#139 Carlisle 95 Cobra R

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Back when I bought the Zippo R I started checking the history on all 95Rs I could find and started documenting them. One of particular interest was a car known as the "Carlisle" car. Others enthusiasts knew of it back in the 90s and then the car disappeared. It was said to have some level of race history and was infamous because it hit a deer at Summit Point on a straight and the deer ended up going through the windshield.

Carlisle SVT Trailer.jpg

It was also featured in a few magazine references. It was the first 95R to go down a drag strip with Evan Smith of MM&FF. It went from the dealer to the drag strip with 211 miles and ran a 13.43 at 105 mph. This was the quickest stock Mustang ever tested by MM&FF at that time.

I figured the car had been "de-modded" and turned into a stock looking R and was quietly existing without anyone knowing it's true provenance.

Then, in April 2021 there was a post on a FB Forum I am on which read:

Anyone interested in a 95R?
*Not a wrapper car*
Few small scratches and imperfections but looks great
20K Miles

Only mods:
Off-Road H-Pipe and Cat Back
H&R Springs
Standard Mustang Gas Tank

Early it was a track used car. Appears as if the hood and bumper were painted years ago, look great though.

There were a few comments from other posters and one person commented #139 was owned by Bill Miller, the son of Carlisle Productions. He knew the car because he owned #138 and they both came from the same dealer, Family Ford. Another svtperf member commented this could be the car that hit the deer at Summit Point. Then, the seller posted this image.

Carlisle AutoX.jpg

Finally, the car has been found.

Tom

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Continuing from above.....

The car was documented it was the Carlisle R and was in fact the car that hit the deer at Summit Point.

I've been looking for a street R for many years and hadn't found the right car. I didn't want a wrapper. I wanted an R I could enjoy and drive. I kept thinking about this car and the history with it. The fact it had miles but was well-preserved fit right into my game plan.

On August 18, 2021 I contacted the owner about the car and it was still for sale. I asked about the history and he had a TON of documentation. He sent me photos of both window stickers, race results, modifications done when raced and other items.

thumbnail (6).jpg

thumbnail (5).jpg

He also sent pictures of the car and it was better than I expected. The engine compartment was very complete for a race car.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

The interior was equally clean and complete.

thumbnail (2).jpg

And, the deer through the windshield finally explained the damage on the dash pad.

thumbnail (3).jpg

He confirmed there were holes in the rear floor pans where a roll bar had been bolted in and prior sub-frame connectors had been removed. From undercarriage photos it also had aftermarket a-arms, rear upper control arms, braided front brake lines, and a bump-steer kit on top of the items he already mentioned in the For Sale post.

On September 12 we came to an agreement for the purchase of the R.

Tom

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
And the final update:

I arrived in town to pick up the car and it was a great process. The owner was very accommodating and let me set up my trailer in his shop and work on the car. There is an event this weekend at Heartland Park in Topeka, KS hosted by the MCA. So I wanted to go through the brakes, oil and check the car over before the event.

DSCN0236.JPG

DSCN0237.JPG

DSCN0230.JPG

All went well and I got the Nitto 01s mounted. Time for final photos and load up for Heartland Park. The hood looked a little plain so I added the proper decal!

DSCN0247.JPG

DSCN0225.JPG

DSCN0248.JPG

DSCN0251.JPG

Zippo will enjoy having the Carlisle R in the shop. WAHOO!!!!!

Tom

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Fantastic write up, can't wait to see what you do with it? Leave it "as found", convert back to "as raced", or a combination of the two. As for the aftermarket suspension pieces, quite a few of the "R" guys "back in the day", were using Kenny Brown sourced underpinnings and suspension parts, as was my #99. Rollbar, as a bolt in, most likely sourced from Autopower, would need to see pictures to check which one.

Again, great car, and find.

Bill S.

JeremyBoc

Established Member
Back when I bought the Zippo R I started checking the history on all 95Rs I could find and started documenting them. One of particular interest was a car known as the "Carlisle" car. Others enthusiasts knew of it back in the 90s and then the car disappeared. It was said to have some level of race history and was infamous because it hit a deer at Summit Point on a straight and the deer ended up going through the windshield.

View attachment 1722209

It was also featured in a few magazine references. It was the first 95R to go down a drag strip with Evan Smith of MM&FF. It went from the dealer to the drag strip with 211 miles and ran a 13.43 at 105 mph. This was the quickest stock Mustang ever tested by MM&FF at that time.

I figured the car had been "de-modded" and turned into a stock looking R and was quietly existing without anyone knowing it's true provenance.

Then, in April 2021 there was a post on a FB Forum I am on which read:

Anyone interested in a 95R?
*Not a wrapper car*
Few small scratches and imperfections but looks great
20K Miles

Only mods:
Off-Road H-Pipe and Cat Back
H&R Springs
Standard Mustang Gas Tank

Early it was a track used car. Appears as if the hood and bumper were painted years ago, look great though.

There were a few comments from other posters and one person commented #139 was owned by Bill Miller, the son of Carlisle Productions. He knew the car because he owned #138 and they both came from the same dealer, Family Ford. Another svtperf member commented this could be the car that hit the deer at Summit Point. Then, the seller posted this image.

View attachment 1722210

Finally, the car has been found.

Tom

FYI, Tom. Dad ran a sub 13 on the 1/4 at a track in Alabama Summer of '98. I was with him and have it on video somewhere. The stock #142 car.

Congrats on the acquisition! Happy for you!

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Congrats, Tom. Nice story and good find. Your car was made directly after mine too!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Fantastic write up, can't wait to see what you do with it? Leave it "as found", convert back to "as raced", or a combination of the two. As for the aftermarket suspension pieces, quite a few of the "R" guys "back in the day", were using Kenny Brown sourced underpinnings and suspension parts, as was my #99. Rollbar, as a bolt in, most likely sourced from Autopower, would need to see pictures to check which one.

Again, great car, and find.

Bill S.
Bill,

Thank you! I'm torn on the livery. I plan on driving it on the street so not sure I want to go to that extent. And draw that much "attention". But I am drawn to the race car look.

I hadn't thought about KB but I will look into it. They are a hammer tone gray paint. The color reminds me of the Griggs components I used to run. I'll post pics once I get it home and on the lift.

I was also thinking Autopower on the rollbar. I had one of their units in my 95 vert and it was built well and fit like a glove. It also had the same 3-bolt pattern for the b-pillar bars so that is where I will start my search.

I appreciate the input and will report back.

Tom

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm really happy for you, Tom. What a great story, for sure. You're as happy as happy can be. Cool, too, that the seller let you "set up shop" in his garage to check it out and do some cleaning. Quite a find!

Users who are viewing this thread