10 spline input shaft?

b_dike

Established Member
I was wondering how much power can the stock 10 spline input shaft handle safely? I know alot depends on driving style, but is there a actual threshold for them? The reason I'm asking is because I'll be replacing my stock clutch after 85k miles, and I'm 99% sure I'm going to splurge on an rxt. Which eats up most of my budget for this project. So if I could save a few hundred and keep the stocker without worry that'd be great. Or am I being ridiculous going all out on the clutch and not upgrading to a 26 spline unit.

My car is a weekend cruiser, not a track car, nor is it a dd. I don't beat on this car nearly enough. Lol. Also I don't plan on anything more than a ported eaton in the future.

Your thoughts and experiences appreciated

JuStAkId

Just roll with it
Established Member
Your being ridiculous going all out on the clutch and not upgrading to a 26 spline unit lol

You will already have the trans out. Save up the extra money and go ahead and get the 26 spline

And like you said 90% of it depends on your driving habits

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/614115-10-spline-vs-26-spline-opinions.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/878518-10-spline-input-shaft-vs-26-spline.html
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...better-twin-disc-than-single-disc-clutch.html
www.svtperformance.com/forums/driveline-216/810854-what-most-hp-i-can-put-my-10-spline.html

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
HP wont break the input shaft. Its the "hit" that breaks them and hard launches that break them. Upgrade to a 26 spline and have piece of mind!

b_dike

Established Member

Thanks for the links, I shouldve searched before asking I know. Lol... but then again I've not noticed much if any topics regarding snapped 10 splines in a long time.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
That's always a tough call. My TOB is going out so I'm putting in a new OEM clutch and not worrying about the input shaft this time around. You're probably at a little more power than me but not enough where I'd be concerned. I couldn't justify the 26 spline when guys are running stock clutch with Whipples. Let me know if you need a hand with the swap too!

Jensanity

Established Member
Ported and pullied(upper and lower here)...just had the tranny out for a clutch swap...10spline is fine!!! 26 spline is better, but I don't see the point in upgrading to it if you aren't doing hard launches with a TS at the track. Just my opinion.

JrSVT

Established Member
I've heard of them breaking with ~450rwhp....yes it was at the track and being abused like a red-headed step child but it happens. If you aren't beating the hell out of the car the stock 10 spline will work fine. I know of a guy that had a KB 2.2 and the stock 10 spline for years. He eventually went auto and hasn't looked back.

Jr.

b_dike

Established Member
That's always a tough call. My TOB is going out so I'm putting in a new OEM clutch and not worrying about the input shaft this time around. You're probably at a little more power than me but not enough where I'd be concerned. I couldn't justify the 26 spline when guys are running stock clutch with Whipples. Let me know if you need a hand with the swap too!

Thanks bud, hopefully I'll be able to hire Malcolm to do it for me...:beer:

TRBO VNM

Why are you going to the RXT then? If you have enough power to justify the RXT, then you should have enough power to justify the 26 spline.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks bud, hopefully I'll be able to hire Malcolm to do it for me...:beer:

Haha that's exactly what I'm doing. Should be getting sub frames on next weekend so after that we should be in business

b_dike

Established Member
Why are you going to the RXT then? If you have enough power to justify the RXT, then you should have enough power to justify the 26 spline.

You are absolutely right, I shouldn't even be considering keeping stocker. I think I new the right ansewer to begin with. I just thought that maybe there'd be some hard facts or testimony justifing a decision to keep the 10. I decided on the rxt because I wanted the best for my cobra, so why wouldn't upgrade the input shaft. Lol. Sometimes I make these decisions harder than they should be, but you know how it is when your working with a tight budget. Besides after this round of mods I wont be doing anymore till next year. One project with a budget a year keeps the wife happy... well kinda...

thanks for your input guys, still I like to hear about some more cars still running a 10 spline. Especially if they're using a twin disc.

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
My last whipple cobra had a 10 spline, made 640ish and made plenty of 1.6 60s. Never had an issue

b_dike

Established Member
My last whipple cobra had a 10 spline, made 640ish and made plenty of 1.6 60s. Never had an issue

What type of clutch were you running? Some have made the argument that a twin disc holds better, transfering more stress to the input shaft.

Users who are viewing this thread