100% completely seperated Achilles tendon

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
:whine:

Hey all, just curious if anyone gone through the healing process for a complete Achilles tendon seperation.

I seperated mine on Aug 1st while attempting to stiffle the mouth of a 17 year old girl on the tennis court (I was winning when I heard the big SNAP)

Sounded like a gun shot, hurt like hell too...

I walked on it all week, walked my daughter down the isle on Sat the 7th, drank and danced at the wedding all night long (not knowing I had a complete seperation) I had myself convinced it was a torn muscle or something...not so much a good idea.

Flew back home from Seattle on the 8th, and had surgery last Monday. There was a 2 inch gap between the two ends, so he has sewn it back together.

Today it has been one week, and I am hearing 4-6 weeks in the cast then a walking boot with therapy...

Question is, anyone else gone through this and have any lessons learned to share?

Thanks,

Ken

:beer::beer:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Ouch man, that sounds like it sucks pretty bad. Haven't had that injury (thank god), but I did break my collar bone into 3 pieces a while back. Ask Dale about it, I hear it was pretty entertaining to watch...:poke:.

Anyway, my advice to you is take it easy. I tried to rush things after my injury and only made things worse for myself. In fact, my shoulder still wakes me up at night from time to time, and I can feel it "pop" back into place occasionally. I wasn't diagnosed with a dislocated shoulder, but, it's apparently common to have after a collar bone break.

That's it though, sorry to hear about your tendon...just relax and let it heal.

TDoh

Torquey Pig
Established Member
I don't know much about that injury myself Ken, but I heard that it TOTALLY debilitated some guy in Greek mythology...

Anyway, it surprises me that you were able to get around on it for so long after the injury. I'm thinking you must have a pretty high threshold for pain? That's GOTTA hurt! My only advice would be, remember that everything heals slower at our age...it will probably FEEL better before it IS better.

Oh, and avoid doing this: :dancenana:

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Thanks guys, yeah I am going to take it real easy so it will heal fine..

My cast is in a naturally pointing down angle..so my foot is heavy and it is the surgeons fault...honestly Occifer :banana::banana:

I am sureit will feel fine way before I can or shold do stuff on it, and that will be the toughest part especially after a few :beer::beer:

Glad to hear no one else has done this, DON'T do it..no fun at all I tell ya

Ken

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Some guy at my work (in his 50's probably) tore his playing bball and he was out of work for a few weeks, then had crutches for a while, then a walking cast for a while. He was hurting for a long time, but he's back to normal now I think. The fact that you actually walked on it is utterly amazing, I couldn't imagine that. Wasn't your foot just flopping around? Did you wonder why you couldn't stand on your toes?

Get well soon buddy. Then I can own you on the tennis court when you're all better. :beer:

I don't know much about that injury myself Ken, but I heard that it TOTALLY debilitated some guy in Greek mythology...

Debilitated? He died. :poke:

clean93

Established Member
i had that happen to my right knee in 6th grade playing soccor had a bad fall didnt hear a snap but i couldnt walk and was in tremendous pain. had many painful spasms while waiting for the ambulance until i was in the hospital (dislocated my knee also). was in a cast for 3.5 weeks and had to do physical therapy after cast came off. got my strength back in my leg about a month later.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Poor Ken. Gets driven around, has his meals brought to him, his pillows fluffed, his peecup emptied and his johnson rubbed out.
You sure you didn't do this on purpose?

J/K, it was great to see you at the track on Sat. But why didn't you want to take my car around for a lap?

kens03cobra

COILED
Established Member
Thanks all..

NO DALE, no tennis for me. Tell ya what, come on out to Summit Point and take it out on me there:rolling: Nov 6-7 should be the comeback for both me and the new Turbo FOCI:dw::dw:

I don't recall you asking Greg, I would have had one busy left foot eh?

Ken

951MystiCobra

Cobraless and Lurking.
Established Member

Best thing I've heard all day.

Ken - good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery. I'm also amazed that you were able to walk (and dance) on it for a week... *insert Chuck Norris joke* :p

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Hope you feel better soon!

Personally I would have hoped Stiffie to the mouth of a 17yr old girl would have yielded positive results.

:lol:

SVTORANGE

Established Member
Man that stinks Ken I am sure your going nuts being home.

I hope it heals well so you can get back on the track.

Users who are viewing this thread