100th time, what clutch?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
These cars are a strong engine and good heads, but the rest of the car is a Lego game. Have to change a lot of parts to reliably manage the easy power.

Don't be terribly surprised if after the current weak link is fixed that you experience the next weak link. The allure of bolt on power with these cars leads down a rabbit whole pretty quickly.

bigwave

Established Member
"The allure of bolt on power with these cars leads down a rabbit whole pretty quickly."
BINGO... CLARK! Too funny, I love the old rabbit hole analogy! I keep telling my son this exact statement, his attitude is "dad with your money and my ideas....." Only problem is dad doesn't have unlimited funds! I keep telling myself this is it, no more, then a few more things pop up and here we go again.

bigwave

Established Member
So, all this being said and using the McLead RST, can anyone tell me how to adjust the pivot ball for the clutch fork so I don't have to take it all back down??

cj428mach

Established Member
Search TRBO_VNM he has posted several times on what the pivot ball length needs to be. I'd just follow his suggestion as he's installed lots of McLeods.

bigwave

Established Member
Will do, thanks. I did just hang up the phone with a McLeod Tech and he explained everything to me about the pivot ball; I understand what it does, just didn't have a perfect picture in my head of where it should be. He also said out of ten cars with a T56 eight may be fine but the other two must be adjusted or you'll have issues forever or until you ruin it.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I must have been the 2 out of 10 that had mayor issues with that pivot ball, I chewed up 2 TOB within the first year my RXT was installed.

I finally had the tranny redone this past winter and bought everything all over again, this time i included the McLeod pivot ball. So far i have 800+ miles and it seems to be alright except for the chatter i get at times.

bigwave

Established Member
I ordered the adjustable pivot ball and spoke at length with a tech at McLeod on how to adjust the pivot ball. I also purchased a "ford racing" TOB on advice from a few people who said they hold up well. I think the adj pivot ball is the last part I'm waiting on.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
That's the mistake i made, i bought the McLeod TOB instead of the FORD, as of now its not making any chirping noise but i can already feel a bit of roughness (gritty) when i depress the clutch pedal.

bigwave

Established Member
What am I missing?

I actually bought the "ford racing" TOB and Idler bearing, not planning on changing the clutch fork, or any of the bolts on the flywheel, clutch etc. I've not read anything bad about reusing them. Purchased a new OEM flywheel from McLeod, apparently they designed and made the original for Ford. Just so happens they had some brand new unused ones on Ebay for $150 bocks.

I'm changing: TOB, Idler bearing, Flywheel (stock aluminum), Mcleod RST clutch, Adj pivot ball (if needed), TOB Tempered steel TOB tube sleeve, New AMP 26 spline input shaft, pack of shims (if needed)

Already installed new: OEM Ford Clutch cable, UPR Firewall adjuster & Tripple hook clutch quadrant.

jblood37

Established Member
I honestly would have bypassed the RST man. They are not rated for hard launches at the strip, etc. The RXT feels fantastic in the street also. Slips like regular clutch and everything. As far as the pivot ball I think everyone's install will be different for some reason. I followed instructions to the t for pivot ball height and still had the drop tranny again to readjust.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread