07' Eaton GT500 at the Dragstrip

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Back in March, I took the 2.5 hour trip down to Mason Dixon Dragway to get some runs in with the 07'. Not many GT500 folks push the factory Eaton supercharger, as planting a TVS or twinscrew under the hood is the more typical choice. Wanted to take the road less traveled and see if I could get a modest Eaton setup into the 10's at the strip. After getting in 17 runs over 4 years, (with 7 of them being aborted due to missed gears with the factory shifter!), finally hit the goal. Got in two runs:

1) 10.937 @ 126.92 w/ 1.658 60'
2) 10.963 @ 125.75 w/ 1.575 60'

Unfortunately, pissed away a decent 60 foot and a shot at a 10.8 on the second run with having to deal with some squirreliness in 2nd gear.

Basic Setup:
Posi Ported Eaton w/2.40" upper pulley (14.5 lbs of boost)
VMP 67mm TB w/ LM Plenum
JLT 123 CAI
3.73 Gears
J & M LCA, Roush UCA
MGW II shifter (of course!)
MRT Catless H Pipe
MT 15 x 28" Slicks, M & H Skinnies

Notes:
- No long tubes, no lower pulley, no injectors/BAP, minimal suspension mods, and modest weight reduction, (for me at least....will outline in another thread). Just don't have to break the bank to get decent performance.
- Slicks are obviously big here. High torque, poor basic front > rear weight distribution, often require more non-bias launching skill. Plus slicks absorb more of the shock at launch. Less breakage.
- Only 20 guys have hit 10's with the Eaton according to my research. 81 Terminator guys have done it. My experiences would actually suggest that it's a bit easier/less expensive with the GT500.
- The IRS is a challenge with hard launching with the Terminators. The shifter/transmission on the GT500 can be a nightmare.
- The GT500 M122 is bigger and more efficient than the 03/04's M112. Obviously..... But have a much harder time keeping the M122 cool than the M112.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats! That’s an awesome achievement.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IronTerp

Thanks fellas. Went back to the strip two weeks ago and hit a 11.05 at 124.36 at 1,500 DA. But friggin 60' time was only a 1.70. Driver ineptness kept me from backing it up....

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Thanks fellas. Went back to the strip two weeks ago and hit a 11.05 at 124.36 at 1,500 DA. But friggin 60' time was only a 1.70. Driver ineptness kept me from backing it up....

Haha. We all have not as good days at the strip. You are still ahead of most with those mods. I've been coming across nice 07-09s in stock form lately. Has me wanting to get one.
Are you still at PSU?

IronTerp

Haha. We all have not as good days at the strip. You are still ahead of most with those mods. I've been coming across nice 07-09s in stock form lately. Has me wanting to get one.
Are you still at PSU?
Thanks Dave. Have really enjoyed the GT500 for the 8 years that I’ve owned it and have no thoughts what so ever to move to the next level of Ford’s offerings. But still miss the 03’ Cobra. Great car.

And yes, still at Penn State. As long as we keep winning some games, I guess I’ll have to keep postponing retirement! Lol

Users who are viewing this thread