07 GT500 vs. 03 Cobra - Debate goes on. . .

musclefan21

Established Member
i saw a video a stock terminator and a stock GT500 was dead even and GT500 up top kinda reeled on a terminator. i think they are pretty evenly matched stock because of weight difference.

Vibora 03

Established Member
and here's one of me vs. a 540 RWHP GT500.
YouTube - Me (~500 RWHP?) Vs. '07 GT500 (540 RWHP)

I don't know what RWHP I'm actually making, my last dyno at MPH was only 462 RWHP (452 SAE) - before that it was 515 RWHP at Amazon Tuning. I ran even with a 440 RWHP C5 Z06 that dyno'd the same day / same place as my 462 pull, so I have to be making ~500+. My car doesn't make any sense, but it runs good on the street dyno, which is the only place that matters.

NIce runs took that Gt 500 for a walk. I ran one a couple of weekends ago same result.:rockon::pop:

racerbox77

Established Member
If the mods were equal I believe the GT500 would come out on top.The small weight difference is offset by the cubes and more efficient motor. I may be wrong..... Of course I personally would rather have a mint Fox Cobra and a sweet Termi for the same price as ONE GT500!

GT500R

Established Member
interesting...

the gt500 still has more power tho right?

yes, I would say 440 rwhp for GT500 vs. 410 ish ? rwhp for Cobra

couldnt really see - what was the result?

1 - 1/2 cars

The video is up for scrutiny. Was the Terminator even pullied? What gear were both cars pulling from?

No pully on the Cobra, I was in 2nd, I assume he was in second also

How do you forget what kind of intake you have and for that GT500 putn down about 60hp it pulled alittle harder then I thoght it would.

not my car

Prolly doesn't hurt when you can drive a car as well.

Nice kill Chris. When you bringing that freak down around these parts?

I gotta find a nice weekend, thing never sees rain, 15 months and 5500 miles

damn, nice race man. Only one race?

yeah, sorry !

Steeda30 - sorry, but its the driver that makes the difference

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I think GT500s are faster than 03-04 Cobras mod for mod. Meaning a pullied GT500 will beat a pullied 03-04 Cobra.

Steeda30 - sorry, but its the driver that makes the difference

I disagree, that GT500 would not have done better against Steeda30 with a better driver. That GT500 was nailing gears and they did multiple runs, even runs where there was a passenger in the 500 and not in the Cobra; still resulted in the Cobra coming out on-top. That clearly shows the Cobra was the faster car in those races, no question about it.

Yeah, the GT500 was actually powershifting in my video - I wasn't. So he was driving better than me, and that was the outcome. How's that grab ya?

Yeah, he seemed to be a great driver.. ;)

Paulinator

Established Member
and here's one of me vs. a 540 RWHP GT500.
YouTube - Me (~500 RWHP?) Vs. '07 GT500 (540 RWHP)

I don't know what RWHP I'm actually making, my last dyno at MPH was only 462 RWHP (452 SAE) - before that it was 515 RWHP at Amazon Tuning. I ran even with a 440 RWHP C5 Z06 that dyno'd the same day / same place as my 462 pull, so I have to be making ~500+. My car doesn't make any sense, but it runs good on the street dyno, which is the only place that matters.

thats a much better comparison giving actual rwhp comparison and a true heads up run.

turbosaleen

Established Member
gt-500 > Termi

There is no debate stock for stock the 500 is a hair faster.

a stock gt-500 is anywhere from 445 to 475 rwhp depenign on heat soak and the revision thats in its ecu from ford.

equaly moded the gt 500 is faster.

the gt-500 has a stronger motor
< how many termis you see with 700 + rwhp on stock engines >
there are tons of 500's out there doing that easily.

the gt 500 has a stronger trany
the gt500 has a stronger clutch
the gt500 has a solid axle that can take the power < 31 spine axles etc >
the gt500 has a much stronger fuel system with 54 pound injectors and higher flow twin pumps
How many termis can make 650 rwhp without doing anything to the fuel system.

You can make 800 rwhp with a gt500 with nothing more then a boost a pump and larger injector.

The 500 > the termi but thats simple evolution.

SURE at the same power level say 500 rwhp vs 500 rwhp the termi will be faster but thats useless since your comparing a car with much more mods then the gt-500

also tune comes so into play with the gt-500 a car that makes 500 rwhp on the dyno may may no where near that on the road due to drive by wire and timing pulled from heat soak etc..

SO much so you cant take two cars even that made 500 rwhp and say ok lets run them one may only mak 450 when its fully heat soaked etc.

you need to compare equaly modded cars ..
IE a termi with a gt-500 that both have pulley tune cold air and exhaust and similar boost numbers

or a kenee bell with same boost on each etc.

Last edited:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
There is no debate stock for stock the 500 is a hair faster.

a stock gt-500 is anywhere from 445 to 475 rwhp depenign on heat soak and the revision thats in its ecu from ford.

equaly moded the gt 500 is faster.

the gt-500 has a stronger motor
< how many termis you see with 700 + rwhp on stock engines >
there are tons of 500's out there doing that easily.

the gt 500 has a stronger trany
the gt500 has a stronger clutch
the gt500 has a solid axle that can take the power < 31 spine axles etc >
the gt500 has a much stronger fuel system with 54 pound injectors and higher flow twin pumps
How many termis can make 650 rwhp without doing anything to the fuel system.

You can make 800 rwhp with a gt500 with nothing more then a boost a pump and larger injector.

The 500 > the termi but thats simple evolution.

SURE at the same power level say 500 rwhp vs 500 rwhp the termi will be faster but thats useless since your comparing a car with much more mods then the gt-500

also tune comes so into play with the gt-500 a car that makes 500 rwhp on the dyno may may no where near that on the road due to drive by wire and timing pulled from heat soak etc..

SO much so you cant take two cars even that made 500 rwhp and say ok lets run them one may only mak 450 when its fully heat soaked etc.

you need to compare equaly modded cars ..
IE a termi with a gt-500 that both have pulley tune cold air and exhaust and similar boost numbers

or a kenee bell with same boost on each etc.

I honestly think it's a matter of preference. :shrug:

GT500R

Established Member
Yeah, the GT500 was actually powershifting in my video - I wasn't. So he was driving better than me, and that was the outcome. How's that grab ya?

That just shows me that he should sell the car since he can't beat you :banana:

and I didn't powershift in the vid either.

maybe he shifted early.

either way sucks for him

GT500R

Established Member
and im not starting a huge debate of which car is better. (well maybe a tad)

just mearly wanted to show two cars and how they did against each other.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Well whatever the case may be, they are both bada** cars that can be easily modded for insane HP. The GT500 is more than capable of putting out numbers higher than a Terminator with its 5.4 and newer and improved hardware. That point cannot be argued.

I about fell out of my chair when I first saw the specs of the GT500. I couldn't believe they bumped the HP up to 500 (at the time I didn't know what the weight of the car was and that it didn't have the IRS). I thought to myself that thing is going to overshadow the Terminators, performance only, and people are just going to forget about the 03/04 Cobra.

However, as we all now know, that simply isn't the case. Everytime I see a vid of Terminator against Condor, I am amazed in how well the Terminator performs against its bigger cubed and "more to love" successor. For the price and the hype I was expecting it to destroy the 03/04 but instead, it often comes down to a driver's race between the two, (ha) who knew? :-D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread