'09 GT500 Clutch Dilemma-Need advice!

jshrop6004

Established Member
Hi Guys,

New to the forum & new GT500 owner. Here's my story, have had a 65 fastback GT 4 speed car for close to 25 years, bought a new 08 GT 5 speed car 6 years ago & put 98k miles on it. Always wanted a Shelby so started looking at the 1st of this year. Favored the 08-09's, so that was my target years. Live in the Upstate of SC, found an 09 GT500 in Metro Atlanta(2-1/2 hours away) at a Ford dealership(nameless for now). Cleaned up the 08 and drove it to Atlanta on Saturday Feb. 22nd. Shelby had 36,004 miles on the odo and was literally flawless on the paint, body, & interior. All stock with the exception of Magnaflow axlebacks & what I later found out were 3" Magnaflow mid-pipes. It did have stick on rear glass abs louvers, quarter glass louvers, and even stick on hood pins!(all removed post haste) Test drive was great, we worked out a deal & I traded the 08 & brought home my 1st Shelby.

I commute about 25 miles one way each day(90% Interstate, I-85) and this past Wednesday(4-1/2 weeks of ownership) on the way home was in 6th gear doing about 70 MPH, gave it some throttle and it slipped. Got to my exit, shifted from 1st to 2nd & it really slipped. Got it in my garage and the smell of burnt clutch was overwhelming.

I will mention at this point that the Shelby was a Ford Certified Used Car & that I purchased an extended 2 year, 36k mile bumper to bumper Ford warranty(not a 3rd party warranty company) when I bought the car.

Called my local Ford dealer Thursday(3/27) and they said bring it in. I did at 9AM & they said they would advise me when they knew something. I did discuss the TSB with the service agent when I dropped it off but he kind of blew it off saying that it would not cause slippage of the clutch. Did not hear back all day so I called at 4PM & they said the tranny had to be pulled & they would call me in the morning, & they would work with me to get the issue resolved.

Went to the dealership Friday morning at 10AM, they let me go into the garage. My Shelby was up on the rack and let me tell you it made me sick to see my dream cars tranny on the shop floor! Tech was super nice, was a 93 Cobra owner and very informative. He showed me the clutch and it was burnt to a crisp and the flywheel was one big hotspot. Here is where it starts to get strange. He said the clutch was not an 09 clutch, it was a 2011 style. At this point for everyone's protection I am just going to state that the clutch had been changed in Sep. 2013(6 months ago) at a Ford dealer in GA(not the one I purchased from) when the car had 35,500k miles!(remember it had 36,004 when I bought it 5 weeks ago today) He said they would do everything they could to get it repaired under warranty and would let me know when Ford gave them a decision.

The service rep called about 1PM and said that Ford had responded back that the clutch was not covered and that the repair would cost me $3800 out of pocket and that was putting back the original 09 problematic clutch! I argued that the car was Ford Certified & had the extended warranty. He responded that they said it was normal wear! I also reminded him that I had put 98k on my 08 GT and the clutch in it was as good as the day I bought it. Didn't matter, he suggested I call Ford Customer Service or the dealer I brought it from.

I called the dealer in GA I bought the car from next & left a message for the manager to call. At about 4PM the used car manager called back, he was helpful & sympathetic. I told him about the burnt clutch with now only 1500 miles on it. He said they would get resolved & he was calling the dealer that installed the clutch and would get back to me. Of course it being Friday afternoon I have not heard back from him yet.

So now my Shelby is figuratively and literally up in the air. Should I call Ford Customer Service? Wait on the dealer in GA? Push for another 2012 Ford clutch? Get an aftermarket clutch & see if my local dealer will install and try to get Ford or the purchasing dealer to cover the labor? Not sure which way to turn. I have read several posts on the clutch issues on our cars but have not run into my particular situation. Hoping someone who has been there can give me some direction. Sorry for the long 1st post! Also if anyone can run an Oasis report the VIN # is 1ZVHT88S895119314. It might help if I go the FCSS route.

Thanks,

Joel S.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
When my clutch went @ 12,000 miles on my 07 I contacted Ford customer service, unfortunately they side w/ whatever the dealership says. I ended up going w/ a McLeod RXT and it was actually cheaper than having a stock 2010 clutch put in. If you call the dealership they should be able to run an oasis report for you, I just had my local dealership run one on a 2013 I was looking @.

phinhead34

Established Member
I would think they should replace that clutch. For it to last the short amount of time it did. They will not put back the original 07-09 clutch, it will be a 10+. I had to replace mine shortly after I bought it with less than 11k miles. Ford would not change mine as it is a wear item. Good luck!

RedZR

Established Member
The other thing that they might consider is that most dealership warrant their work, if they will not honor the repair under the original warranty they might be talked into honoring their most recent repair, but only through the dealer that replaced the clutch.

Was it showing any signs before it let go? Where was it engaging at as far as the petal distance off the floor?

If all else fails and you do have to go it on your own, I have read a lot about this and the McLeod RXT has nothing but positive responses. That is what I will use on my 2008 when it's time.
Dam

jshrop6004

Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Call Ford CS yesterday, got nowhere, told me it was a wear issue. Waiting to hear back from dealer I purchased from tomorrow,
we will see what happens, will keep the board posted.

Thanks,

Joel S.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I went through this back in the beginning. I handed 1 dealership THEIR TSB and said my clutch was slipping (11k miles) and needed them to look at it. They wanted to charge me $480 (and it was under full warranty) to look at it and see what the problem was. I called my selling dealership a hundred miles away and they offered to bring a truck and trailer down to pick it up. No questions asked, they replaced the clutch, flywheel, input shaft and #2 syncros....that lasted about 3 blocks on the test drive that I drove it. They called Ford Corp. right there, and had a completely new tranny, flywheel and clutch assy flat bedded to the dealership and replaced everything from the engine to the driveshaft. I'm not a racer or road tracker and don't live in an urban area, that clutch lasted 13K miles. It seems with daily in city driving, that the clutch assy fails much more often than even some drag racing. Something to do with the stop and start heat build up. Anyway, that was the last time I was going to use the OEM clutch. I replaced the flywheel and clutch with the McLeod RXT, did the recommended break in and have had no problems to date, have about 8k on the clutch, just over 30k on my 07/delieverd in late 06. I highly recommend the McLeod RXT. The thought of the extra cost of having to put in a new flywheel is insignificant compared to the extreme high quality of their parts. And a shameless plug....It's just as important to purchase said products from a reputable business, one that not only sells you a great product and stands behind it, but is there day in and day out. From the beginning of the new GT500; Lethal Performance has not only been a business that has leading edge products, it has been an invaluable source of information for GT500 owners. They have continuously lead the pack in GT500 R&D, performance and modding. If I can not find an answer to a question I can usually always count on the guys at Lethal to help me out. No, I don't actually know anyone there, not friends or have any financial interest in them. Just stating true facts, just as I would if there was a company that was bad. I would speak to Lethal, anything they said I would take as gospel. I've never heard of any instance from anyone; that Lethal attempted to OVER SELL them. If they say do it. I'd do it without any hesitation.

Kewlv8

Established Member
Do not get the Original clutch model put back in. I am surprised those boobs even mentioned that as an option. Either get a '12, or go aftermarket.

nxhappy

Established Member
Sorry to say but I think you are screwed. buy the McLeod RXT and be done with it.

jshrop6004

Established Member
I ordered the Mcleod RXT kit with flywheel from American Racing yesterday, it will be in tomorrow. Got the slave cylinder/throwout bearing today at NAPA. Still trying to get the selling dealer to pay the install charge($750) Will keep posted. Thanks for all the replies.

Joel S.

Last edited:

celticfdguy

Keepin Calm and Chivin On
Established Member
I had the SAME EXACT thing happen to me. I traded in my 2006 GT (stick shift) for a 2007 GT500 with around 20k on the clock from a Ford Dealer, 2 weeks later I brought it back for servicing due to the clutch slippage. After servicing the car they discovered the clutch was a mess. This was the same problem as the TSB. At first, they told me I had to pay for it out of pocket. I did not like this so I decided to fight it. Sure enough, from what they tell me they got the clutch replacement covered under the warranty I had purchased. Granted, I am not sure if this is the truth or not but I would fight this! Do not let them force you to pay it... This is the exact reason why car dealers get a bad rap.

Federico Garza

Established Member
I had the SAME EXACT thing happen to me. I traded in my 2006 GT (stick shift) for a 2007 GT500 with around 20k on the clock from a Ford Dealer, 2 weeks later I brought it back for servicing due to the clutch slippage. After servicing the car they discovered the clutch was a mess. This was the same problem as the TSB. At first, they told me I had to pay for it out of pocket. I did not like this so I decided to fight it. Sure enough, from what they tell me they got the clutch replacement covered under the warranty I had purchased. Granted, I am not sure if this is the truth or not but I would fight this! Do not let them force you to pay it... This is the exact reason why car dealers get a bad rap.

Same thing here, 6 weeks after I bought mine clutch slipped, 20K miles on it, just worn out

FordService

Official Ford Service Rep
Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Call Ford CS yesterday, got nowhere, told me it was a wear issue. ...

Joel,

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Service rep here on the forum. I want to get this straightened out for you. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the dealer your car is currently at, and I'll look into some options.

Ashley

hurststang

Established Member
Same thing just happened to me. I picked up my 08 on the 24th of March put less than 400 miles on it and then on 30 March the clutch goes. I got the car from a BMW dealer in Denver Colorado so I'm waiting to hear if they are going to help out.

DTSVT03

Why try?
Established Member
Same here. Picked up my 09 from CarMax back in November of 2013, 2 weeks later it was back at CarMax with a slipping clutch. I was fortunate though, CarMax replaced my clutch under the extended warranty that I purchased through them. My 09 had 26k miles at the time.

DTSVT03

Why try?
Established Member
I ordered the Mcleod SXT kit with flywheel from American Racing yesterday, it will be in tomorrow. Got the slave cylinder/throwout bearing today at NAPA. Still trying to get the selling dealer to pay the install charge($750) Will keep posted. Thanks for all the replies.

Joel S.

Also, welcome to the Shelby family. I am just down 85 from you in Anderson.

celticfdguy

Keepin Calm and Chivin On
Established Member
Joel,

My name is Ashley and I'm the new Ford Service rep here on the forum. I want to get this straightened out for you. PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the dealer your car is currently at, and I'll look into some options.

Ashley

THIS! Do not pay for this out of pocket!

Users who are viewing this thread