1/4 times on Ford Gt

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
Those vipers and vettes aren't mid-engined and the more power you put into a car thats FE the more you lose. The undercarriage aerodynamics of the Ford GT help out alot I would think and i'm sure they adjusted the gears on the Ford GT TT.

I don't want to sound arrogant, but that makes no sense. Engine placement has nothing to do with it once your moving. A front engine might even help keep the front end down at hyper speeds. A viper has diffusers and aero management under body.

The GT isn't the only car on the face of the earth that has aerodynamic tuning and underbody diffusers and it's definately not the most aerodynamic. Unless that TT GT is making more than 1000rwhp (which i've read is in the area of 750fwhp) no way 250 mph. Do have any idea of how fast 250 mph is in a full weight street car with a huge rear wing? It would need major gearing changes and wouldn't be very quick.

Show me some proof of it getting anywhere near 250 mph, other than manufacturers estimates, and I'll believe you.

Last edited:

50 BMG

Socialpath media
Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
The Ford GT TT, with the original aerodynamics, has been said to go over 250mph w/o a problem so I would say fairly sleek.

No way will a Ford GT hit 250 with original aerodynamics unless it has 900+rwhp.

The person who said that is either on to something completely new in the aero world or is full of shit.

satx said:
Now, fast forward to reality.....the GT has ~75rwhp more than the Z06 (that is alot BTW and takes this out of the "drivers race" category into the slaughter category especially from a roll) and that should be enough to net it 3-4 mph more in trap speed. IMHO.

Lots of assumptions in these 2 arguments (the other is the quote below). First off we need to get a Ford GT on a scale and find out what it really weighs...which I'm going to do in a few weeks.

Second, although the rwhp estimates of the C6Z are probable, nothing is confirmed. GM hasn't underrated any of their Gen III engines as of yet...but if there was ever a time to do so it would be now.

satx said:
So a stock Z06 and a stock GT race on the highway ......you really think there won't be buslengths between them? Remember that the GT has ~75 more rwhp and a very slick shape .... the Z06 has a .34 Cd and a fairly large frontal area. BUSLENGTHS.

Is the .34 CoD confirmed on the Z?

We also need to look at the difference in ride height & frontal area between the 2 cars (as well as the CoD on the Ford GT).

Going off magazine stats (christ I'm tired of doing that) I don't think the GT will pull buslengths, but I do think it will pull it. And my hunch (it's just a hunch) is that it will pull harder as the speeds increase.

I'll see what I can find from MT on the aero stats.

bender460

Established Member
FGT vs. Z06 in the 1/4?? The one with the better 60' time I think will win the race. So witch one will be able to get the better 60'?? I think the GT will being mid engine. So many variables :shrug: but I'm sticking with the GT.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
FordGTGuy said:
Ohhh I think the Z06 is a great car I just wish that someone would get these two cars and make a final winner. The Ford GT TT, with the original aerodynamics, has been said to go over 250mph w/o a problem so I would say fairly sleek.

I think what he's referring to is the orignal GT40 race cars that competed at LeMans. It is indeed true that they were said to surpass 240MPH on the Mulsanne straight. Dan Gurney is the one who said that he was hitting around 245 on that 10+ mile straight.

satx

Banned
rocknrod said:
0.286 cd on the 2006
http://www.c6registry.com/Facts/productinfo/2006.htm
OH nevermind, thats for the coupe and convertible models.
The Z06’s Cd is .31.
http://216.109.125.130/search/cache...oefficient+drag&d=FEyL72FULckL&icp=1&.intl=us

I brought this back because I was actually RIGHT and the corvette museum was wrong. Damn I'm good......see post in regard to GM's SAE papers. :-D

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=1296015&page=3

BTW.....this is not an attempt to restart any Z06 vs. GT arguments.

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
So I guess the question is can we believe a roughly 525 rwhp 3400lbs mid engined car can trap 130 mph?

my guess is that the gearing is hurting the car in the 1/4... slightly.

ford site says it has 315/40/19 tires..which means they are 28.9 inchs tall. with 3.36 rear gears and 6 speed with ratios slightly taller (more highway) than the viper/vette T56.

the GT will trap the 1/4 in some where in 3rd gear.... thats its 1.23 ratio with 3.36's. basically making this car like a 3 speed auto with 4.13 gears with near 29inch tall tire. at 6500rpms peak power, it should be goin 135mph.. so it'll be close in the 1/4 depends on where ppl are trapping. if they do go 130mph stock, then they are at the top of 3rd gear. this isnt too bad but with 4.30 gears, the car will trap the 1/4 in its 4th gear which is .94:1 instead of 1 to 1 like the viper/vette. i think alot is left on the table with the stock gearing but it gives it top end. 4 gears will provide some quick shifting action. most all 6speed cars use 4 gears in the 1/4. u want to trap in your 1 to 1 gear.

in 5th gear, its good for 217mph...6th gear gives 264... theoretically based on tire size and gearing... but to push air out the way to over come drag above 220 just requires raw horsepower and torque or slick aero. i dont think the GT has either to do more than 220 with stock power

SuperB

Established Member
I'll take mine to the track one day, any Vettes wanna meet me.

3123360817.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Orr89rocz

WTF
Established Member
the car is hot man! cant wait to hear what she runs

definately keep an eye on what rpm your trappin at.... i'm curious to see where its at. but we could figure out that just by trap speed and gearing/tire size LOL

and look out for the front end trippin the beams early. it could happen at some tracks. my 89 Iroc has a 1.5inch lowering kit on it, and with the factory air damn, at my track.. i can only trap 93mph in the right lane, and 100 in the left. the left is the correct lane for me. other guys noticed this as well if you got a lowered car. just the layout of the track at the end. most tracks should be even/level on both lanes

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
Orr89rocz said:
my guess is that the gearing is hurting the car in the 1/4... slightly.

ford site says it has 315/40/19 tires..which means they are 28.9 inchs tall. with 3.36 rear gears and 6 speed with ratios slightly taller (more highway) than the viper/vette T56.

the GT will trap the 1/4 in some where in 3rd gear.... thats its 1.23 ratio with 3.36's. basically making this car like a 3 speed auto with 4.13 gears with near 29inch tall tire. at 6500rpms peak power, it should be goin 135mph.. so it'll be close in the 1/4 depends on where ppl are trapping. if they do go 130mph stock, then they are at the top of 3rd gear. this isnt too bad but with 4.30 gears, the car will trap the 1/4 in its 4th gear which is .94:1 instead of 1 to 1 like the viper/vette. i think alot is left on the table with the stock gearing but it gives it top end. 4 gears will provide some quick shifting action. most all 6speed cars use 4 gears in the 1/4. u want to trap in your 1 to 1 gear.

in 5th gear, its good for 217mph...6th gear gives 264... theoretically based on tire size and gearing... but to push air out the way to over come drag above 220 just requires raw horsepower and torque or slick aero. i dont think the GT has either to do more than 220 with stock power

that was great info. thanx 4 sharin the details :read:

Users who are viewing this thread