10% IW Overdrive. What mods need to be done to Timing Cover?

HandsomeRob

Established Member
I'm powder coating my timing cover and I want to know what mods need to be done to my 97 timing cover before hand. I have a 10% Overdrive IW Crank pulley. I was told to grind down the timing marks all the way and the small raised part before the crank sensor boss. Is that true?

d3b6b822.jpg

01yellercobra

Established Member
For my 12% overdrive I just ground the timing mark down. I didn't have to touch the part for the crank sensor.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
I bought a 10% overdrive from a member here and i think it's actually a 6% overdrive after talking with IW. It's approximately 7 inches in diameter...anyways i have a 99 timing cover on my 2v and i ground down the crank sensor boss slightly and that's it. The pulley was not close enough to the raised timing marks to worry about it. If I had a 10% which should be closer to 7.25 inches I would have had to grind the timing marks.

Also, check the clearance on the pulley. Mine had .001 clearance to the crank snout and we couldn't get the pulley on all the way. We pulled it off and had it honed for a bit more clearance. Also, don't forget to use anti seize on the crank and the hub of the pulley when installing...makes it go on much easier!

JP_Stang

Established Member
I have the 10% on my car (96 Cobra) and I had to grind down crank sensor boss quite a bit. I also had to grind down a small part of the tips of the timing marks. If you go to IW's website you can print out the install directions. Just click on the balancer you have and you will see it. They tell you exactly how far into the boss you will need to grind and if you will need to grind any of the timing marks. I believe it was something like 3 7/8" or 3 15/16" from the center of the balancer over to the crank sensor boss. You shouldn't have to grind anymore than the small raised part you were referring to, iirc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread