1,300HP Mercury Comet BRAKE FAILURE CRASH

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve done some stupid things in my life but I will never produce a movie-quality video to advertise it to the world.

Sucks, but why in the world are you rocking 23 year old brakes with 1300 hp?

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
I had a b&m ratchet shifter in my old Camaro and I could downshift anytime I needed to do so. The driver is a fool who shouldn’t be driving cars like that. He knew he was having a throttle concern and kept driving while riding the brakes. He is lucky he didn’t kill anyone.
True that. Mine ratcheted both ways and had a T bar to pull and put in and out of park. What a complete dumb ass.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This was heartbreaking to watch. So much hindsight. Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda.

As others have said, this YT generation with all the high HP cars and the "Stand back I built this shit myself" mentality, it's amazing to me this stuff doesn't happen more often. These guys running mid 4's with 1500 HP LS set ups on methanol with holes the size of a watermelon in the fire wall. Scares the crap out of me. Among other things.

Perhaps I'm getting crotchety. My daughter would agree. lol

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
and the "Stand back I built this shit myself" mentality.

Man, can I relate to that. But, also, since I built it myself, I made sure I triple checked everything. No way was I hammering on the throttle before making sure the safety equipment, brakes and electronic E-brake worked.

I love my car, but love my face and body even more LMAO!!!

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a b&m ratchet shifter in my old Camaro and I could downshift anytime I needed to do so. The driver is a fool who shouldn’t be driving cars like that. He knew he was having a throttle concern and kept driving while riding the brakes. He is lucky he didn’t kill anyone.

Mine was rmvb and never had a problem either. Maybe had a lockout? I know the different versions have different gate patterns.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
Would the video be considered evidence that he was knowingly driving a car with faulty/questionable brakes with no regard to anyone else’s safety?

Minivan folks are hopefully ok!

mariusvt

Established Member
Would the video be considered evidence that he was knowingly driving a car with faulty/questionable brakes with no regard to anyone else’s safety?

I mean, there's the assumption they didn't wait until everything was settled before posting the video where they're opening themselves up to all kinds of liability. That being said, the car was covered in camera's and the trailing car, Id think that footage was requested immediately after the accident.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I mean, there's the assumption they didn't wait until everything was settled before posting the video where they're opening themselves up to all kinds of liability. That being said, the car was covered in camera's and the trailing car, Id think that footage was requested immediately after the accident.

I'm not sure of his intention concerning the timing of the release of the video. He clearly stated the accident happened on December 17, 2021. It's July 2022 and he posts it now. Why did he wait this long?

Could the video already have been requested by police for investigation or by prosecutors for legal action? Who knows, but I'm sure they are not just throwing this video out there without knowing what legal ramifications could be coming.

I'm sure the insurance company or "victims" have already made their intentions known and the guys realize how the video will enhance or degrade someone's case.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The channel did a live Q&A with the host (passenger side in the car) as well as their 3 camera men, just yesterday or so. Right after the crash, one of them ran to the minivan, and it was just 1 male driving. He had a small cut to his head, but was over wise fine. The minivan was still driveable. He did not go to the hospital, but yes the minivan was towed away. They have not been in contact with him in any sort of way and don't have his contact info.

dan1982

Established Member
lucky to be alive.... lucky it didnt happen at 200plus mph... that being said... i have a hot motorcycle... and just recently i found some front pinch bolts on the forks/axle loose... luckily i check stuff like this every so often... (I had a front tire catch a nail and i used an unfamiliar local motorcycle shop yank the front tire off the bike/replace tire... i should have checked it right away... ) but i didnt... i rode the bike with those pinch bolts loose for WEEKS...... at well over 200MPH. more than once.... the thought alone makes me neauseous. That being said... these guys KNOWINGLY had a sticky throttle in a car with a tight converter and alot of balls/ old ass brakes that they could SMELL cooking.... why didnt he throw the damn thing in neutral/ kill ignition and open the door and drag his feet???????? i mean... if u cant think fast enough to kill ignition... and why is there NO KILL switch??????? my kill switch is ATTACHED to my body..... in fact... there are two kill switches....... ONE can be attached to my body. its important... if the throttle ever got locked open/ in an emergency... i wouldnt BE ABLE to fight the g forces to REACH the KEY.
22713285_1304727056302782_8671255044648440910_o.jpg

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
This was heartbreaking to watch. So much hindsight. Shoulda. Woulda. Coulda.

As others have said, this YT generation with all the high HP cars and the "Stand back I built this shit myself" mentality, it's amazing to me this stuff doesn't happen more often. These guys running mid 4's with 1500 HP LS set ups on methanol with holes the size of a watermelon in the fire wall. Scares the crap out of me. Among other things.

Perhaps I'm getting crotchety. My daughter would agree. lol

Some of those videos are exactly the ones that scare me into not ****ing with safety stuff.

I still remember the one a driver did about an engine fire he had. It cut a jet through the head gasket, deck and head on the back of the engine, hitting an oil line and turning it into a blowtorch, which went right through the carbon fiber firewall he had. He had his visor open and not well fire rated gear so he got burned pretty bad as this car tried to slow down from 200mph.

I don't know how these guys run with open firewalls or floors. There's been lots of people hurt from components grenading and ricocheting around the interior.

Another of some street racing with a highly lightened fox notch. All kinds of stuff cut out of it- very important safety stuff included. He launches, it goes hard right into a ditch and rolls. Peeled the top off like a sardine can, and the rest was wadded up like tin foil.

lucky to be alive.... lucky it didnt happen at 200plus mph... that being said... i have a hot motorcycle... and just recently i found some front pinch bolts on the forks/axle loose... luckily i check stuff like this every so often... (I had a front tire catch a nail and i used an unfamiliar local motorcycle shop yank the front tire off the bike/replace tire... i should have checked it right away... ) but i didnt... i rode the bike with those pinch bolts loose for WEEKS...... at well over 200MPH. more than once.... the thought alone makes me neauseous. That being said... these guys KNOWINGLY had a sticky throttle in a car with a tight converter and alot of balls/ old ass brakes that they could SMELL cooking.... why didnt he throw the damn thing in neutral/ kill ignition and open the door and drag his feet???????? i mean... if u cant think fast enough to kill ignition... and why is there NO KILL switch??????? my kill switch is ATTACHED to my body..... in fact... there are two kill switches....... ONE can be attached to my body. its important... if the throttle ever got locked open/ in an emergency... i wouldnt BE ABLE to fight the g forces to REACH the KEY.

Maybe a PSA here but if you experience an engine stuck wide open, unless you have a manual steering box, manual brakes, and no column interlock, DO NOT TURN THE KEY OFF. You will lose all power steering, power braking, and your column will lock up, meaning you can't steer at all until it's moved back to the on position. If you've ever had an engine die on you, you know how hard that sucks.

Put it in neutral and come to a stop. The engine might sound horrendous, but it won't be putting any of that power to the ground at that point. Then you can shut it off.

dan1982

Established Member
Some of those videos are exactly the ones that scare me into not ****ing with safety stuff.

I still remember the one a driver did about an engine fire he had. It cut a jet through the head gasket, deck and head on the back of the engine, hitting an oil line and turning it into a blowtorch, which went right through the carbon fiber firewall he had. He had his visor open and not well fire rated gear so he got burned pretty bad as this car tried to slow down from 200mph.

I don't know how these guys run with open firewalls or floors. There's been lots of people hurt from components grenading and ricocheting around the interior.

Another of some street racing with a highly lightened fox notch. All kinds of stuff cut out of it- very important safety stuff included. He launches, it goes hard right into a ditch and rolls. Peeled the top off like a sardine can, and the rest was wadded up like tin foil.

Maybe a PSA here but if you experience an engine stuck wide open, unless you have a manual steering box, manual brakes, and no column interlock, DO NOT TURN THE KEY OFF. You will lose all power steering, power braking, and your column will lock up, meaning you can't steer at all until it's moved back to the on position. If you've ever had an engine die on you, you know how hard that sucks.

Put it in neutral and come to a stop. The engine might sound horrendous, but it won't be putting any of that power to the ground at that point. Then you can shut it off.
he tried to put it in neutral.... watch the video. He was panick stricked and couldnt get anything done.... at that point.. who cares if u dont have power steering or power brakes or the steering wheel locks up... it was pointed STRAIGHT... just kill it. im not sure why a 1300HP 632ci car would have an interlock anyway... car has been modified to the moon and back. it should have been eliminated.... absolutely. for now obvious reasons.

Last edited:

dan1982

Established Member
Drag his feet?
the flintstones dino GIF

You wanted him to stick both feet out of his door?
LOL.... just one. DO SOMETHING to slow it down. he couldnt get it in neutral and didnt kill it... motor stayed pulling at what 2500RPMS until it smashed into a minivan. if the motor was instanlty killed... he would have only been going 20 mph or so by hte time he ran into the minivan. Also... an electric emergency brake is a TERRIBLE idea. why rely on electronics if u dont have to... mechanical emergency brakes are just fine by me.,

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think in those split seconds before the crash his brain was in panic mode.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I remember that guy too. Became a great advocate for car safety and gear. *After* he got AFU.

Many years ago, when AMA Superbike racing was still a powerhouse, a group of us would meet up for the Road America race. About 20 sport bikes. We'd ride Kettle Moraine area for a while then head to the track. Well, one afternoon we all stopped at a gas station in Plymouth to fill up.

I'm a religious gear wearer. So I'm getting all my stuff back on and one of the younger kids starts harassing me about taking so long to get my gear on. He wore none. We finish up at gas station and we all part ways. Later in the day we found out this same kid was doing a stand-up wheelie down a back country road. Set the front down, went into a tank slapper, and pitched him off the bike. No broken bones but gnarley road rash up his side and across his back. Later in the weekend I went to visit him. I asked him if he was gonna start wearing gear. A simple "yes". Knucklehead...

Riding gear is like condoms and guns, I'd prefer to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread