State Challenge. It was an amazing time. We were the only team out of about 150 to be disqualified for exceeding 20 mph over our rookie mandated target speed of either 140 or 150. I don't remember exactly but we did get clocked at over 170. The organization would not document it because of our disqualification. however, at the finish line the guy running the gun talked to us about it on video:) GREAT TIMES! I have that whole weekend including in-car video on old hi-8 film.

Does anyone know the story behind this shirt??? I dug it out just for you guys.

Bill III

View attachment 1723600

Bill!

I NEED that shirt!!! haha

Yes, I would appreciate talking to you about the car. I called your office from the numbers in the documentation I was provided and you were out working in the field for an event. I was forwarded to your VM but it wasn't accepting messages. You don't have enough messages to DM so here is my number 956-457-9248.

I look forward to visiting with you. Tom

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
And one of the best Mustang owner stories.....just got better! Tom, you must be happy as a clam having all of this background history of that awesome Cobra. Really nice of Bill to join SVTP and jump into this thread.

CarlisleBill

I do have a whole box of brand new shirts. The Green Lateran brothel in Ely, NV had a car show the night before the race. All the “service professionals” came out and made and I’m not making this up “The Whores Choice”. It was simply the car that they all liked the most and all agreed on. The following year they used that car on the event t-shirts. Lol

The shirts are in PA and I am in FL until next April. I promise you will get a shirt though.

We were mentioned in several magazines for Silver State. Auto Week and Popular Hot Rodding mentioned us for being the only team to be disqualified for going too fast. That articlehad a great pic of us. I think that is in my office in Carlisle.

Give me a couple days and I’ll give you a call. Will be fun to catch up.

Bill III

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Bill,

That story is HILARIOUS! So, am I to understand I am driving "The Whores Choice"? HAHAHA

Jeff has reached out to me also. I believe he purchased the car from you. He removed the cage, race seats and most of the livery he has told me. He also put a rear seat in it before he sold it. It doesn't have the seat anymore but still has the belts. I am in the process of removing trim panels so I can remove them.

There is another owner and then I believe Mike, the person I purchased from.

I look forward to filling in the blanks. I told Mike, we are care takers of these vehicles. This isn't our story. It is the car's story. We all are just fortunate to be part of it and have our part to tell.

Looking forward to a visit. Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
And one of the best Mustang owner stories.....just got better! Tom, you must be happy as a clam having all of this background history of that awesome Cobra. Really nice of Bill to join SVTP and jump into this thread.
Yep, I'm jamming right now. The chase took over 15 years with dead ends and then it just fell out of a FB forum. I was really shocked nobody grabbed it while I was scrambling to put the funds together. And the story is just getting better and better with #139.

Tom

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Here is another small piece to the story. At some point around 2000 I came across a for sale ad for 95R #139. I wrote down the info on a sticky note and then in January of 2004 I called the number I had written down. It was an interesting conversation. Below is the message I sent Tom about it a few days later. Pretty crazy that was 18 years ago...

"I spoke to Mark Rudy of Bingington, PA the other night. He owned 95R #139 but has since sold it to someone in Buffalo, NY. He is an enthusiast and offered to dig up some info on the car and current owner. This car was one of the Carlisle cars and was raced in some IMSA races. His email address is mrudy@..."

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Here is another small piece to the story. At some point around 2000 I came across a for sale ad for 95R #139. I wrote down the info on a sticky note and then in January of 2004 I called the number I had written down. It was an interesting conversation. Below is the message I sent Tom about it a few days later. Pretty crazy that was 18 years ago...

"I spoke to Mark Rudy of Bingington, PA the other night. He owned 95R #139 but has since sold it to someone in Buffalo, NY. He is an enthusiast and offered to dig up some info on the car and current owner. This car was one of the Carlisle cars and was raced in some IMSA races. His email address is mrudy@..."

To continue this so it isn't left hanging Mark Rudy was owner #2. I've spoken to him. He owned it a short time and sold it to Jeff S. After Jeff there is a break in title until it gets to Mike H., whom I bought from. So, I am at least owner #5.

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I don't know how you can stand being without your R. These are really unique cars to drive on the street. I am amazed how much this street R reminds me of Zippo.

I know you sold your car. Where did it go?

Tom
Tom,
I sold my 1995 Cobra R production car to a collector in north GA. I think he still has it? I had a new 2019 Mustang GT350 ordered. This was 2019.
95Cobra3.jpg

My Stars and Stripes Snipes car got sold before then. Here it is at Road Atlanta "The Mitty" in 2013.
Mitty2013.jpg

Yes, I wish I had them back. 'No Doubt' as Bruce would say. ;) I say all cars are higher today than back 3-4 years ago.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Tom,
I love the old cars. I'd say all of them are up around 10%-20%+ today. Heck, houses around here have more than doubled.

I've looked around with no luck on the 1993, 1995, and 2000 Cobra R cars. I sure sold my 95R too soon. I say my market timing is not good.

Although, I did buy me 2019 Mustang GT350 at a good price. I drove it today, and it will go fast.

Blah, blahh, but the car is really fun to drive.

Whatever-turn off words.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
BTW, Tom,
We need to have an all Cobra, Cobra R, (new, or old) GT350 event soon, and you are the guy that knows how to organize it.

Just saying.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
BTW, Tom,
We need to have an all Cobra, Cobra R, (new, or old) GT350 event soon, and you are the guy that knows how to organize it.

Just saying.
Yes, it's been way too long. I'm not sure if anything can be done for 2023. But 2024 is the 60 Anniversary that will be put on by MCA is an excellent opportunity. They are finalizing their location this summer and then we have a whole year+ to plan and get it done. I really want to get everyone together.

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, it's been way too long. I'm not sure if anything can be done for 2023. But 2024 is the 60 Anniversary that will be put on by MCA is an excellent opportunity. They are finalizing their location this summer and then we have a whole year+ to plan and get it done. I really want to get everyone together.

Tom

Tom,
The 2024 event seems great to me. Please do it.
----
I got a call to come to AMP (Dawsonville, GA) on 5-28-22. I am thinking that I may bring the Mustang GT350? It's $200 for a full day of track time.

It's not racing, but I'll bring my helmet and fire suit (just in case).

Users who are viewing this thread