13 year old girl charged with felony for pointing finger gun at school

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'd like to be notified in advance if I was on the list. Seems like a step backwards.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
the context of the situation is disturbing, but setting an example by charging a 13 year old with a felony seems very overboard. that's a child who doesn't necessarily know any better.

Voltwings

Established Member
The hard part is we've backed ourselves into a corner. When a school shooting happens we "didn't do what we could have to stop it," but then when something seemingly harmless (I don't know the full context, I use that phrase sparingly) like this happens, suddenly everyone is over reacting. Literally a lose, lose situation. Just kinda shitty all the way around, but I'm personally on the "this is nothing a stern talk couldn't have fixed" bandwagon.

I got in a fight in the 5th grade and said "I swear I'm going to kill you" because obviously I was worked up. Principle explained that was serious and sent me home for the day and that was that after speaking with my mother. To think lol, in this day in age I'd probably be a 5th grader in a holding cell.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
While I feel the felony charge is an overreaction, I also feel the title of the article is an oversimplification. It’s not like she just pointed a finger gun and everyone lost their mind. She was asked “If she could kill 5 kids at school, who would they be?” and she singled out specific kids with her finger gun.

Concerning? Yes.

Felonious? No.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Death penalty should be in play

I draw the line at kids. Mentally deficient adults are fair game though.

"According to the Kansas City Star, the girl was having a discussion with a classmate who asked if she could kill five people in the room, who would they be. The girl responded by allegedly making a finger gun and pointing it at four students and then pointing it at herself, the outlet reported."

The child asking such a question should be thoroughly evaluated and I'd be curious to know if anything was addressed.

"A spokesperson for the Johnson County District Attorney's Office said after reviewing the evidence the girl was charged with criminal threat, which is a felony offense."

A criminal threat? Society has turned into a giant mass of brainless goo. A criminal threat for "making a finger gun?" Needing to know absolutely nothing else, the Johnson County D.A. sounds like a jackass. Uh oh. Will that get me in trouble?

Users who are viewing this thread