100 in a 55

rob_03cobra

Established Member
Well I got pulled over and cited by an officer who said I was going at least 100 in a 55 zone. I asked if he got me with the radar and said no. I was speeding but I was going 80-85 in the 65 zone. On the ticket it states that he didnt have a radar. His excuse for citing me was he going 125 and it took him a mile to catch me. Is there anyway I can fight this ticket to at least get it dropped to speeding(infraction) instead of reckless driving (misdemeanor). BTW this is in central cali.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
You can always fight a ticket but Good Luck winning. And stop going 20 over the speed limit.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
rob_03cobra said:
Well I got pulled over and cited by an officer who said I was going at least 100 in a 55 zone. I asked if he got me with the radar and said no. I was speeding but I was going 80-85 in the 65 zone. On the ticket it states that he didnt have a radar. His excuse for citing me was he going 125 and it took him a mile to catch me. Is there anyway I can fight this ticket to at least get it dropped to speeding(infraction) instead of reckless driving (misdemeanor). BTW this is in central cali.

Sure, go to court and tell the judge "yes I was speeding, but I was only doing 85 in a 65". The judge will hear your evidence and that of the officer and then he will rule.

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
With a ticket like that, always fight it you have more to gain than to lose. Find a good attorney. If the officers shows up (which he likely will) chances are the infraction may be lowered and you will be found guilty. The attorney will likely be able to convince the judge to allow you to keep your license. Your speed is pretty excessive, if it would be 10-15 over I have seen a judge (in IA & IL) allow one of the defendents (cough my cousin cough) to take a class and the infraction won't show up on his record.

Keep in mind the cost of the ticket is minimal compared to the increase in the cost of insurance. Fighting it may save you hundreds of dollars per year in premiums.

However if the officer doesn't appear (as is what happened to my cousin when he got pulled over for 111 in a 55, he was VERY lucky) you will still likely have to pay the fine but you might not get convicted.

bolinger06

Established Member
I live in a small county in indiana and one night around midnight my brother was on his way home from my dad and was doing well over a 100 then let off and cruised back down to around 70-75 and then his radar went off. He looked around and didn't see ne cops so just hammered up to like 120 then when he got close to town he slowed down and drove normal. well about 4 miles later he got pulled over and the cop said he clocked him at 75 and asked him why it took him 4 miles to catch him and he just said i donno and the cop wrote him a ticket for 75. This was in a small country town though so it is probably a little different scenario.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
rob_03cobra said:

You first stated the officer cited you for 100 in a 55 zone, however you also mention a 65 zone, which is it? One would be a surface street the other a freeway, most likely 99. What what was the section he cited you for?

Users who are viewing this thread