07' Eaton GT500 at the Dragstrip - Part II

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Due to crazy work schedule, every growing family, and of course, Covid, it's been 3 years since I last went drag racing with my Eaton powered 07' GT500. Recap of that last track outing (10.937 @ 126.92 w/ 1.658 60) is below:

https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/07-eaton-gt500-at-the-dragstrip.1161678/

In the winter of 19', I added a 10% IW Lower pulley, ARH long tubes, 13/14' Intercooler pump, VMP Boost a Pump, and 13/14' fuel injectors to the mix, and had my old friend Johnny Wiker update the tune. Dyno testing resulted in 629.82 RWHP and 613.44 RWTQ at 18.5 degrees of timing. This was an improvement of 32.32 RWHP and 48.74 RWTQ over the previous setup. Also had Johnnie configure a 100 octane tune of 22 Degrees timing, but did not attempt a dyno run with that tune.

On April 3, headed down to Beaver Spring Dragway and after a couple of "shake down" runs, was able to hit a 10.85 @ 128.42 w/ 1.582 sixty foot. Hit a 6.97 @ 102.41 in the 1/8th. Ran 17.5 lbs of air in rear slicks with a 2,500 launch rpm. Not a crowded day and had minimal staging lane wait times which was good for ice utilization.

Two weeks ago, on April 25, went to Cecil County Dragway and after a couple of modest shake down runs, (again?!), hit a 10.76 @ 129.22 w/ 1.518 sixty foot. Hit a 6.91 @ 100.03 in the 1/8th. Same tire pressure and launch logistics, but this time had a 50+ minute wait in the staging lines. Junior Drag Day put a hurting on the Test & Tune all day!

Notes:
- Pleased with how the Eaton setup pulled in 4th gear. On the 2 clean runs at Cecil, the back half MPH gains were 28.68 and 29.19. The VMP triple pass w/ upgraded IC pump is doing it's job. Factory Eaton has a reputation for getting a tad warm, but the 17.27 lbs of boost provided by the 2.4"/10% combo did not appear to be an issue here when used with sound icing strategies. Also hit back half MPH's of 29.89 and 30.12 at Beaver Springs on April 3rd.
- Only suspension mods are Roush Upper Control Arm and J & M LCA's. Slicks and track prep go a long way with launch success.
- Really tried to focus on 6,200 rpm shift points. Next time need to start moving towards no lift shifting. Have had some issues in the past with missing gears, and even though the MGW II has been an improvement, I'm still a little scared from the experience!
- Through MPH (129.22) and Race Weight (3,846), estimated Race Tune RWHP from Calulator.net was 648 and from TCI Auto was 646. This computes to about a 5 horsepower gain from every degree added of advance timing. Race tune consisted of 22 degrees of advance timing.
- Long tube headers can be an expensive proposition for these cars if you buy new, get them ceramic coated, and pay for install. I'm still hurting from being 0-3 here! But they sure do help with maintaining peak RWHP and they beg you to shift at a higher rpm point.

IronTerp

Well, my wife was a little late on the video trigger, but she's a trooper to go to the track with me and really supports my go fast hobby so can't get too upset with her.....lol

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats man, that is fantastic. I love it when guys take a different approach and stay with it until desired results are achieved.

Nicely done.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
A tad warm....... :)

Good on you for sticking with the heaton, the 07 GT500s are far from light and yours is making great power on the m122. Great thing about your set up is its reliable, you should be able to drive this everyday and beat the crap out of the car with little to no issues. Congrats!!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Well, my wife was a little late on the video trigger, but she's a trooper to go to the track with me and really supports my go fast hobby so can't get too upset with her.....lol

Awsome, car sounds real good.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats on the setup improvements and improved time slips. You'll have to get a full run video or two this summer assuming you go back to the track. Nice GT500 for sure, Dwight.

BUNKY

S281SVT
Established Member
Nice run.
Hope to get on a track either Summit or MIR
Get some good numbers from both and I'll be happy.
Dwight did you make it to Carlisle?
Stay Safe.
Bunky

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
That's some great driving! Being on the stock blower is super impressive as well! Cecil is such a good track, especially that left lane !!

IronTerp

Thanks fellas. Been fighting the "factory Eaton supercharger is not junk" issue for 17 years now! lol. Car is a blast to drive and is a total stump puller. Would certainly be easier to upgrade to a more efficient blower, but totally enjoy going this route.

Good to hear from you Bunky! Could not make Carlisle. Wish I could of. Just right down the street. Need to retire so I can enjoy this hobby more!

Users who are viewing this thread