1 of 23: 1965 Shelby 427 Cobra Competition - Jay Leno's Garage

Rare40th

Established Member
That was awesome. Definitely enjoy his interviews/car reviews. Maybe it's me but did his voice/talking seem off? Still looks good for 70 y.o.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
Granted he's no spring chicken, but we aren't either!
Open air cars will make your air off some. Great car, even greater original car Guy!
Long live Jay..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Granted he's no spring chicken, but we aren't either!
Open air cars will make your air off some. Great car, even greater original car Guy!
Long live Jay..
Amen brother! I think he looks good for 70. I'm definitely no spring chicken, so IMO he looks more than "good". LOL. He still has a nice, full head of hair!

Great video and narrative by Jay. 1 of 23. What a special car. To drive this Cobra would be nerve wracking and an adrenalin rush. What a beautiful and classic car, even today.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I watched this last night. Awesome car.

Have to agree, Jay wasn't in top form. I hope all is well with him.

Recon

Established Member
Such a good looking car, with a wicked engine. I agree with everyone something seems wrong that he isn’t saying. Hope whatever it is, it will be resolved soon.

Pick your poison.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
I'll never be able to afford a real 427 Cobra. At some point, I'll most likely grab a replica car and build a SBF stroker 427 from a 351 Dart block.

oldmachguy

Established Member
If I had the cheddar there’s only one megabuck car I’d buy: a 427 S/C. But since S/C’s virtually never come up for sale, my backup would be to get an original 427 Cobra and swap in a Cammer with Hilborn injectors. I think it’s epic that those cars are 55 years old and can still put the hurt on many modern super cars.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to believe that car was about 75k in today’s money, and now it’s worth 33x that amount. If we only had a time machine...

triple-s

Established Member
My man looking like age catching up with him. But still loves fast car's I hope that's me when I'm older.

oldmachguy

Established Member
Had forgotten about this: In like ‘81 or ‘82 I was at the Mid-America Shelby meet in Tulsa. Sunday was the car show, which was in the parking lot of a bank next to the hotel IIRC. Under the awning of the motor bank was a blue 427 Cobra with a For Sale sign in the windshield. (Punchline in a minute.) Guy claimed it was an S/C, and it did have a roll hoop and a single 4 bbl. Anyway, one of the concours judges (named William Guion - look up his recent obit. in San Antonio) came up, the crowd backed away and he checked it out. Confirmed it was an original S/C. Price was $90,000 (roughly $1.4M in today’s money). So many fish seem to have gotten away.

Users who are viewing this thread