13 heads on a 2010 block?

brandonflood123

Established Member
so my buddy impactblue(member here, for some reason he cant log in) bought a 5.4l short block with forged internals, he lost his original motor. today he noticed that there appears to be an additional coolant passage on the 5.8 heads that the 5.4l doesnt have. im kinda confused myself and i can upload the pic he texted me aswell if that will help. but just curious if anybody here knows if its possible to swap the 13 heads to the 5.4l block. and if so what did you have to do?

thanks in advance guys, sorry if thats confusing im confused myself.

Montana

Ford and Mopar Guy
Established Member
Did he not get an answer on Facebook from one of the builders? I was browsing this morning, but can't remember if it was answered. I think one of the builders was starting to chime in when I logged off.

Editd to add for the benefit of those without Facebook.......from one of the Niche line builders....

"There is an additional coolant passage added to the heads on the 13-14 engines to help cool the exhaust valve seat area for the additional cylinder pressure."

Last edited:

brandonflood123

Established Member
Did he not get an answer on Facebook from one of the builders? I was browsing this morning, but can't remember if it was answered. I think one of the builders was starting to chime in when I logged off.

Editd to add for the benefit of those without Facebook.......from one of the Niche line builders....

"There is an additional coolant passage added to the heads on the 13-14 engines to help cool the exhaust valve seat area for the additional cylinder pressure."

yeah, see i dont have facebook so i have no clue whats going on on there. i just know he texted me

Montana

Ford and Mopar Guy
Established Member
yeah, see i dont have facebook so i have no clue whats going on on there. i just know he texted me

That's why I made the edit to add what one of the builders had to say. Hopefully it benefits the forum. I honestly had no idea myself.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
I just read this same question in an ad taken out on the Wall Street Journal.

Seriously, I think this guy called every single person he knows to find this out.

I say just bolt it on and see what happens. LOL

brandonflood123

Established Member
I just read this same question in an ad taken out on the Wall Street Journal.

Seriously, I think this guy called every single person he knows to find this out.

I say just bolt it on and see what happens. LOL

yeah he made tons of posts on it. hes either just goint to run it, or hes going to have his block machined to where they can receive coolant.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Jesus Christ, n00bs, does nobody read anymore these days?

For the cooling system upgrades, SVT turned to computational fluid dynamics modeling. Perhaps the greatest need was to get coolant flow between the exhaust valve seats, a journey that begins in the block as the coolant flow is from the water pump through the block, up through the heads, and out to the radiator. Existing 5.4 coolant flow directed water up through the block's deck and nicely around the exhaust valves, but not between them. That's where the CFD came in especially useful, letting the SVT engineers establish the additional paths required to route coolant between the exhaust seats at the correct flow velocities and volumes. These additional coolant paths in the heads needed to be fed by new passages in the block's deck.

Furthermore, flowing water around the top of the cylinders meant another new set of passages was required between the cylinders. Luckily, the CFD showed the solution to both new cooling paths turned out to be small passages drilled in the block and heads. Because simple drilling operations gave the needed extra coolant flow, there was no need to make a casting change in either the block or heads, which is one reason why both the head and block castings are carryover 5.4 parts.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news/m5lp-1203-2013-ford-shelby-gt500-trinity-5-8l-v8/viewall.html

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the sounds of it, all he has to do to take advantage of the better cooling is to drill corresponding holes in the block. A 5.8 head gasket would be the easiest way to locate the hole positions.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
From the sounds of it, all he has to do to take advantage of the better cooling is to drill corresponding holes in the block. A 5.8 head gasket would be the easiest way to locate the hole positions.
Don't make too much sense :)
Unfortunately all the posts concerning this particular GT500 include finding the cheapest way to fix it. "Always money to fix it again, but never enough to fix it right first"
Hopefully that doesn't ring true here.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread