12v Switched Power!?

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
12v cig lighter turn on/off with car: Has anyone gotten this to work?
I'm trying to figure out how to do this.....more importantly "Where" to do this.

The center wire on the Cig lighter is the one that needs to go to a switched connection.....just not sure where the closest/easiest switched wire is that I can tap into.

Talking about the one in the armrest console...not center of upper dash.

*NOTE: Posted this in the "interior mods" forum but doesn't look like anyone goes in there too much.

Chuck@Evolution

Established Member
What are you trying to power? There may be another way to go about doing what you need to.

If you need to have the 12v power port in the center console be switched 12v, then get a relay, I would use a DEI 8616 relay, available for about 10 bucks or so from your local car audio retailer.

Cut the colored wire going to the 12v port about 4-5 inches back from the connector (there are 2 wires, one black which is ground, and the other colored (green i think) going to the port)

Connect the yellow wire of the relay to the vehicle side of the colored wire going to the 12v port

Connect the black wire of the relay to the black wire going to the port (do not cut the wire to the port, just splice it in)

Cut short and insulate the orange wire of the relay.

Take the red wire from the relay and run it to the ignition harness, splicing it into either the gray/purple wire (ignition) or the purple/green (accessory) wire of the ignition harness. Make sure you use a volt meter to verify that you have the correct wire. The ignition wire will show voltage when the key is in the on/run and start position. The acc wire will show voltage while the key is in the acc and on/run position, but not in the start position.

This way you dont have to tap into a fused source and run the risk of popping a fuse.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
12v cig lighter turn on/off with car: Has anyone gotten this to work?
I'm trying to figure out how to do this.....more importantly "Where" to do this.

The center wire on the Cig lighter is the one that needs to go to a switched connection.....just not sure where the closest/easiest switched wire is that I can tap into.

Talking about the one in the armrest console...not center of upper dash.

*NOTE: Posted this in the "interior mods" forum but doesn't look like anyone goes in there too much.

theres a connector under the console where you lift out the shifter bezel that is probably unused. One of those circuits is switched 12VDC.

SicShelby09

Banned
theres a connector under the console where you lift out the shifter bezel that is probably unused. One of those circuits is switched 12VDC.

Yeah that one is for the power top, that the coupes obviously dont have so you can use that one.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Yeah that one is for the power top, that the coupes obviously dont have so you can use that one.

Hmm, i thought it was for those lights or whatever. But anywho, he'll have to figure out the power and ground. I'm sure if he knows how to use a volt meter it shouldnt be too hard. There are 4 wires in the mix if i'm not mistaken.

SicShelby09

Banned
Hmm, i thought it was for those lights or whatever. But anywho, he'll have to figure out the power and ground. I'm sure if he knows how to use a volt meter it shouldnt be too hard. There are 4 wires in the mix if i'm not mistaken.

You are probably right about that harness, but there should be one under the console too for the power convertible top that is just laying there. Coupe mustangs have had them there for years.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Anybody know where the fuse is for the convertable top 12v switched power. I was running my wideband off it and it shorted somehow. Now I cant find where the fuse is located for it.

Nick

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Anybody know where the fuse is for the convertable top 12v switched power. I was running my wideband off it and it shorted somehow. Now I cant find where the fuse is located for it.

Nick

Might want to check the owner's manual.

Users who are viewing this thread