1-of-1 Prototype | 6.7L Powerstroke Ford Racing Turbo Upgrade Kit | Rare Find

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
1-of-1 Prototype | 6.7L Powerstroke Ford Racing Turbo Upgrade Kit | Rare Find

FRPP_Turbo_005.jpg

Sometimes you just miss on the follow-through. That’s the story on a lot of ideas and projects. The best laid plans of mice and men, and such. That’s basically what we have laying before us here. What you’re looking at is a 1-of-1 prototype Ford Racing 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel V8 Turbo Upgrade kit. I know, weird right? Ford Racing Performance Parts (now rebranded Ford Performance Racing Parts) has never really dipped their toes into the performance diesel market, yet here’s this kit. Not surprisingly, there’s a bit of a story to go along with it.

Think way back late 2014-early 2015. The updated 2015 Powerstroke equipped Super Duty is just hitting the dealership lots. It was cranking out 440 HP and 860 lb-ft (up from 390/400 HP and 735/800 lb-ft for the 2011-14 models), due in large part to a shiny new single 88mm GT37 turbo. It replaced the earlier somewhat unique single-sequential turbo that was prone to failure at about 100,000 miles. It featured ceramic ball bearings that just had a tough time living up the rigors of Super Duty performance, and would basically find themselves pounded into dust. However, we saw those failures as an opportunity.

I knew the 2015+ turbo would physically bolt to the 1st Gen 6.7L engine, because a few aftermarket companies had cobbled together some kits to do just that. They worked, but lacked the fit and finish of an OEM system. So I phoned up a good friend at FRPP and discussed what we could do to make a better option for those who wanted a more robust turbo (the 2015+ turbo has low-tech but tough journal bearings) with greater power production potential. This kit is what we came up with.

What we have is essentially every component in the turbo system that changed between the 2014 and 2015 model years. We didn’t know exactly what we would need to make the swap work, but that’s where SVTP came in. I was supposed to install the kit on a friend’s truck and report the results back to FRPP along with any pertinent installation notes. Unfortunately, the person I was working with on this project moved on from his position at Ford and no one left at FRPP really wanted to take up the challenge. Oil burners have never been part of the portfolio there and the remaining brass saw no need to change that.

That left us in possession of this 1-of-1 prototype 6.7L PSD Turbo Upgrade Kit from Ford Racing Performance Parts, and no real future for a public release. So it has just sat on a self collecting dust for the past 8+ years. I really don’t have any plans for this thing. I supposed the logical thing to do would be to find a 2011-2014 PSD Super Duty with a grenaded turbo and get to work. If anyone has one laying around, let me know. Until then I guess it’ll go back on the shelf, unless FPRP wants to pick up where we left off…

-SID297

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Lol. Actually diesel turbos do pretty well on the old 2.3 SOHC. They are made to spool quickly due to the low RPM nature of a diesel. I know a lot of guys used to throw diesel Holsets on the 2.3.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
2013 F350 SRW here with 170k miles and no issues. Meticulously maintained engine. Would be a good before and after swap dyno vehicles.

Old blue is already DPF deleted, though. It’s how I bought her.

Users who are viewing this thread