1 piece ds pinion angle question

DD2013 5.0

Established Member
I'm trying to understand the correct way to set the pinion angle on my car with a shaft master 1 piece ds and UPR adj upper control arm? Shaft master says to set it "0" or stock. I have no reference to this as my car is lowed 1.5 inches and the stock springs are long gone.
I've been told 2 different methods of checking the angles and deturmining pinion angle.
1 measuring off the trans flange then the pinion flange then subtracting the 2.
2 measuring off the drive shaft then measuring off the pinion flange and subtracting the 2.
If 0 is ideal then the first method would have the pinion slightly down in relation to the ds. The second would have the pinion in a perfect line with the ds
Which is the correct way to do this? This ds doesn't have a cv but instead had a slip joint at the rear with 2 u joints. I have the pinion -2 deg in relation to the ds rite now

stangn

Established Member
Kelly from BMR can help with this and I'm sure there's a post in here somewhere from him on how to do this. Anyways you need the pinion flange -2 deg from trans flange so when you excellerate and the axle twists upward your driveline will be in alignment.

BMR Tech

PinionAngle-1pcShaft-1.jpg

BMR Tech

HERE is the deal.

I am going to make this in caps, because I want people to know this, really.

1: IF YOU SUBTRACT YOUR MEASUREMENTS - YOU MUST USE THE ANGLE FINDER IN THE SAME EXACT ORIENTATION - TO MEASURE BOTH ANGLES (DS / Pinion)

2: IF YOU "ADD" - YOU MUST MEASURE ONE ANGLE FROM THE DRIVER SIDE, AND THE OTHER ANGLE FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Interesting that shaftmasters told you to set it to 0 on a lowered car which means when you accerelate hard your car's pinion angle will be way off. Apparently shaftmasters doesn't want you to use their driveshaft on a lowered car!

BMR Tech

Well keep in mind, from a DS manufacturers standpoint......they would rather someone have a proper angle while driving, 90% of the time....than having a proper angle only when accelerating WOT.

You have to pick, do you want to run the "perfect" angle only while racing, or only while putting around town, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread