• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

10 Things Christians and Atheist Can (And Must) Agree On

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Slow04Cobra, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Slow04Cobra

Slow04Cobra ROLL TIDE Established Member

Almost every day, this place descends into an all out holy war pitting the Christians against the Atheists. I think we should seek a little common ground in an effort to sidestep this problem in the future.

Here is a great article that is extremely relevant to our little sub-forum. It's a longer read than most usually link to, but read it you crying little girl; you're not a pimpled face high school kid trying to get through the next chapter of "Lord of the Flies" hoping that there will be some boobies.

Read here 10 Things Christians and Atheists Can (And Must) Agree On | Cracked.com then let's discuss...or hug and get along:pepper:

Inevitably, some douche will ask for cliffs so here is the 6th grade outline:

1. You Can Do Terrible Things in the Name of Either One

2. Both Sides Really Do Believe What They're Saying

3. In Everyday Life, You're Not That Different

4. There Are Good People on Both Sides

5. Your Point of View is Legitimately Offensive to Them

6. We Tend to Exaggerate About the Other Guy

7. We Tend to Exaggerate About Ourselves, Too

8. Focusing on Negative Examples Makes You Stupid

9. Both Sides Have Brought Good to the Table

10. You'll Never Harass the Other Side Out of Existence

Now, if you have digested the article, watch this video before posting:

[youtube_browser]epUk3T2Kfno[/youtube_browser]

2. DaleM

DaleM T$45GOATMAGAMen Established Member

Stupid X-ians, gawds are for kids. LOL!

While it is hard enough to lump all X-ians together. It is even harder to do it for the atheist. We have no collective group think.

Simple things like this cause problems in a significant portion of the believers:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101227/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_ancient_teeth

I have to say it is not X-ians in general I disagree with but all believers of the thousands of other gawds, past and present.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2010
  3. juzlookzfazt

juzlookzfazt New Member Established Member

I'm no Christian, but identify somewhat with them, and I'm definitely not an atheist, but you know what ..in the end..#9 is the one that matters to me most. To some ..its not enough and they want it all. Something about them being 100% right and the other guy 100% wrong makes them feel good apparently [unrelated]. These kind of people make me laugh because all they can and want to do is disprove or criticize.

4. Smileyboy

Smileyboy 2V guy Established Member

[youtube_browser]W5FfJ89rGPc[/youtube_browser]

5. Thursday

Thursday Tu ne cede malis Established Member

Dale,

You've finally put on your thinking. I can agree with you for once. Now keep it on.

6. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

Its hard to find any common ground when faith collides with wordly logic and reasoning that dismisses Jesus' existence as a fairy tale. Biblically based views oppose worldly views. Its just the way it is. I don't think its an every day affair of Christians vs. Athiests on this site. But there is a very big difference as to how the two groups see life and what the solutions are for this country and problems of the world. The Christian mindset is we are passing through this rock and this isn't our permanent home and its going to be all wrapped up soon. The athiest/agnostic/faithless mindset is we can do it all, we can fix these problems, we are going to be around forever. I think its a healthy disagreement though. It shows just how radically things differ in each camp. But we do have plenty of Christians who think like faithless people, so many go to the other side and don't even realize it when times get tough and they don't see God as their source for everything in this life. I mean you can see this just by how so many Christians speak dount and unbelief. You are what you are. You can't serve two masters. And you can't expect Christians to put the Creator in the backseat to appease people. I know some do but that's compromise. And an unnecesary one. Seems many haven't learned from the mistakes of the Jews in the OT. With the troubling times we are in, its even more of a reason to bring to the attention of so amny that they are looking at all thw rong places for their answers. Everything that is going wrong in America and on this planet is all man-made. God hasn't had a hand in all these things. So for people to say, "Come follow this new man, he's the answer to our problems" well that's just more of the same.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  7. DaleM

I think for once your understanding light came on. I like you better the way you normally are, stupid.

I am sure you meant, "thinking cap".

8. DaleM

How is Billy Graham doing btw? If this were 2,000 years ago he'd be resurrected to explain why he is alive after being pronounced dead.

9. DaleM

1. I am not sure anyone has done anything terrible in the name of atheism as close as anything done by the faithful.

2. Do you think she really believes what she says?
    Texas Pastor Says She's No Thief - FoxNews.com

10. DEAD EYE

DEAD EYE You must defeat Shenglong Established Member

Let me first say that Christians are no more moral than atheists are. I'm saying this because I know that someone will reply in a way that implies that I am saying that Christians are more moral. That is incorrect.

Humanists often argue that there have been terrible atrocities committed in the name of God and religion and they are right about that. However, such acts are the illogical outworking of Christianity. They are not condoned by Christ, who commands us to love our enemies. Atrocities committed in the name of atheism are the logical outworking of atheism. Not because of atheism (in the semantical sense of the word) but rather the lack of any binding moral obligations. While the atheist may practice good morals, he doesn't find them obligatory. In other words, if there is no God for whom to demonstrate our love, no objective standard of right and wrong, no ultimate judgement, then why not have sex and kill the unborn baby or leave the mother? I'm not saying that he will do that because he's an atheist but rather, under the atheistic view, there is ultimately nothing wrong with it. All it causes is discomfort, for when you consider that natural humanists believe that we are animals, discomfort or even pain ultimately is just part of the circle of life. For example, an animal can't murder but it kills all the time and is guilty of no moral code. Since we are just animals then it follows that we also have no moral obligations. Therefore, morals are just a survival mechanism. Survival says to look out for #1. So when we have a conflict of morals and self interests, there is nothing wrong with choosing self.

The Chinese government has killed 60 million of its own people since 1949. If it was a nation that followed Christian values then it would not do that. Due to its lack of Christian values, it in fact has done that.

1. You Can Do Terrible Things in the Name of Either One

Agreed, however it would be the illogical outworking of Christianity. If The bible says don't do 'A' and the person does 'A' in the name of Christianity, is he really a Christian? The thought would be just as illogical as an atheist doing something in the name of his belief in God.

2. Both Sides Really Do Believe What They're Saying

Agreed. However in my recent debates, I've found that those beliefs can often exist despite plausable evidence to the contrary. As a result, the beliefs actually become stubborn for the sport of being stubborn.

3. In Everyday Life, You're Not That Different

Agreed.

4. There Are Good People on Both Sides

Agreed (kind of). Though on the Christian viewpoint, there are no good people. We have good moments but WE are not good.

5. Your Point of View is Legitimately Offensive to Them

Agreed. Ultimately it comes down to the fact that no person is an island unto himself. We all have an effect on one another.

6. We Tend to Exaggerate About the Other Guy

Agreed. This is mostly because we all judge other groups by their worst examples which is wrong.

7. We Tend to Exaggerate About Ourselves, Too

Agreed. Though again, this is an illogical outworking of Christianity since we ought not lie and decieve.

8. Focusing on Negative Examples Makes You Stupid

Agreed. Anyone who harbors hatred within themselves for something they don't understand is just stupid.

9. Both Sides Have Brought Good to the Table

Agreed.

10. You'll Never Harass the Other Side Out of Existence

Agreed, although some do change teams sometimes. (on both sides)

Again, Christians are no more moral than atheists are. I'm saying this again because I know that someone will reply in a way that implies that I am saying that Christians are more moral. That is incorrect.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  11. DaleM

Remember all that BS when you here a phrase borrowed by the muslims after defeating the christians in the name of the gawd. Enshallah was taken from the crusaders phrase, pope urban if I recall, "God Wills It!"

More than 90% of the world is full of believers of some sort. The odds do not favor your logic. Also show me an atheist flag that was used to conquer others in the name of atheism, not communism. Some often make the mistake that communism and atheism are synonymous. Many commies are/were gawd fearing peoples, more so than the elite that ruled.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  12. 03_SVT_Freak

03_SVT_Freak Stirring the pot :D Established Member

i believe in god, but not religion. not really in the mood to explain further, and i dont hate people who are atheist, nor do i judge them or think them stupid. i dont think them misguided. they are just people who have made a choice in life and thats fine with me. i just dont care honestly and im not looking for anyones approval, nor am i looking to change anyones mind into believing or not. i have my relationship with god and thats enough for me. dont like it? to ****ing bad!

13. Slow04Cobra

Slow04Cobra ROLL TIDE Established Member

DaleM came in the thread doing exactly what the article talked lamented. Is that ironic or sad?

14. 01cobravortech

01cobravortech Banned

That's his signature move though. He gets a kick out of bomb throwing.

15. 03DOHC

03DOHC Moderator Established Member

There is so much that is wrong with that statement, and the rest of the scattered logic, that it is blatantly obvious you have no idea what you are talking about and just making it up. Or maybe you really do think that's what us unbelievers think? It really isn't that difficult to understand. Hell, some really smart old dead guys wrote about it a little over 200 years ago and you still can't see it for whatever reason. Astonishing.

16. DaleM

Maybe both. It is ironic that someone thinks we can find common ground concerning the superstitious an supernatural when there really isn't much. Sad that reality is a mother ****er. But the religious won't let reality get in the way of a good story.

17. DaleM

Go jump on the admin, you coward.

18. moddestmike

moddestmike 2 Degrees/Still Confused Established Member

The Chinese killed because of politics not religion. And if we were to say it was because of religion, the majority of killers would have been Buddhist.

Never heard of an Atheist movement committing anything remotely this size. Not even .0001%.

19. DaleM

I never heard of an atheist movement! Not that there isn't one, I just didn't get the atheist movement invite. Maybe I am a bad atheist?

20. moddestmike

moddestmike 2 Degrees/Still Confused Established Member

Neither have I but I wont rule it out for the sake of argument.