1/4" spacers. new studs?

TenthScale

Established Member
So I am looking at getting the new FR500 17x10.5s then end of the month.. I will be running 315/35 GS-D3s. I know I need some spacing. I like the MM 1" hubcentrics as they have intigral bolts and if I need to bolt up my stock wheel/tires again it will only take a few minutes and I can use stock lugs.

Now I am seeing alot of people are able to get away with 1/4" spacers. My question is with only a 1/4 is it possible to still use the stock studs or would I need to press longer studs in?

If I need the longer studs I don't think its going to work for me as I would like to have the ability to swap stock back on with out having to use open ended lugs.

86strokerlx

Ford dreamer
Established Member
My boss had a set of hub centric 3/8" spacers on his '03 with AFS extended lugnuts. Had to shave the bolt heads a little but the wheels and tires did not stick out like a lot of the other Cobras I've seen. AFS 17x10.5 and Eagle 315's. Damn that thing was awesome! Here's a picture. I wish a had a closer one for you.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I needed 1/2 inch spacers with my 10.5's and GS-D3 315's. 1/4 inch spacers would have been way to close. I still had to shave the IRS bolt with the 1/2 inchers. I had 1" spacers on untill last week. The 1/2 inch spacers give the side profile more of a stock look.

mosconiac

Established Member
I used MM 1/4" spacers on my '03 with AFS extended lug nuts. I got 6-7 turns on the stud, which is sufficient per MM.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You should be fine with 1/4 inch spacers and stock studs. I just wanted a bit more clearance.

TenthScale

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
And yes I had to use different studs.

Yea I saw all your writeups which got me thinking about the issue. I agree while the 1" design with the intigral studs is the easiest I am not convinced on the look. I am not really looking to go the ARP stud route like you did either :(

Since I am using different wheels I guess I will order the wheels and tires.. shave the IRS bolt and take the car to the Americas Tire that is right across the street from my house and see if I get clearence with a 1/4" spacer. If it clears I will just order up the MM one. If not I guess I am going 1".

Thanks guys.

Now if the FR500s would become available I would be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread