10.5 rear wheel stud question

Mad Max

Mod Crazy
Established Member
I have AFS 17 x 10.5 wheels on the rear of my Cobra. Previous owner ground IRS stud and wheel fits fine under car.
My question is, the lug nuts seem to be very recessed in the wheel. Do they have enough stud to be safe, or should I add wheel spacers?

optx002

Established Member
if you go with a 3/8 inch spacer, your stock studs are fine with extended thread lugs. otherwise, if you go with 1/2 inch or larger spacers, longer studs are recommended. I used moroso studs are most people use.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I have this exact wheel spacer combo and I had to install 3" studs because there was not enough thread engagement. Go to the "How to" section and do a search "installing longer wheel studs" using my call sign. I did a write-up on it describing the install.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
If you don't have any spacers, your fine. The offset of the 10.5" wheel makes the lugs sit deep in the wheel.

optx002

Established Member
C55AMG said:
i have 18x10.5 ...didnt seem to need longer studs???

i believe the added height of the 18s help clear the irs bolt. therefore, you probably didnt need spacers. when you dont use spacers, the stock studs hold up fine.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Mad Max said:
I have AFS 17 x 10.5 wheels on the rear of my Cobra...
the lug nuts seem to be very recessed in the wheel...
Anyone running 10.5" AFS wheels has the same issue. The lugnuts look like they're buried into the holes on these wheels. When you bolt these wheels on, you can't see the lugnuts like you can on the front wheels. It's just the way the wheels were made, but it doesn't affect the thread engagement.

Unless you're running wheel spacers, you have plenty of thread contact. I actually thought about buying taller lugnuts to make the back wheels look like the fronts...but I never did.

Users who are viewing this thread