'09 GT500 driveline vibration

Gix1k4

Established Member
My friend has an '09, it has developed a vibration at around 80kph (50mph-ish) and up, it stays constant, and we can feel it with the clutch engaged and disengaged. It has had a new 2 piece driveshaft installed under warranty, but the shake was still there. Was there not a TSB out there about the clutch on these cars? something about the kevlar(I think).

Thanks.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
There has been. In addition, there have been a number of revisions.

Your friend can contact the dealer for more information regarding TSB's. Or he can research much of it on the web. In general, if he has a 2009 GT500 that was manufactured after Aug. 15th 2008, he should have the new and improved flywheel (thanks to Rob for much of this information).

There is a small slot at the front of the transmission that will allow verification of the clutch he got. A flashlight and a keen eye will see one of two things.

Either he has the original, 2007-2009 (early '09 that is) clutch, or the first revision or change that ford instituted on the line (that was subsequently changed in the tsb to the '10 clutch). Anyway, the original flywheel (nodular) is on the right. You can see either those slots or if he has the later clutch, he will have the billet unit on the left. This shot is of the back...

Flywheelinstallation046.jpg

Front...

Flywheelinstallation045.jpg

The cera-metallic dual disc clutch inside looks like this worn example...

Flywheelinstallation036.jpg

Gix1k4

Established Member
Thanks for the great info, I'll forward it on to him. I know he's on the fence about whether to let them install another oem clutch, or go with a good aftermarket one. Of course, cost is a factor.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
So Tob, the main clutch issue with the 07 - early 09's was predominantly flywheel related? And in your opinion, is the 07-09' clutch assembly pretty decent quality, correctable TSB issues aside?

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
All good questions Terp.

My understanding is that yes, the clutch issues (aside from TR6060 issues) were directly related to the flywheel. The original design was prone to warpage. There were quite a few owners that weren't used to the cera-metallic clutch and didn't like Ford's 'excuse' that the noises and actuation were normal. There was also a lack of lubrication on the input shaft splines that was addressed in the TSB.

Anecdotally, the '07-'09 cera-metallic clutch can withstand more power than subsequent 'organic' clutches. I've never been able to obtain official torque figures but after 4 years or so, that would appear to be the argument. Unless I'm mistaken, you can no longer get the original clutch from Ford as it has been superseded by the later 'more user friendly' unit. I picked one up from an individual that got one from his dealer for warranty work but instead convinced the dealer to install an aftermarket unit.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The current TSB replacement parts (4th revision - and again, thanks to Rob for his work documenting this). Note the differences between the two...

Flywheel...
2010flywheelusedin4threvisionclutchrepair.jpg

2010flywheelusedin4threvisionclutchrepair2.jpg

2010flywheelusedin4threvisionclutchrepair1.jpg

Shorter slave cylinder...

2010slavecylinderusedin4threvisionclutchrepair1.jpg

Larger ID hydraulic line...

2010hydraulicclutchlineusedin4threvisionclutchrepair3.jpg

2010 organic clutch...

_2010discusedin4threvisionclutchrepair.jpg

_2010discusedin4threvisionclutchrepair1.jpg

_2010discusedin4threvisionclutchrepair2.jpg

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Very interesting. Thanks TOB for the info and pics. Interesting that Ford went away from the 07-09' "puck" style disc, back to the traditional full face.

Back in my Terminator days, we were always argueing about which of the aftermarket configurations was superior. In the end, the vast majority of the guys ended up using the full face (Spec 3+, etc), as opposed to the puck, (Centerforce DFX). Just felt like there was more disc material to grab.

Users who are viewing this thread