10,000 mile check up need brakes??

MADGREEK

Established Member
went in for my 10k check up and i was told that my back brakes need to be replace they are at 5%(3mm). while my front are at 80% all around even wear. this is my third cobra(96,01,03) never had this happen. could this be a warrenty issue, if not were to buy brake pads at a low $$$. thanks

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
My squeelers were touch right at 10k on mine on the front havent checked the back, I just threw new pads on the front.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Don't forget the back brakes are a completely different compound from what Ford put on the older Cobras. Notice how they are much more dusty than the fronts? At 22k miles my back ones are nearing needing to be replaced but my fronts are, like you said, around 70% remaining. I plan to get a set of Hawk pads when the time comes.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Wow I just had my 30k yesterday and nothing was said about the brakes. I would say at 10k miles it would definetly be a warranty issue.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by 03ShadowCobra
Wow I just had my 30k yesterday and nothing was said about the brakes. I would say at 10k miles it would definetly be a warranty issue.

Brake pads are wear and tear items and not covered by anyone's warrantee. It all depends on HOW you use your brakes. Ifyou drive fast and tailgate, your brake pads will obviously wear very quickly.

MADGREEK

Established Member
why only the back ones are shot, i drive this one carefully also its my 3rd cobra, as i said never had this problem. its a 500$ brake job. where can i buy brake pads for a good $$$. thanks

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
hardest part about doing the rear brakes on these cars is getting the e-brake cable off. i use a pair of needle nosed pliers and a pry bar. pops it right out. take the bolts out that have the rubber bellows on them, and lift the caliper off the mounting bracket. dont lose the slippers on the sides of the pads. change them over to the new pads, and put the pads on the rotor. retract the piston in the caliper with your piston retracting tool [go buy one if you dont have one. they're super cheap] and put the caliper back on the rotor. bolt the caliper back to its bracket and bleed the brakes.

done.

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
Originally posted by MADGREEK
went in for my 10k check up and i was told that my back brakes need to be replace they are at 5%(3mm). while my front are at 80% all around even wear. this is my third cobra(96,01,03) never had this happen. could this be a warrenty issue, if not were to buy brake pads at a low $$$. thanks

Had my rear pads replaced at a little over 11k under warranty at the dealer. Also got two new front rotors the same day under warranty, but that's a different story.

MADGREEK

Established Member
Re: Re: 10,000 mile check up need brakes??

Originally posted by HaulinBuggy
Had my rear pads replaced at a little over 11k under warranty at the dealer. Also got two new front rotors the same day under warranty, but that's a different story.

how did you get it done under warranty???

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
12mo/12,000 mile bumper-to-bumper.

Took it in because brakes were squealing pretty bad and they told me I needed new rear pads. I think you can picture the rest of the conversation.

MADGREEK

Established Member
Originally posted by HaulinBuggy
12mo/12,000 mile bumper-to-bumper.

Took it in because brakes were squealing pretty bad and they told me I needed new rear pads. I think you can picture the rest of the conversation.

WOW that is the same reason i took her in for the 10K check up.
what do you mean 12/12 bumper to bumper?

HaulinBuggy

Established Member
It's part of your new car warranty.

12 months /12,000 miles and 3 year/36,000 miles.....different things are covered for the different terms. The 12/12 is bumper to bumper.

Read the little waranty guide that came with your car, it will explain it all.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Originally posted by MADGREEK
why only the back ones are shot, i drive this one carefully also its my 3rd cobra, as i said never had this problem. its a 500$ brake job. where can i buy brake pads for a good $$$. thanks

$500 bucks? Damn, it's about $100-150 in parts and maybe two hours tops. Less with the right tools. As I said, the 2003-2004 cobras use a different brake lining than the older cobras. It's also a much different material than they use on the front brakes; it's exclusive to the cobra and wears much faster than the fronts. But 10k does seem to be pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread