13" brakes and front runners

johnh

Established Member
Anyone running 13" cobra brakes and front runners? I heard the sn95 guys are adding a 1" spacer to clear but will they stick out to far on our cars?

TIA

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I've heard of guys just using the 17" spares on the front too.

got hp

SVT Connoisseur
Established Member
Bogart welds a spacer on thier wheels for the 13" Cobra brake guys. They will stick out a little but no big deal. You could do the same with just a spacer just be carefull with how much thread engagement there is on the lugnut.

johnh

Established Member
got hp said:
Bogart welds a spacer on thier wheels for the 13" Cobra brake guys. They will stick out a little but no big deal. You could do the same with just a spacer just be carefull with how much thread engagement there is on the lugnut.

I would have to run the hubcentric spacers like the sn95 guys but I was wondering how much they would stick out.
I'm thinking the stock wheels with a 6.0 b.s leaves 1.5 inset being moved inboard .75 with normal brakes. That's 2.25 of inset before it looks like crap. With front runners being 3.5 wide and 1.75 b.s. adding a 1" spacer makes it look .5 crappy.
I'm going to have to experiment on this one.

bonehead

F**k SRT10's
Established Member
i think weld (or whoever owns them now) makes a 17in skinny. you can also get a set of bogarts made, if money is not a problem.

racerbox77

Established Member
John your car looks like its launching perfectly in your sig. Whats your suspension set up? My car is mostly stock with a blower and 10psi and it puts down about same times but my 60fts are crap (1.73). Have you ever dynoed your car? Also how much boost?

johnh

Established Member
racerbox77 said:
John your car looks like its launching perfectly in your sig. Whats your suspension set up? My car is mostly stock with a blower and 10psi and it puts down about same times but my 60fts are crap (1.73). Have you ever dynoed your car? Also how much boost?

It's all solid UPR with thier anti roll bar. It was too violent to run anything else off the two step. The car is alot faster but I baby the stock t-5. I have a c-4 now so I'm hoping for low 10's..

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
I installed the Baer 13" kit today and it comes with a spacer that clears the welds fine. It sticks a little more than before but not too bad.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Big Ben said:
I installed the Baer 13" kit today and it comes with a spacer that clears the welds fine. It sticks a little more than before but not too bad.

Have you tested the brakes out yet? What do you think?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I run the Baer brakes (5-lug, love them) with the Bogarts made for Cobra brakes. They do stick out 0.5" or so, but thats what you have to do and its OK at the track.
If you are doing A-arms, several companies have 1" shorter A-arms that will eliminate this. My car is getting these now. Shorter A-arms allow you to tuck the wheels at the track and keep the factory wheels with a spacer on the street.
-J

johnh

Established Member
biminiLX said:
I run the Baer brakes (5-lug, love them) with the Bogarts made for Cobra brakes. They do stick out 0.5" or so, but thats what you have to do and its OK at the track.
If you are doing A-arms, several companies have 1" shorter A-arms that will eliminate this. My car is getting these now. Shorter A-arms allow you to tuck the wheels at the track and keep the factory wheels with a spacer on the street.
-J

what companies? I'm having control arm problems and need new ones.

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
LEE93COBRA said:
Have you tested the brakes out yet? What do you think?

Well I am following the Baer recommended break in right now. They said to do 400 miles of normal stop and go with no more than 40% effort, then go with the setting process (increased stops with cooling intervals until you get to 90%).

I got the cross drilled slotted zinc washed rotors and polished calipers and they look TIGHT behind my stock wheels!!!!

I will say that I stop now at 20% effort what used to be 80%. Can't wait to be able to jam them on a roadcourse!

Curious about the A-arms too! I eventually want to run the 18x9.5 2000 Cobra R rims that they make in 4 lug (for roadcourse, etc) and I think these A arms will be the only way I can do that.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Most of the big name companies do them if asked; mine are PA performance, Racecraft and AJE also.
It is a good option, especially for a drag car.
-J

johnh

Established Member
biminiLX said:
Most of the big name companies do them if asked; mine are PA performance, Racecraft and AJE also.
It is a good option, especially for a drag car.
-J

Thanks for the info and of course I'm running a QA1 k-member. I would hate to mismatch parts but it's a good option to have..

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Big Ben said:
I will say that I stop now at 20% effort what used to be 80%. Can't wait to be able to jam them on a roadcourse!

I knew you would like them. Its night and day difference between stock brakes and the 13 inchers

03cobraracer

Established Member
i was wondering about drag wheels also for my car, i dont have a cobra but i have a 93 notchback that is 5 lug and the the 12' brakes up front with the 4 piston baer calipers. i have 18' y2k cobra wheels on there now but wanted a skinny for the track.. i wanna run prostars but im not sure if the 15in wheel would fit

racerbox77

Established Member
Anyone using an aftermarket proportioning valve? I did the 04' Cobra brake upgrade and when I jab the brakes the fronts seem to lock up kind of easily. I was told I wouldnt need an aftermarket valve but Im thinking that was wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread