'13-14 GT500 for daily driver?

slingshot

Established Member
Just checking for advice from the guys that own and drive them. Am considering a '13-14 GT500 for daily driver. I have a 10 minute drive to work each day and have to make a 250 mile round trip for work once a week--Interstate with moderate traffic, lot of oilfield traffic so road is not exactly smooth.
What say you? GT500 or something a little more comfortable?

steeltoe

Established Member
Sitting in traffic sucks. I daily'd mine when I had it and getting stuck in traffic with that clutch is horrible.

99SSls1

Established Member
Stock seats are comfortable. Don't change the exhaust or the suspension and I would. I did the power tour with those stock and it was awesome.

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
A rough road is going to beat you to death. Change tires if you plan on temps below 55 degrees or driving in the rain. Get gravel guards for the front wheels. Think about getting a clear bra to protect the paint.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It's comfortable enough for a DD but as mentioned there are some downsides.
I prefer to keep mine a pleasure car and like to mod, plus would worry about the west/tear a true DD gets, so it couldn't be a DD to me.
I will say SGM color does hide dirt well if you get one.
New GT with IRS probably be a better DD.
-J

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
I wish I could DD mine but instead I put 35k+ per yr on company vehicles. Ran into a dude a few weeks ago who just hit 80k on the clock on his 13 and he was proud of it! Car still looked good too.... good luck

rdsnk46

Established Member
I bought mine used with 19k miles fully loaded in Texas. I drove it 1300 miles back to Florida in 48 hours with the Recaro seat and loved it!!!! Stock mufflers and proper tires for your conditions are a must as stated prior. I have two other mustangs, a truck and a motorcycle but I drive my GT500 3-4 days a week after work and always on the weekends. These cars are meant to be driven.....

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
11,000mi and counting, daily driven, heart stopping, 800 +++ beast and enjoying every single day I am behind the wheel. Go for it, but get the Recaro's, some MPSS and a clear bra.

Manuel

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I DD my 13 and wouldn't have it any other way. I actually feel my Shelby is more comfortable than my wife's SUV, only down side of DD the Shelby is gas mileage.

slingshot

Established Member
Good thing about all my driving is no bumper to bumper stuff unless I have to go to the DFW Metromess... I drive from Abilene west to Big Spring weekly so no stop and go. No traffic to speak of here in Abilene.
I DD my King Ranch now and have put 35K miles on it in a little less than 2 years. If we do have to travel as a family or go to Dallas/Ft Worth/etc we take the wife's '13 Audi Q7 TDI. Before the KR I daily drove an '08 Z06--just curious how the Shelby would compare to that? BTW--1st thing I would change on the Shelby would be the tires and a 13/6 kit... pretty much otherwise leave it alone. At 75-80 mph cruise what MPG could I expect?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
Good thing about all my driving is no bumper to bumper stuff unless I have to go to the DFW Metromess... I drive from Abilene west to Big Spring weekly so no stop and go. No traffic to speak of here in Abilene.
I DD my King Ranch now and have put 35K miles on it in a little less than 2 years. If we do have to travel as a family or go to Dallas/Ft Worth/etc we take the wife's '13 Audi Q7 TDI. Before the KR I daily drove an '08 Z06--just curious how the Shelby would compare to that? BTW--1st thing I would change on the Shelby would be the tires and a 13/6 kit... pretty much otherwise leave it alone. At 75-80 mph cruise what MPG could I expect?

About 19 mpg

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

Sounds like you'll be just fine. It will easily be more comfortable than the vette. Get the Recaro seats, they are more comfortable than the base version, in my opinion. If you're accustomed to driving a truck, the Shelby milage won't cause you to blink an eye. At 80mph in 6th you're doing something stupid like 1300 rpm. lol

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I have a 76 mile round trip to work and I DD mine all year long including winter (dedicated snow tires). I get between 18-19MPG on the highway if I lay off the gas and just set cruise control.

The car is fine even on less than perfect roads. The GT500 is my DD and for over an inch of snow I have an F150 which I hardly ever drive...........Steve

Last edited:

slingshot

Established Member
Great. Thanks for the info guys--will prob start looking in earnest in the spring, need to pay off some debt 1st then buy a clean '13-14 with SVT Performance Pack and Recaros. Preferably White/Blue stripes.

slingshot

Established Member
Get a Raptor for the DD
Raptors are nice--my brother has one... but honestly, I like my King Ranch 4x4 Ecoboost with the Off-Road package, chrome package, luxury package and monochromatic pearl white color scheme better. With a SSI tune it will outrun and out pull it, gets better mileage (though both suck) and I really like the tan/brown KR interior better. I put a 2.5" front leveling kit and Roadmaster Active Suspension kit on the rear and love the truck. I will be keeping it too...

Colleton

Established Member
I drove my '14 to and from work ~ 2 days a week. The tires are wonderful in the summer, but absolutely suck in the winter. Suck, as in, could easily result in total loss of vehicle control without any warning. A rough road equals a rough ride, the suspension is pretty stiff.

If you're going to try and DD it, get the Jaeger Bros. splash guards for the front wheels along with a full set of Roush side splitters (side and rear). This should keep rock chips on the rocker panels and rear quarter panels to a minimum.

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
Fuel mileage is better then pick-ups from a few years ago and is on par with the latest models, in all honesty it isn't much different then a Mustang GT or most other of the V8 pony cars on the market. In stock form while it has its nuances, it is definitely more liveable then quite a few modified vehicles such as slammed almost to the ground cars with "back breaker" suspensions or vehicles with cams so lumpy they barely idle.

Users who are viewing this thread