10.5 wheel on 03

FlawlezSS

Established Member
Everywhere I looked I have been told you cant put a 10.5 wheel on an 03 cobra with IRS please tell me this is NOT true???

Cobra-21

I feel the need...
Established Member
It CAN be done, but...

Hundreds have done it, you just need to check your inner clearances. That is, between the inside of the tire and the inner frame, particularly the rear IRS subframe bolt that protrudes out toward the tire. Be aware that the clearance may look acceptable at normal ride height, but at full droop (unloaded suspension) the tire swings closer to the bolt. Could be very dangerous...

Most people get by with one of several remedies:
A) Mill, grind, or shave the bolt head to about half it's original thickness to gain about 1/4" more clearance.
or B) Buy the Maximum Motorsports "button head" bolts that are lower profile and rounded smooth.
or C) Use a wheel spacer to move the wheel outward, most guys use 1/4" or 3/8", but some use bigger. This is the least popular solution.

Also be aware that each car has it's own unique dimensions (production line tolerances, etc.) so what fits on your buddy's car may not work for you. And tires will vary also. One brand name 315 will be a good bit wider than another brand.

I notice you're new to the site, welcome aboard. If you have search priveleges, search for some of these items and you'll find a TON of info to read.

justice

Established Member
315 x 35 x 17 Nittos on 10.5 wheels
No issues, with it sitting on the ground, but when on the hoist the rubber hits the IRS bolt as the suspension unloads.

No grinding, no mods. Works well for over 2500 miles:beer:

justice

Users who are viewing this thread