09+ trans cooler line failures?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Ford tech makuloco of YouTube fame has been pounding the drum about the trans cooler lines failing at the quick connect on the engine bay side of the radiator. If one splits it seems to dump fluid so fast it kills a ~$6k transmission.

I’ve seen a few threads floating around about failure but wondering what others are seeing.

All 3 line sets seem to be a little under 300 bucks. I’m due for a 150k trans fluid/filter service anyway so debating if I should mess with em.

@13COBRA - you seeing any of this in your shop?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ford tech makuloco of YouTube fame has been pounding the drum about the trans cooler lines failing at the quick connect on the engine bay side of the radiator. If one splits it seems to dump fluid so fast it kills a ~$6k transmission.

I’ve seen a few threads floating around about failure but wondering what others are seeing.

All 3 line sets seem to be a little under 300 bucks. I’m due for a 150k trans fluid/filter service anyway so debating if I should mess with em.

@13COBRA - you seeing any of this in your shop?

I'll run a report this morning when I get in... but I haven't seen it.

2001Bullitt

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have 125k on my 12 and the front rad support/ trans cooler assembly has been off twice, let’s not talk about that. But even after messing with them, no leaks at all

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
ok so first picture is just how they can snap off even though the outside looks ok. I decided since it's basically 11 years old and 150k I'd replace them to be on the safe side. I couldn't see spending a bunch of money on new lines from Ford with the same potentially problematic fitting (they seem to fail on our class 8 trucks at work too).

The cooler system only sees a max of around 100-110 psi, the Gates transmission/oil cooler hose and the fittings are rated well past that. I put liquid line clamps on each side of the cooler assembly and then one on each rubber line I was working on. You need the Lisle 39660 oil line tool (NOT the same as a fuel line tool, trust me). I dropped a fitting, cut it off, spliced in the 90 with a couple inches of new hose. I got maaaaaybe 2 ounces of fluid lost so didn't bother topping off the trans, especially being such a royal pain in the ass. I was doing this at a complete and total ****ing around pace and I'd say it takes about an hour including putting the metal skid plate back on.

My quick disconnect fittings looked perfectly fine, inside and out. I couldn't see any corrosion or signs of a pending failure... kind feels like a waste of time now.

Also, when it's only ~80 outside, it's actually difficult to get the trans up over 195 to open the thermostat and re-fill/pressurize the cooler lines. I had the AC off so the fans wouldn't be running, held it in a lower gear and still had trouble getting it over 195
IMG_1339.jpeg
IMG_1335.jpeg
IMG_1337.jpeg
IMG_1338.jpeg

I'll let it all heat cycle a time or two then snug the clamps again

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread